PDA

View Full Version : Any one used deft spray lacquer?

John W Johnson
05-18-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm trying to use products I can get locally. I have not used solvent lacquer in several years, and I do not have access to a sprayer anyway. I'm finishing a tiger maple chest that I've dyed, stained, and applied a couple light coats of shellac. i'd like to finish it out with Deft if I can rub out the finish in a few days.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-20-2013, 10:58 AM
I have not used it much, but, I purchased some to spray on chip carvings. last time I used it was on drawer bottoms. Depending on the project, I frequently write on the bottom side of my drawer bottoms. For furniture that I build for my wife, I have my young children draw things on the bottom with marker. if I try to brush a finish on this, it smears the marker, so I spray with deft to seal it.

I chose deft because it was recommended to me by multiple people as a great product. With my limited use, I have had no problems.

I have never tried this, but if you have something other than DEFT that you want to use, it looks interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Preval-Spray-Power-Unit-Container/dp/B001ENSKUY

Robert LaPlaca
05-20-2013, 11:52 AM
If you are taking of the product in the spray can, I have used it and it works fine...But.. Unless you have a very small project the spray can might not be very cost effective. I used the product to finish a single small kitchen drawer box and drawer front and one can just got the job done..

Prashun Patel
05-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I have used Deft in the rattlecans. I have also used the gallon sized cans in my cheap sprayer. I thinned it about 20% with lacquer thinner. I found that in the first couple days if you put something heavy on it, it blocks and sticks and nicks fairly easily. It gets harder over time. While I have not attempted to rub it out (I don't think it needs it if you use the satin or semigloss product) I personally would not try rubbing it out within the first week.

Mike Monroe
05-20-2013, 3:08 PM
I finished a queen sized bed (panel head and foot boards, hefty side rails) using Deft spray cans. Took about five cans, if I remember correctly. Sprayed outside in the shade on the right kind of day, not too hot, not too humid. Done in a day, let everything sit for 3-4 days before assembly, worked out just fine. The top coat was the easiest part of the whole finishing schedule - stain, let dry, shellac seal, glaze, let dry, re-glaze a few spots to get the color right, let dry, shellac seal, wait for the right day to show up on a week-end when nothing else was planned. I'd use Deft spray cans again in a heart beat.