PDA

View Full Version : Trying to buy a cabinet saw

Allen Bookout
05-17-2005, 2:22 PM
I have been waiting for about six weeks for the Jet 708663MBK 3HP left tilt tablesaw with 50" Premier Fence and mobil base. I just received word that it is backordered again and the new date now is June 20th. The total price was $1444 which seemed very good. Now I am just beside my self. The dealer said that he could not get a General for a long while because they would not ship unless he has a very large order. It just seems impossible to buy anything in southwest Florida except standard stock tools. You guys that live in woodworking areas are really lucky that you can just go out and get something when you need it.

I just looked at the Grizzly web site and they have the G1023SLX that looks about like the same as the Jet. With the mobil base and the summer sale price it comes out to about the same amount of money delivered.

Is the Grizzly just as good as the Jet? Is the Classic Shop Fox fence just as good as I understand that the fence is one of the most important parts. Are the Shop Fox mobil bases a good product? Would you go for this saw or try for a general or some other brand?

Thanks! Allen

Jeff Sudmeier
05-17-2005, 2:24 PM
Allen,

Have you checked Amazon? You should be able to get them to match the price you received. Plus they have free shipping.

Good luck in your search!

Allen Bookout
05-17-2005, 2:28 PM
Well Jeff, That has to be a record on response time. Allen

Matt Meiser
05-17-2005, 2:42 PM
You might check with Wilke Machinery on a Bridgewood saw as well. They were great when I recently bought my jointer.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-17-2005, 2:54 PM
Well Jeff, That has to be a record on response time. Allen
:) Just happened to see your post.

I looked out on amazon. They do have the saw you are looking at, however it is $55 higher there. If you give them a call, they may match the $1444 price over the phone. If not, are you going to have to pay sales tax locally? If so, you may break even buying it from them and you will have it quicker.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00064NGUG/qid=1116355855/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-4458140-7496703?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846

No affiliation with Amazon, just have purchased a few tools through them, both that were price matched and am happy with their service.

Jerry Coble
05-17-2005, 2:55 PM
I cant find a way to post a message without replying. Forgive me but I need help cutting compound miters for crown mouldings. I have the tools But havent figured the proper placement of the moulding to get the correct angle. Thanks , Jerry

Allen Bookout
05-17-2005, 3:07 PM
Matt, I checked Wilke and that looks like a possibility. Jeff, I just checked Amazon and I looked at their price matching policy and the product has to be in stock at the place that you are giving the price from so I do not suppose that it would work. The $55 extra is not a big deal, however I might just go with Grizzly if members think that it is just as good a product.

Thanks! Allen

Tim Morton
05-17-2005, 3:15 PM
Are you driving distance to GA? Redumnds is having a special on a refurbed uni with commercial 50" beis plus 2 cast iron wings and extension table. FWIW:D

http://www.redmond-machinery.com

Allen Bookout
05-17-2005, 3:34 PM
Tim, I see what you are talking about. Delta 36-l31x-bc50r 10" left tilt Delta 3HP unisaw (reconditioned) for $1349.95. From what I have seen on this forum people seem to really like their unisaws. Is this a true statement? Are these saws American made and are they real good quality? I seem to get the impression that they are as good as you can buy. Any comments?

Also, I did buy the American made Delta 14" upper part of the bandsaw from Redmond and they were great to deal with. The saw was in Bradenton, Fl in two days. What a shock. I had to really hustle to run up there and get it. Thanks for the heads up!

Frank Pellow
05-17-2005, 3:42 PM
I cant find a way to post a message without replying. Forgive me but I need help cutting compound miters for crown mouldings. I have the tools But havent figured the proper placement of the moulding to get the correct angle. Thanks , Jerry
Jerry, see the thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20340

Bob Aquino
05-17-2005, 4:19 PM
Allen
I bought a recon uni from Redmonds about 5 years ago and have no regrets. At the time it was 1000 with a Biesmeyer 50" fence. Shipping as I recall was over a hundred but not that much more. Good folks to deal with. You couldnt tell that the saw was not new cept for a recon tag from delta on the back. Only consideration is that the shipping may make the price equal or close to what you could get from Amazon. Price it out and see.

Tim Morton
05-17-2005, 4:37 PM
Tim, I see what you are talking about. Delta 36-l31x-bc50r 10" left tilt Delta 3HP unisaw (reconditioned) for $1349.95. From what I have seen on this forum people seem to really like their unisaws. Is this a true statement? Are these saws American made and are they real good quality? I seem to get the impression that they are as good as you can buy. Any comments?

Also, I did buy the American made Delta 14" upper part of the bandsaw from Redmond and they were great to deal with. The saw was in Bradenton, Fl in two days. What a shock. I had to really hustle to run up there and get it. Thanks for the heads up!

I bought the delta 14" top as well...I think I covered it pretty well a couple weeks ago here:D. In fact based on my dealings with Rich at redmunds is why I suggested you take a look at the recon, you might call rich and ask him your questions...I have never heard of a uni that wasn't made in the USA...but I may be wrong. i would not say its as "good as you can buy"...but at that price it should be on the short list of 2 or 3. Stepping up and over the 2grand mark you get to look at PM and general...but I would think the uni would be a great saw with all those extra's at that price.

Kevin Post
05-17-2005, 4:43 PM
I just bought the same package from Amazon for $1499. I'm not thrilled with the fence system. Specifically, I don't like the cursor and rule on the Jet Premier fence as much as the Biesemeyer. I don't think it operates as smoothly either. Other than that, it's a solid machine.

FYI: I read in another thread on SMC that Woodworker's Supply has 3HP Unisaws with the 50" Biesemeyer fence including the mobile base for the same price... $1499 plus free freight. Had I known, I would have bought that package instead of the Jet.

-Kevin

Maurice Ungaro
05-17-2005, 4:52 PM
Allen,
Don't forget, as you are out of state (with regard to Redmond), youpay no sales tax, and therefore, may be able to afford shipping. If you travel to Atlanta to pick it up, you pay local sales tax (7%), which works out to $97.65 in tax. Given the time, effort and GAS it takes to get to Atlanta, you may be better off having them ship it to you.

My brother was going to have them ship a Uni out to him in California, and it was about $300 to get it out there. I'm sure your shipping cost would not be more than $200.

And yes, the X series tools are American made. ......another reason to think about getting this one.

Frank Pellow
05-17-2005, 5:05 PM
And yes, the X series tools are American made. ......another reason to think about getting this one.
I have three Delta X series machines that I purchased earlier this year that are not made in the USA.

These are:

___16.5" Drill Press 17-990X

___8" Jointer (DJ-20) 37-365X

___15" Planer 22-785X

and they are all made in China.

By the way, I am happy with the quality of all these machines.

Allen Bookout
05-17-2005, 5:32 PM
All of you are making me feel much better and I thank you so much!!!!! It looks to me like that the uni from Redmond is the way to go depending on the shipping cost. I am certain that they will not be out of line as the bandsaw top that I had shipped from them was very reasonable. Thanks again! I will keep an eye out for more responses and will check with Redmond tomorrow. Allen

Kelly C. Hanna
05-17-2005, 5:48 PM
I have a Grizzly 1023s and it's a great saw...wouldn't trade it. That said, the Jet is a nice saw as is the Uni.

To the guy looking for compound miters...Google it for the exact settings to cut crown...that is IF your ceiling and walls are all perfect 90*s.... :D:D:D

mike malone
05-17-2005, 10:22 PM
allen...check out this test...it may help with your search
mike

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00042.asp

Allen Bookout
05-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks Mike for the link to finewoodworking. A very helpful report. And thanks Kelly on the Grizzly report. It appears that as long as you stay with either Bridgewood, Delta Uni, Jet, General, Grizzly, Inca or Powermatic that you are going to get a good saw.

After hearing from Bob,s experience with a reconditioned Delta Uni from Redmond I am very tempted to go that route - especially since it is made in America. I sure hope that I do not make our Canadian friends upset by this remark so I will include that made in Canada is OK also. I am just tired of exporting jobs and manufacturing out of North America. I hope that these comments do not violate any forum rules. If they do let me know and I will refrain from here on out. Oh well ---- I will not make any more anyway, just a slip of the keyboard.

If I go the reconditioned uni route I will post a report just in case anyone is interested.

THANKS TO ALL!!! Allen

Dev Emch
05-18-2005, 1:07 AM
Hi Allen...

If your in Florida, you may wish to try "The Utter Guys" who work out of Sanford, Fla. and have a history of wheeling and dealing. You may stumble on some great used general or new general.

Another hot tip is this outfit.... Barbers Machinery

P.O. Box 3306 (863) 676-1285
5 East Lincoln Avenue (800) 237-5420
Lk. Wales, FL 33859 fax (863) 676-1021

Currently, these guys have several used unisaws available as well as an Invicta which was sold under an OEM contract by Delta. Many of Delta's bigger machines were made by Invicta. Also note that "The Utter Guys" may be a direct importer of Invicta. I did see a lovely Rockwell Unisaw on the website. I assume you know about the names... Delta -> Rockwell -> Delta/Rockwell -> Delta.

Also get on the blower with The Woodsmith Store in Iowa. See my posting a couple of weeks back on my trip to their pro shop. Lots of general in there. You may also try Ashman Tech in Canada.

If you need to ship, begin looking for an LTL shiper. Call a few companies and ask about LTL. Ask the folks at "THE UTTER GUYS" about how they ship. I know that they know the tricks. LTL means Less Than Load. If you go straight to UPS or Yellow, your going to get slaughterd. Check out www.freightquote.com (http://www.freightquote.com) and call them. See if you can tack your order onto another shipment. If you have to have it tommorrow, your dead. You will pay. But if you can offer some flexibility, then you can find some deals. The idea of doing this type of LTL is to offer truckers a backhaul opportunity to help pay for fuel to get home. They have dropped their 20,000 pounds of refrigerated salsa and now need to find a few items to pay the fuel on the return trip.

Personally, I would I would look for either a general 350 or 650. Woodsmith often has them in stock and may also have some shipping connections. Just hang in there and keep at it. In the long run, he who laughs last laughs loadest.

Good Luck

mike malone
05-18-2005, 1:11 AM
hey allen
good choice can't go wrong with the UNIsaw...lots of accessories, etc and good resale value..... and made here.
enjoy it
mike

Mike Leonard
05-18-2005, 6:02 AM
Allen,

Try these guys as well. They are in Macon, GA. I have no affiliation what so ever, just stumbled onto them on the web. They are advertising a JET 10" 3HP Left tilt with mobile base and extension table for $1390.00.

BIBB TOOL & CUTTER INC
478-743-7299
CALL WES OR NEAL
MASTER DIST. FOR JET, POWERMATIC, PERFORMAX
SINCE 1989
800-996-2422

Allen Bookout
05-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Kevin Post, in this thread, mentioned the Uni at Woodworker's Supply. I checked it out and placed an order with them for the Delta Uni 3HP, left tilt, 50" Biesemeyer fence package, including the dust collection port and a free 50-289 mobil base ($160 at Amazon) and free freight. The sales person (David Owen - I am not sure that the last name is spelled correctly) is having it delivered with a truck with a lift since it will be delivered directly to my home. He said about a three day delivery but they are waiting for more to come in and will be here any day. I HOPE! You get on the order list faster if you order by phone instead of over the internet.

The price was $1499.99 plus $13.95 handling charge for a grand total of $1513.94. New saw and no shipping charge.

If anyone is interested their web site is: www.woodworker.com

Thanks to Everyone! Allen

Ron Taylor
05-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Allen, I have the Griz 1023 with the Shop Fox fence, but I don't have the mobil base. I love both the saw and the fence. This is my first cabinet saw, so don't have a base of reference on other models, but couldn't be happier with my saw nor the service from Grizzly.

I regularly check the setup on my table, blade, and fence with a dial runout guage, and they have remained dead true for the two years that I have owned the saw.

I have the Incra 5000 Mitre Sled and do a lot of changeout between the sled and the fence. This change takes seconds and has had absolutely no detrimental effect on setup.

Maurice Ungaro
05-18-2005, 2:51 PM
I have three Delta X series machines that I purchased earlier this year that are not made in the USA.
Wow...Frank....my grave error. Glad to know the quality is up there......but makes me hesitant to purchase these things at a premium. I guess if they're on sale, it's a good deal.

Allen Bookout
05-18-2005, 3:15 PM
I did call back to make sure that the UNI that I ordered from Woodworker's Supply was made in the USA and they assured me that it was, for whatever difference that makes to anyone. allen

jack duren
05-18-2005, 6:11 PM
what difference does it make if the saw is made in USA. still a unisaw....jack

Jason Tuinstra
05-18-2005, 8:11 PM
Allen, sorry I'm a bit late with this post, but I'm glad to hear that you took the route that I was going to recommend. I have never orderd this big of a machine before, and it went as smooth as smooth can be with Woodworkers Supply. Excellent service!!! You'll be very, very happy. Enjoy!

markgoodall
05-18-2005, 8:35 PM
My Unisaw was made entirely in the USA. It's about 7 years old now.

Some if not all Unisaws are made in Taiwan now, I believe. It's hard to keep track of what's still made in the USA these days. Seems less and less unfortunately.

I go to Remonds Machinery often. For the record, they are one of my customers now (I'm an IT consultant) but I'm speaking as one of their customers. I've been a customer of theirs for a lot longer.

I haven't seen their recond. Unisaws recently, but in the past I've taken a good close look at them and they were in excellent shape. Kind of like a scratch and dent sale, except I could rarely find any scratches or dents.

It was my understanding that these were machines that were returned for various reasons, usually shipping problems, and whatever was dented or broken was replaced so they were pretty much new. It was rare that there was one that didn't have it's cosmoline coating on top or had any traces of saw dust inside. I don't think many were ever used to cut wood.

I believe they are still an excellent deal. I wish I knew about Redmonds when I bought my Unisaw. I only found them a few months afterwards.... but I've made up by buy ALOT of other things from them.

I'm sure the imported saws are fine, but if I had a choice between a new import or one of the few remaining USA made Unisaws even if was a recond. I'd buy the recond. one.

Happy Woodworking!

Kevin Herber
05-18-2005, 9:58 PM
Allen - I am the person Kevin was referring to in post #13. I placed the same order with Woodworkers Supply. They told me the units were on back order until June 6 but their shipments normally run earlier than expected.

What date did they give you?

Great deal -- I can't wait get it.

-- Kevin Herber

Jim VanBramer
05-19-2005, 12:57 AM
If I were you I'd definitely check out the Utterguys. They have the ShopFox W1677EXT1 cabinet saw with 52" rails and Classic (Bies clone) fence for $1149. A friend and I both picked one of these up last Christmas and absolutely love 'em! Just my opinion, but well worth checking out if you ask me.

Richard Niemiec
05-19-2005, 8:23 AM
Musing on the made in USA versus China, I note that the Chinese Yuan is reportedly to be revalued sooner or later, and what that means for the importers into the US is higher prices at the wholesale level. So watch for the prices of the heavy iron to rise over time, and if you are close to pulling the trigger do it now if you're value conscious and/or budget "challenged" as retail prices on imports won't likely get better than they are right now. USA made equipment will not likely rise because of the Yuan revaluation, but may rise to "market acceptance" levels (e.g., USA made premium over import pricing) to grab some extra profit. PS: my "Great White" unisaur was made in the USA, don't know if they still are.

Allen Bookout
05-19-2005, 9:08 AM
Richard, Very interesting! I am sure that we will see another price increase in the not to distant future.

Hey Jim, I did look at Utterguys and the ShopFox looked like a good deal but I was not real familiar with them other than the name. I am glad to know that they are good saws but I have already place my order with Woodworker's Supply for the UNI. Thanks!

Kevin Herber, They did not give me a date but the salesman (David Owens - I am not sure the last name is spelled right) said that they are expecting them in any day. BUT you know how that goes as I waited for the Jet for six weeks and then the backorder was extended for another four weeks and who knows after that. Could be the best thing that has happened to me recently. As a side note I was born and raised it Texas - near Dalhart (Hartley). Same state but a whole other country.

Great information from everyone and I appreicate it!!!! Allen

Frank Pellow
05-19-2005, 9:19 AM
Kevin Post, in this thread, mentioned the Uni at Woodworker's Supply. I checked it out and placed an order with them for the Delta Uni 3HP, left tilt, 50" Biesemeyer fence package, including the dust collection port and a free 50-289 mobil base ($160 at Amazon) and free freight. The sales person (David Owen - I am not sure that the last name is spelled correctly) is having it delivered with a truck with a lift since it will be delivered directly to my home. He said about a three day delivery but they are waiting for more to come in and will be here any day. I HOPE! You get on the order list faster if you order by phone instead of over the internet.

The price was $1499.99 plus $13.95 handling charge for a grand total of $1513.94. New saw and no shipping charge.

If anyone is interested their web site is: www.woodworker.com

Thanks to Everyone! Allen
Allen, I hope any day is soon and that you will be posting pictures of the saw in your shop within the next week or so.

Bill Fields
05-19-2005, 9:20 AM
Allen:

While I have no experience with relative quality, Sears occasionally offers their Craftsman cabinet saws as low as $899 (someone saw it for $799!), and it comes w/ a basic Bies fence and (I believe) a mobile base.

Also, you asked about American-made--the bettter Taiwan and Chinese tools are quite good--usually beefier, due to no attempt to save weight.

Among other factors, it comes down to "Will I be using this tool every day?".

In that case, you will kick youself for accepting less than optimum quality, convenience and durability.

Good luck!

BIll Fields

Kevin Herber
05-19-2005, 9:29 AM
Richard, Very interesting! I am sure that we will see another price increase in the not to distant future.

Hey Jim, I did look at Utterguys and the ShopFox looked like a good deal but I was not real familiar with them other than the name. I am glad to know that they are good saws but I have already place my order with Woodworker's Supply for the UNI. Thanks!

Kevin Herber, They did not give me a date but the salesman (David Owens - I am not sure the last name is spelled right) said that they are expecting them in any day. BUT you know how that goes as I waited for the Jet for six weeks and then the backorder was extended for another four weeks and who knows after that. Could be the best thing that has happened to me recently. As a side note I was born and raised it Texas - near Dalhart (Hartley). Same state but a whole other country.

Great information from everyone and I appreicate it!!!! Allen
Allen - Dalhart - I've been snowed in there twice. I am originally from Wyoming so when I drive up there I go through Dumas to Dalhart an on to Raton. I know that area well. Who'd ever thunk you could get snowed in somewhere in Texas!!

Good luck with your saw. Sounds like you are as excited as I am. I'll post as soon as I hear anything from Woodworkers Supply.

BTW - Did you know Woodworker's Supply started in Casper, Wyoming?

-- Kevin

Allen Bookout
05-19-2005, 9:31 AM
Markgoodall, I did not mean to leave you out. The reason that I did not buy from Redmonds was that by the time that I added a Delta mobile base and paid for the shipping is was quite a bit more than the new one from Woodworker;s Supply, plus I have to drive about a hour to the closest drop point that they ship to and load it on my trailer, drive back home and unload whereas W.S. is going to unload it right here at my home. I was very happy with my previous dealing with Redmond's though. The reconditioned Delta bandsaw that I bought from them was brand new. Something to do with the legal aspect. Thanks!

Thanks Frank! Always good to see your post. Allen

Yes - the Texas panhandle. During the winter you would think that you were in Alaska.

Allen Bookout
05-20-2005, 11:19 AM
For anyone waiting for a UNI special form Woodworker's Supply, I know that Kevin is, I just talked to their operation in North Carolina and they said that they were expecting delivery within the next week and a half. It is probably the same for the New Mexico store but I did not specifically ask. Seems like that I heard the same story from Jet about two months ago and still no saw but I feel more confident with Woodworker's Supply. We will see I guess. Allen