PDA

View Full Version : how dry must wood be to glue properly?

Wade Lippman
05-16-2013, 4:42 PM
I need to glue up some PT wood. It is about 18% moisture. Will it glue with TBIII?
I have it sitting out in the sun now, but it probably won't get much lower.

Brian Tymchak
05-17-2013, 8:18 AM
Wade, wish I could give you a direct answer to that question. But I can say that I prefer to use a urethane glue (Gorilla Glue specifically) to glue PT. It requires moisture to cure. I've used it to glue PT pads to the bottom of my hot tub stairs, which frequently sit in 1-2" of water after a heavy rain. No failures yet.

Wade Lippman
05-17-2013, 9:29 AM
I thought of urethane, but want to put in some dominoes and I am not sure I will have enough open time to get it all glued up with dominoes. I can skip the dominoes...

It does have to be waterproof, but TBIII is waterproof, isn't it?

I have used epoxy in the past where I need long open time and waterproofing, but I don't know if epoxy will be any better than TBIII on wet wood.

Wade Lippman
05-17-2013, 9:35 PM
I just glued it up with urethane. Wish me luck.

Dave Kirby
09-29-2013, 4:45 PM
Wade, wish I could give you a direct answer to that question. But I can say that I prefer to use a urethane glue (Gorilla Glue specifically) to glue PT. It requires moisture to cure. I've used it to glue PT pads to the bottom of my hot tub stairs, which frequently sit in 1-2" of water after a heavy rain. No failures yet.

THIS +1! Most definitely Gorila Glue urethane glue would be the right tool for the job!