PDA

View Full Version : First question for y'all

Edward Mitton
05-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Is there anyone here who owns or has used the Putsch 600mm ripsaw offered by Woodcraft? I am contemplating purchasing one, mainly with an eye toward getting a useful rip saw at a reasonable price ($54).

Chris Griggs
05-16-2013, 11:33 AM
I haven't used them but I feel like I've heard not so good things about them.

You'd probably be best off posting a WTB add in the SMC classified for a vintage rip. I bet a lot of folks have extra, "2nd line" Disstons (as in they were made by Disston but not labelled as such) around that they wouldn't mind sending you for a that price or less.

Jim Koepke
05-16-2013, 11:36 AM
For a lot of people here, useful saws tend to be found at yard sales, flea markets and ebay.

For many it seems scary but cleaning and sharpening a saw if really not that difficult of a job. The hardest part is deciding what angle and tooth count. My suggestion would be to start at the easy end then later change the specifications to suite your own style.

The last new saw I bought was a hack saw or one for my son about 20 years ago so he could play with it.

jtk

David Weaver
05-16-2013, 11:45 AM
There should be used rip saws avaiable for $50, and sharpened. Maybe not on ebay, but you could probably dig one up, i know I've sold off extras cheaper than that. They'll have better taper, probably better steel, and as long as you go back far enough, a nicer handle.

I'd go that route if I were in your shoes. If you're looking for a do-all rip, you'll want something in the 5 1/2 or 6 point range. It won't be too hard on 4/4 stuff if its set up well. Finer than that only if you intend to do really fine work with it.

Edward Mitton
05-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks, Good advice... I have no qualms with refurbing and sharpening a vintage saw. I think old ones look nicer than new ones anyway.

Edward Mitton
05-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Hi, Folks,
I found my rip saw. We have an older gentleman in our neighborhood who is a retired patternmaker. He now spends his time buying boxes of tools at flea markets, estates sale, etc. Every spring and fall he holds a HUGE yard sale. Whenever I see his signs up, I am the first one there. Just so happens this last Saturday was his Spring Sale. Lo and behold he had a stack of old hand saws marked at $1 each! One of them was a rip saw, and I was delighted to see a Disston medallion on the handle. I haven't researched it yet, but I think the medallion and style places it in the 1940-1950 era. The blade is smooth brown rusty, with no pits. The teeth are in excellent shape and are still very sharp. I don't think this saw was ever used very much.
I also picked up a few other goodies in his stock: an old spoked wheel hand drill, a 1" firmer chisel, an old 1/4" hand auger, a nice frame saw that was missing the center wood stretcher, tension cord and stop ($1), and a long tapered punch from the Sears Craftsman punch set that I read makes a fine drawbore pin! I also found a really nice panel guage - all metal with a 15" beam and wheel cutter. The old guy told me it had been part of his pattern-making kit that he has had for over 50 years. He was delighted when I picked it up and commented about what a nice panel guage it was. "You're the first guy that's come here and knew what that thing was! Most people don't know what half the stuff I have is for!"

David Weaver
05-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Sounds like a winner. If it still has set and all of the teeth are in the same plane (check it with a straight edge), then you can clean the rust off and just lightly file the teeth and have a good-working rip saw.

If I had a surplus, I'd have offered you one that's sharp and clean, but I only have a surplus of 4 1/2 tooth saws and as they're set up, they're a struggle to use in 4/4 wood.

If you have uniform smooth rust, take the handle off, find a scrap of wood and head to your local pep boys or whatever and get some wet and dry sandpaper in 220 and 400 if you don't have it already. If the rust is lighter than we're thinking, a scrape with a razor blade might be plenty.

Jim Koepke
05-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Lo and behold he had a stack of old hand saws marked at $1 each!

Sounds like a neighbor to know. Especially if he is willing to share some of his knowledge.

I would have likely bought a few of them. Can always use another saw. Though these days I can be picky.

jtk

Andrew Pitonyak
05-20-2013, 11:20 AM
I considered buying one because it was convenient, but I was unable to find anyone that would strongly recommend Putsch saws (except maybe for their larger crosscut saws). One person said that he liked his, but that he had to sharpen it because it was poorly done. So, if I buy one, I expect that I will need to take it home and immediately sharpen it to make it usable. Not a bad thing perhaps (given the cost), but, if I expect to do this anyway....

Pax Saws are about $100 at Lee Valley
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=46886&cat=1,42884,63338&ap=1

I cannot comment on them, but they also received mixed reviews here. Two guys at Lumberjocks seemed to like them

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?98161-Looking-for-Good-hand-saws-Thomas-Pax

And since I have not yet figured out the whole saw sharpening things, I do not yet have a decent hand saw of this type... :(

If you are ready to take the sharpening plunge..... you might as well find a less expensive saw and start there. Sadly, I don't get out enough to garage sales to find those saws.

David Weaver
05-20-2013, 11:29 AM
This neighbor sounds like the kind of person you can bird dog. And it sounds like he won't mind if you do. He's doing all of the work, and if you get at the top of his list, you might be able to get good stuff before it ever gets to his yardsale.

Edward Mitton
05-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I've already got a good set of shop built, fancy handle & brass fittings sanding blocks that I use on a regular basis. This saw will not take much work at all. The tooth set is good and the plate is in good shape, no warps or bends. The handle is intact and just needs a little finishing work. Most likely I will use a dab of antique finish restoration fluid. I am going to check the on-line site dedicated to Disston and find out exactly which model I have. Will let you know how this all turns out.

David Weaver
05-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Presume it's got a dull nickel colored set of screws and medallion, as well as a beech handle varnish/shellac orangey handle?

lowell holmes
05-20-2013, 12:25 PM
In Houston, Circle Saw will retooth and sharpen a handsaw for $10.00.

I had that done on an old D8 panel saw. It is an eight tooth cross cut saw. I stoned the side of the teeth to remove the burrs left from machine sharpening and to balance the set. It is now my go to saw.

Look around your area for a similar service. After that is done, it is an easy task to keep the saw sharpened.

I have two rip saws from the popular auction site that I sharpened myself and they do a good job.

Edward Mitton
05-20-2013, 5:36 PM
I have grown to know this old guy pretty well over the past few years. We always stop and chat for a half hour or so while I'm looking through his wares. I'll never forget the first year I encountered one of his sales. He had over 100 vintage moulding planes in a shelf unit. Asked $10-15 apiece. If I had been in my Neander mode back then I definitely would have bought a few. Another year he offered up a vintage wall mount Stanley tool cabinet. No tools with it but he did have the original owner's book with it that listed all the tools that would fit in the cabinet's holders! I have already bought a number of vintage planes, chisels, hand screw clamps, and other cool things from him. I just cannot bear to come away empty-handed! One of the best things I bought from him was an entertainment center. On examination, this thing was constructed from pure hardwood (No IKEA garbage here), the doors were well constructed frame and panel. Drawers were nicely dovetailed. Gorgeous work. $25. Turns out, the piece belonged to his daughter, who was having a hurry-up/moving furniture sale. It was Amish-made! I called the LOML to have her come over and look before I purchased it, and literally sat on it to discourage other potential buyers while I waited. In talking with the owner/daughter, I learned that she had originally bought this thing for $700 new. I gave it to one of my daughters with strict orders to never sell it without seeing me first!

Steve Bates
05-20-2013, 5:51 PM
Thanks for the information, Edward. Since I'm down the road from you (I-25) I reckon I'll PM you for more details. I'd like to visit his next sales event as I'm starting down this slippery slope also.

Edward Mitton
05-21-2013, 3:52 PM
Found out about my new rip saw acquisition by looking on the Disstonianinstitute website.

It is a D8 sway-back ripsaw - 26 " with 5-1/2 tpi The "DISSTON USA" medallion places its manufacture in the early 1950s.

Edward Mitton
05-21-2013, 4:30 PM
I hope this reply doesn't show up twice. I tried awhile ago and it didn't take.

Anyway, I went to the Disstonianinstitute website and found out about my latest saw purchase;

It's a D8 sway back ripsaw, 26" 5 1/2 tpi. The DISSTON USA medallion places its manufacture in the early 1950s.

Edward Mitton
05-23-2013, 5:17 PM
Finally researched that saw I picked up last week at the yard sale: It's a Disston D8 sway-back rip saw. 26" plate, 5 1/2 tpi. The medallion style (DISSTON USA) places it in the early 50s.