PDA

View Full Version : good idea or bad idea....

Dustin Crawford
05-16-2013, 3:06 PM
Hey guys. I need a router circle jig and like the rockler style. I have some 3/4 MDF or 1/2 Mel I will use to make it. But in my head I picture a recess routed in that the router drops into. This would allow you to either screw the router to the jig like normal or use without it being screwed which would allow you to keep your hands in one position and not bother with screwing/unscrewing. Here is a visual although this guy screwed his down.

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FOG/XUYI/G0ZWKJP4/FOGXUYIG0ZWKJP4.MEDIUM.jpg

Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

johnny means
05-16-2013, 3:39 PM
I do this all the time with a board with three cleats nailed around the router base. Never had any issues.

Tom Ewell
05-16-2013, 3:43 PM
I screw the router to my circle jigs, pretty much one hand the top of the router anyway when it's jigged up like that. I almost exclusively use a plunge router in that instance. Turn it on and push down and around until the cut is at depth or through. As long as the jig is stable, accuracy is fine with this method. Can also lock down the router and have one hand on the jig and the other on the router to manipulate the cutting.

Dave Richards
05-16-2013, 3:43 PM
It could be a problem is the diameter of the base isn't perfectly centered on the cutter. You might wind up with some interesting results.