PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Island Top

Mike Conley
05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Walnut island countertop finished with Waterlox.

Thanks to those in the finishing forum that help answer my questions.

Sam Murdoch
05-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Shiny :D. Looks great!

Peter J Lee
05-17-2013, 2:58 PM
Yeah, that's stunning. I've got a couple things that I want to use Waterlox for. Any thoughts or tips on using the stuff?

Mike Wilkins
05-17-2013, 3:39 PM
That is a stunning addition to the kitchen. I love walnut.

Mike Conley
05-20-2013, 9:24 AM
Yeah, that's stunning. I've got a couple things that I want to use Waterlox for. Any thoughts or tips on using the stuff?

It was really pretty easy to use. I used the wipe on technique. http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com/Articles/ArticleViewPage/tabid/75/ArticleId/5/Wipe-on-Varnish.aspx

Prashun Patel
05-20-2013, 9:34 AM
Looks perfect! Which Waterlox product did you use? OSF or High Gloss. If you used High Gloss, what was your thinning ratio. Also, how many coats did you have to put on. Your grain looks well filled. Must have taken a bunch of coats.

Bruce Volden
05-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Very nice work Mike! How'd the chicken get in the house---that's what I'd call REAL free ranging.

Bruce

Mike Conley
05-20-2013, 7:21 PM
Looks perfect! Which Waterlox product did you use? OSF or High Gloss. If you used High Gloss, what was your thinning ratio. Also, how many coats did you have to put on. Your grain looks well filled. Must have taken a bunch of coats.

I used the OSF.

I filled the grain using Zinsser Sealcoat first. That was a lot of work. I applied 3 or 4 coats of the sealcoat and then sanded it back, which was difficult because it would gum up the sand paper. I then repeated the process and used a scraper to remove most of the shellac and then finished up with sand paper before applying the varnish.