PDA

View Full Version : Wood for a Park Bench - Eastern Red Cedar vs White Oak vs ?

Ken Frohnert
05-17-2013, 8:53 AM
I bought 6 cast iron park bench ends off CL and plan on cleaning them up. I want to make the benches about 4' long and the slats will be about 2.25" wide.
I was thinking of ERC or White Oak since they are available locally. I am afraid the white oak will get splintery over time outside but I don't know about using the ERC I have never worked with it. I think it would weather good but don't know about the other wood properties. Someone else suggested locust but - that stuff is dang hard to cut I cannot image woodworking with it.

Any thoughts on White Oak vs ERC vs ? for the slats on a 4' long outdoor park bench?

Jamie Buxton
05-17-2013, 9:55 AM
Cedar is quite soft. If these benches are for your own use, maybe that's okay. However, if they're going into a public space -- suggested by the fact you're making three benches -- I'd go with the much tougher oak.

Jeff Duncan
05-17-2013, 11:08 AM
If you want it to last more than say ten years or so....Ipe.

good luck,
JeffD

Julie Moriarty
05-17-2013, 11:38 AM
For life longevity and structural strength, without paying a premium price, take a look at cedartone pressure treated lumber (http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/MidwestManufacturing/productDetail.do?groupId=1&productTypeId=5&lineId=124&productId=450) (CPT). I know Menards sells it.
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Gazebo/gaz_proj_19.jpg
The joists in the photo above are all made from CPT. The sheeting was stained cedar. You could tone it with something like Defy Extreme after the wood dries, if you don't like the bright color.

But if you want something really nice and price isn't an issue, then go with Jeff's suggestion - Ipe (http://www.builddirect.com/Wood-Decking/-Ipe/ProductDisplay_9644_P1_10080204.aspx?utm_id=20&cpao=132&cpag=All+Product+Lines&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=pricegrabber). It's gorgeous wood and practically impervious to weather.

Peter Quinn
05-17-2013, 12:16 PM
I'd go with the white oak, seal the end grain well, leave a planed mill finish on all surfaces, don't sand which will open the grain leading to fuzzy rough surfaces going forward, you may want to water pop it and scrape lightly before sealing the faces. If we are talking about the same ERC, the stuff I've seen is mainly used out side for novalties and inside for closets, its not particularly strong, so I worry about the 48" span. What thickness did you envision and is there any cross bracing? Ipe or teak are both better choices, but far more expensive. Cumaru or one of the host of tough decking woods now being sold (tiger wood, marente, etc) might have a better combination of strength duribility and value if they are available in your area.

John TenEyck
05-17-2013, 2:01 PM
Actually Black Locust is easy to work with carbide tools and very beautiful. Here's a bench I made with it, finished with Epifanes Marine Varnish:

Left unfinished, it well weather grey like most woods, and it will last nearly forever outdoors. I think it is THE most durable native wood we have in the US. If you can get it, it would be a great choice for your benches.

John

Ole Anderson
05-17-2013, 9:47 PM
When I redid my park style bench I used Ipe. The Chinese wood that came with it didn't last very long.