PDA

View Full Version : 20 minute MS fence stop for repeat cuts...

Michael Dunn
05-16-2013, 4:03 PM
Hey guys!!!

Over the last several years I've built all sorts of jigs, fixtures, stands, and what not for almost every tool in my shop. So far, my miter saw is the only power tool without a dedicated station. This really stinks when I need to batch out several dozen parts. Large parts in particular. I can do small to medium batched cross cuts on the TS with no problem.

Today I need to 16 pieces to exactly 54-15/32". This was not going happen on my TS. Perhaps if my pieces were already identical in length. They're not.

So I quickly cobbled this together...

Next on my shop "To do" list is a dedicated MS station. I have some plans from an old issue of Wood. I've had them for 5 years or so. I haven't really needed it until now. I wish it was already done. Thank God for quick thinking.

Michael Dunn
05-16-2013, 4:27 PM
What's wrong with this picture?

Jeff Monson
05-16-2013, 4:38 PM
Hmmmmmm..........you now have nowhere to store your tee shirts, socks and underwear?

Michael Dunn
05-16-2013, 6:09 PM
Ha! Lol! Nice... I garbage picked that last week. With the intent of using the Poplar.

Keep guessing though. After my first cut I realized something wasn't right. I fixed it.

Can anyone guess what it was? I'm sure glad it only took one cut for me to notice.

Ron Kellison
05-16-2013, 6:24 PM
What keeps the Miter saw from moving between (or during) a cut? It's impossible to make a repeatable cut if the saw moves.

Best regards,

Ron

Harley Reasons
05-16-2013, 7:29 PM
Since I don't have room for a dedicated MS station I opted for a Ridgid MS Cart a few years ago. Just checked the Big Orange BORG and they have a different one now. Not as sturdy looking as my old model one was. The Ridgid stand has support arms that go out and the support arms have fold down legs. The big plus is that it breaks down and you push it around like a two wheel dolly. Still takes floor space just not as much.
Ridgid Cart (http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-AC9945/202673168#.UZVqc7VW9yJ)

Michael Dunn
05-16-2013, 8:19 PM
What keeps the Miter saw from moving between (or during) a cut? It's impossible to make a repeatable cut if the saw moves.

Best regards,

Ron

Bingo. Cool idea. I overlooked the most important aspect. Thankfully I noticed after just one cut.

David L Morse
05-16-2013, 8:48 PM
Biesemeyer has (had?) a nice solution for that...

Rich Engelhardt
05-16-2013, 11:24 PM
You'll want to add some sort of dust relief to the stop block also.
When sawdust accumulates on it, your cuts get mysteriously shorter.
Just clamp it up off the surface of the bed by about an 8th to a quarter inch.

Michael Dunn
05-16-2013, 11:42 PM
For sure. I usually do an 1/8" chamfer. I ended up just wiping and blowing the dust away as it accumulated.

Once I'm finished with these 3 PAID projects (as in, I'm finally getting some clients) ill surely build an MS station.

Rich Engelhardt
05-17-2013, 8:08 AM
This is sort of a timely thread since I'm just now getting around to putting my CMS on wheels.
I've been using (and been 100% happy with) a Sears universal miter saw stand.
For the price ($79 on sale) you can't beat it for an on the job site stand.
Around the shop though - it takes up too much room, is hard to move out into the driveway & takes up a lot of floor space w/all the dead space under it.

I made a platform for it and ended up with some storage space under it to store 2 of my 4 miter saws & put some 4" casters on it so I can roll it out into the driveway.

I gave up trying to get some kind of workable dust control on the miter saws. I just wheel them outside now and blast them with a leaf blower.

Harley Reasons
05-17-2013, 9:13 AM
Here is the answer to your dust control for a mitre saw: Dust Hood (http://www.amazon.com/Fastcap-Chopsaw-Saw-Hood/dp/B005I3B3JG/ref=sr_1_105?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1368795978&sr=1-105)