PDA

View Full Version : Electromagnetic pendulum clock

Dick Bipes
05-17-2013, 9:33 AM
I've designed and built a few clocks, using Baltic birch plywood for the wheels (larger gears). But I've wanted to use hardwood and add some 3D features to the otherwise flat wheels, so that's what I'm doing on this clock. My box entry didn't win the Baileigh contest, but Carvewright is sponsoring an open contest, so I need to step up my game with this project, as it will be submitted to the contest.

262457 262458
Starting with the wheels, I cut 7/16" oak wedges on the table saw and glued them up four pieces at a time. Turns out I was off by a fraction of a degree, but by gluing up the blanks in halves, each half could be easily trued up on the bench sander before gluing the halves together.

Another Carvewright owner wrote a nifty program for creating gear teeth, and I use that to create the vector cut for the teeth. The rest of the gear is carved with a raster cut. I don't do 3D modeling, but use drawing programs to create grayscale height maps for the parts that I carve. After the wheel comes out of the machine, there is lots of sanding and finishing work.

262461 262462
At this point, all of the wheels and pinions have been machined and test fit.

Curt Harms
05-18-2013, 7:49 AM
Neat! Looking forward to the finished product.

Jeff Monson
05-19-2013, 3:28 PM
Very cool Dick, make sure to post some progress pics!!

Bruce Page
05-19-2013, 6:08 PM
Awesome! I would love to see pictures of the finished clock. Do yo have any concerns about wood movement with the solid wood?

Dick Bipes
05-20-2013, 8:30 PM
Bruce, no concerns about wood movement. Others have build clock wheels in this fashion.

Here is the clock face:

One set of gears features a one-way clutch, to allow the minute and hour hands to be moved by hand clockwise to set the time:
262727 262728

I will use a light spring or a lever and weight to hold the clutch parts together.

Dick Bipes
05-21-2013, 1:01 PM
The front portion of the clock is done.

The second hand shaft rides on bearings front and back, and actually passes through the center of the minute hand shaft without touching it. This allows the ratchet wheel and second hand shaft to spin with very little friction. The rest of the arbors ride on brass bushings, just brass tubes one size smaller than the arbors. This construction keeps the mechanism virtually effortless to turn, so that the relatively weak electromagnetic pendulum can keep it moving.
262813 262814

I have used a variety of woods - maple pinions and frame, oak wheels, pine face, and walnut hands.

Bruce Page
05-21-2013, 2:25 PM
Pretty darn cool!

Dick Bipes
05-24-2013, 11:06 AM
I just got my clock assembled and running yesterday. The back is not quite complete; it will accommodate the 4 D cells needed to run the clock. For now I am using a power supply. The square bob is just for test purposes. Now I need to disassemble it and finish it with lacquer.

Help me come up with a name for this clock!

http://youtu.be/7rl3De1Lj50

Terry Barnhill
05-25-2013, 11:42 AM
How about Terry's clock?! :). Looks very good and sounds even better.

Dick Bipes
06-04-2013, 4:13 PM
Sorry Terry, I used a different name.

While this was designed to be a wall clock, it will potentially be travelling and put on display, so I made a display stand for it.

263766 263767 263768

Here is a video describing the design and some of the construction:

http://youtu.be/bJhiP7XDl0Y