PDA

View Full Version : One Government agency that is Very Well Run

Hilel Salomon
05-17-2013, 4:45 PM
We just returned from a trip through five magnificent national parks in Utah. Each of them was exceptional in every way, but one of the common themes was how well they were managed. The roads were excellent, the trails very well maintained, the printed matter was clear, informative and very useful. The parks' personnel were invariably nice, knowledgeable and friendly. Boy does it pay-in this case- to be a senior. For $10. I have a lifetime pass to any US National Park, so in each case we kept going in an out.
It's nice to see one area where our tax dollars pack a solid punch. Certainly, the many Europeans and Asians touring the parks were impressed.

Kudos NPS.

Hilel

Perry Holbrook
05-17-2013, 5:57 PM
On a recent trip to Zion Nat Pk in Utah, I discovered that most, if not all, of that park is actually operated by an out-sourced company, Xanterra. They run the lodge, buses, 1 of the 2 gift shops (not the one with all Chinese made items), and the snack bar. I am lead to believe that is not unusual for some parks.

Perry

Brian Elfert
05-17-2013, 6:25 PM
And yet, the National Park Service has been complaining about underfunding for a few decades now. Yes, contractors run many of the campgrounds, lodges, restaurants, and other amenities. I know RVers complain all the time about how expensive national park campgrounds run by contractors are vs NPS run campgrounds, but they tend to have way more amenities than the NPS run campgrounds.

Hilel Salomon
05-17-2013, 8:03 PM
I can see how the lodges would be run by a company. What about the roads, trails etc.? The shuttle buses in Zion ran in Springdale as well as in the park. They ran often and were a pleasure. I would imagine that an outside company would have been expensive and we were surprised to find out that they ran on propane. We found the service to be equally good in Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonland. We didn't stay at any of the park lodges or campgrounds. We did a little shopping in the parks but found that many of the items were not Chinese made, and the one in Bryce was very reasonable.

Hilel Salomon
05-17-2013, 8:13 PM
A little research, and I find that Xanterra operates concessions in several parks, but I see no reference to their operating the shuttle buses which are free. Doesn't mean that they don't. The Company does not operate in Bryce, Arches, Capitol Reef or Canyonlands where the roads, trails, and personnel were excellent, so my bubble isn't entirely burst.

Perry Holbrook
05-17-2013, 8:26 PM
A little research, and I find that Xanterra operates concessions in several parks, but I see no reference to their operating the shuttle buses which are free. Doesn't mean that they don't. The Company does not operate in Bryce, Arches, Capitol Reef or Canyonlands where the roads, trails, and personnel were excellent, so my bubble isn't entirely burst.

Didn't mean to try to burst your bubble. I just found it interesting when we were there that so much of our parks are out-sourced. I actually think it is a good idea. An example of that were the 2 gift shops, The one operated by the NPS was over 95% imports, the one operated by Xanterra was about 70% made in USA.

Perry

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2013, 10:11 PM
The next time you are in the area, try visiting Monument Valley. Over 40 movies filmed there including a lot of John Ford / John Wayne movies......Clint Eastwood's Eiger Sanctions......Thema and Louise.....

Not much there but incredibly unforgettable scenery. I saw it first as a child in the late '50s and it had not changed much 50 years later....incredibly beautiful!

Curt Fuller
05-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Actually Hilel, I think the beauty of Southern Utah is just so overwhelming that it makes everything seem perfect!;)

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. You picked a wonderful time of year to visit too. Springtime is really something in the redrock.

Jim Stewart
05-18-2013, 6:37 AM
Glad you enjoyed the parks of Utah. I place those parks as among my favorites. I get a little peeved at the government bashing. I think that most Park Service employees are there because of the love for the parks. It is certainly not for the money. Contracting is not an efficient way to run anything in my opinion. I spent the last 5 years of my career at USGS fighting the replacement of our technicians with contractors. The value of contracting for the Feds is that they get out of entitlements; the main one being retirement. That I admit is a large cost savings, but not an efficiency on the job.
One of my favorite trips to Utah include the, "Valley of the Gods". That is located just North of monument valley and it is really neat. We also enjoyed the Moki Dugway, and the backroads off of Muley point. The dugway drops over a 1000 feet in a hurry.

Hilel Salomon
05-18-2013, 7:37 AM
Bubble bursting is not a bad thing. Learning something is always a good thing. As an East Coast person who loves the Virginia and West Virginia mountains, I knew how beautiful Alaska and Colorado are, but I was wonderfully amazed at how sensational Southern Utah is. I had been a guest lecturer in Provo and Salt Lake City, so I just didn't know about the southern part of the state. Even if you don't enter the parks, a drive through routes 9,89,12, 24 and 95 offer some of the most spectacular scenery I have ever seen. What's particularly nice is how different the areas are from each other. I've been all over the world, but I wish every American could know just how beautiful this country is, and just how nice, friendly and warm the vast majority of Americans are. It boggles the mind to think that some people living in this country could hate it. Sorry to be so gushy, but that's what ran through my mind over the last couple of weeks.

Chris Walls
05-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Any one who loves the wilderness should try to visit Isle Royale National Park , in Lake Superior. It is our LEAST visited National Park. More people got through almost any gate at Yellowstone in a day , than go out to Isle Royale in a season. You do need a good set of legs on you, there are only walking trails. When you get off the boat and walk away from the visitor center , in only a short while it's like you stepped back in time. There is NO noise. very little traffic on the trails at most times of the year. I work with a guy who goes almost every year and he said last year he and his wife camped during late May for 5 days and felt like they had the whole island to themselves. The tent sites they stayed at , they were the only tent there, rarely met anyone on the trail. The summer months are busier, with scouts and hiking groups on the island. It's only open May through October , the rest of the year it belong to the Wolves and the Moose.

Chris

Gordon Eyre
05-20-2013, 5:09 PM
And I am fortunate to live there. I too love the national parks and have had a seniors pass so get to visit often. We also have some pretty State Parks in and around St. George where I live. This is a beautiful time of year in southern Utah.