PDA

View Full Version : Still a great deal Nicholson Rasps @JamesTown

James Carmichael
05-17-2005, 9:28 AM
Well, I'm a bit slower than most, I ran into this deal by accident then saw where Dave posted it in December of last year. I was head's-down doing 80-hour weeks then, so no wonder I missed it.

Anyhow, the deal is still there, the #49 and #50 Pattern-maker's rasps are almost 50% off at JamesTown distributors. I just ordered mine yesterday and thought I'd post a reminder in case anyone else had missed it. I believe the prices are good through June.

Les Spencer
05-17-2005, 2:24 PM
Thanks for heads up. Being new to group I would have missed it if you had seen it when it was first posted. Great price is right. Ordered one each.;)

Jim DeLaney
05-17-2005, 9:28 PM
Yeah, it's a great deal! Several months ago, I bought both the 49 & 50 for about the same as what Woodcraft wants for just one of them.

Jim Young
05-17-2005, 9:45 PM
Been wanting these two rasps but kept hesitating at the Woodcraft price. Now I put my order in. Thanks for the heads up.

Doug Shepard
05-18-2005, 7:57 AM
James - Those ARE awesome prices. I've been holding off buying, but at those prices I'm taking the plunge. Thanks for the heads-up. Do you know which of the Nicholson handles they sell is appropriate for the rasps? They've got 5 different ones listed, of various sizes. I'd like to get the handles at the same time, but am not sure which to order. I can always call them, but thought you might have already gone through this and figured out which.

Gary Herrmann
05-18-2005, 3:57 PM
I bought the rubber handles with the rectangular holes when I purchased the rasps earlier this year. They work just fine.

tony roth
05-18-2005, 6:28 PM
How much use can you get out of a rasp like that? when it eventually gets dull, do you throw it away or try and get it sharpened? also, what might you recommend for handle, do you make your own? thx. tony.

Doug Shepard
05-18-2005, 9:17 PM
I bought the rubber handles with the rectangular holes when I purchased the rasps earlier this year. They work just fine.

Gary - thanks for the tip. I did a bit more searching on their site and found them. I had originally searched "nicholson" and was only seeing their wooden handles. The rubber ones look like they'd probably be easier on the hands too. Just placed my order for the 49/50 and rubber handles.

Clay Craig
05-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Tony,

You can have them sharpened when they get dull. Or, you can do what I did, and have your brand-new Nicholsons sharpened before you ever even use them ...!

Boggs Tool does an amazing job sharpening old or new rasps and files, and they can sharpen a new Nicholson 49 and 50 set so well that they are almost too sharp to handle. Plus, they are only 2 or 3 dollars each to sharpen, and you can ship as many as you can fit in a flat-rate Priority mail flat-box all the way to Boggs in CA for $7.70.

I feel like a 'Boggs evangelist,' but if you could see the difference they can make, even on a brand-new high-quality rasp, you'd understand! Naturally, no connection, just a very happy customer.

Boggs Tool - File & Rasp Sharpening (http://www.boggstool.com/)

Clay

James Carmichael
05-24-2005, 1:00 PM
Tony,

You can have them sharpened when they get dull. Or, you can do what I did, and have your brand-new Nicholsons sharpened before you ever even use them ...!

Boggs Tool does an amazing job sharpening old or new rasps and files, and they can sharpen a new Nicholson 49 and 50 set so well that they are almost too sharp to handle. Plus, they are only 2 or 3 dollars each to sharpen, and you can ship as many as you can fit in a flat-rate Priority mail flat-box all the way to Boggs in CA for $7.70.

I feel like a 'Boggs evangelist,' but if you could see the difference they can make, even on a brand-new high-quality rasp, you'd understand! Naturally, no connection, just a very happy customer.

Boggs Tool - File & Rasp Sharpening (http://www.boggstool.com/)

Clay

Very interesting, Clay, thanks for posting the link.

By mentioning the "INTERNET NEW CUSTOMER OFFER", they'll sharpen 2 files or burrs free (dunno if that applies to rasps).

I find lots of old files and rasps in pawn shop or flea market rust bins for next to nothing, they're one of the few old hand tools you can find with regularity here in TX (as I've bemoaned many times, this is old WW tool purgatory!). It's good to know I can get them sharpened, I use an old farrier's rasp for my new neander passion, bow tillering (can flint-knapping be far behind!).