PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum

Edward Mitton
05-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Hi, All,
I've been lurking on this forum for awhile and finally joined.

I will likely be hanging around the Neanderthal area as that is the direction my woodworking activities have been going ever since I recently acquired my grandfather's boxes of woodworking and mechanics tools.

A little about me: Resident of Castle Rock, Colorado; Married 34 years to a lovely South Korean lady; three girls, all grown, 2 grand-twerps. I work for Echostar as a supervisor of engineering technicians.

Besides woodworking, I have a lot of other interests: Play electric violin, guitar, and mandolin, play in church orchestra /praise rock band, perform some local gigs, open mics, etc. Even do a little busking ever so often; Philately (stamp collecting); Numismatics (coin collecting); Civil War enthusiast; Dabble in cartoon drawing; oh, and gardening/landscaping around my home. So, as you might expect, I keep myself pretty dern busy.
I look forward to chatting with you folks and learning from your collective knowledge/wisdom. Maybe I can even add some of my own miniscule knowledge to the forum!

Jim Koepke
05-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Edward,

Welcome to the Creek. Reading you are located in Castle Rock had me excited until I got to Colorado. Castle Rock, Washington is just up the road from me. You might want to include that in your profile. In a few weeks or so people will l likely forget.

There is a member on the forum from Castle Rock, WA.

What kind of woodworking projects are you interested in?

Folks always like to see pictures of tools, shops and projects.

I used to enjoy coin collecting, but it got to be pretty expensive to upgrade or find something different.

Also do a bit of gardening.

jtk

Archie England
05-16-2013, 8:53 PM
Welcome, indeed!

Bruce Page
05-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Welcome! Pull up a chair!

Andrew Pitonyak
05-17-2013, 3:37 PM
Welcome to the creek....

electric violin? I have heard of dropping in a pickup, but not an electric violin. I suppose I should not be surprised.

So, what are your woodworking interests?

Bobby O'Neal
05-18-2013, 8:46 PM
Welcome!!!

Edward Mitton
05-20-2013, 3:29 PM
I'll keep this one short since it's off topic....

Most electric violins on the market these days are solid body with a peizo pickup under the bridge. Many are 5 string, taking them down to viola range with the added C string.

Cool thing with electrics is one can run them through the standard guitar effects chain and come up with some amazing sounds. Check out the music of Jean-Luc Ponty (EV pioneer).

David Weaver
05-20-2013, 3:40 PM
Play electric violin, guitar, and mandolin,

A regular Mark O'Connor huh?

Edward Mitton
05-20-2013, 4:11 PM
I enjoy most of woodworking, and will build whatever is of interest. In the past I was big into pyrography, so I built a bunch of clocks with wood-burned wildlife pix. Basically your standard pine board with a mitered frame and a quartz movement poked through a hole, but adorned with a detailed picture. Sold lots of 'em.
My biggest project was completed this past January - A fire station bunkbed / playhouse for the grand kids. It was built from a set of plans my daughter gave me. I think the plans came from Pottery Barn or something similar. The construction in the plans called for a lot of pocket-hole joinery, but I used dowel joinery instead. With over 60 upper railing pieces, that was a lot of production-line cutting and drilling with a dowelling jig. The finish painting was the most time-consuming part of this project, as I chose to hand-paint simulated red-brick walls! I will post some pix if I can find them.
My last completed project was a planter for the backyard patio made entirely out of Trex cutoffs from a deck expansion I did last summer. Not exactly woodworking, but the tools and processes were the same.
I am currently working on a wooden stand for my full length lathe. It's my first all-Neander project, being built for a 'tailed' appliance (gasp!!).
My wife is big into turning and has already produced a number of very nice vases out of Aspen logs. My only involvement in this is keeping her turning tools sharp, chucking up the blanks, and doing the initial rough-cylinder gouging...essentially the grunt work. She gets to do all the cool artistic stuff ! I'm really pleased that she has taken an interest.
After the lathe stand, my next project will be a wall mount tool cabinet. I have the classic photo of the Studley cabinet as the screen-saver on my workplace computer. I cannot hope to even come close to anything like that, but it's very inspirational.
In February, I inherited my grandfather's tool kits. Not only was he a woodworker, but he had owned a car repair shop/filling station back in the day. During WWI he had been in the Army as an airplane mechanic working stateside. I can imagine all the vintage bi-wing war planes he must have worked on!
Anyway, he had quite a few old woodworking tools that I have been refurbishing and putting back into use. This has led me straight down the path of 'Neanderthal / Galootism'. I have been learning how to sharpen and hone edge tools, and working on hand tool techniques. I am abandoning tailed woodworking tools more and more in favor of the 'Armstrong' variety. I have also been eating up everything I can find by and about Schwartz, Sellers, Underhill, and others. I have pored through my huge collection of woodworking magazines seeking out all the hand-tool articles and tutorials I can find. Norm and the WoodSmith shop TV series that I loved so much are starting to fade into the haze.

I have even gone as far as designating a portion of my garage shop as a "No Electric Power or Cheap-Plastic-Handled Tools Allowed" zone. It's somehow very satisfying being surrounded by things constructed out of only steel, wood, and stone, and learning how to use them in a quiet, dust-free manner. Might start to worry if I take to wearing St. Roy-type suspenders! The LOML will likely also worry. Anyway, I will probably be hanging around this part of the SC forum for awhile with lots of qustions.

Edward Mitton
05-20-2013, 4:19 PM
Kinda....But I would have to have one of those amplifiers that has a knob where I can turn up the TALENT to reach his level!

Gary Muto
05-23-2013, 4:40 PM
Hi Ed,

I've been a member here for a while but I'm relatively new to CO. I just moved from MI to Colorado Springs in March . I see that there are at least of few of us here above 5000 feet. ;)

Edward Mitton
05-23-2013, 5:07 PM
Welcome to the Centennial state!.. Yep, I've lived here 57 years (most of that in Colorado Springs). Never had a desire to move anywhere else!

Edward Mitton
05-23-2013, 5:15 PM
Another bonus about Colorado..since it's in a semi-arid zone, we don't have the problem of high humidity invading our workshops and rusting our tools, so its' OK to have them out on racks and shelves.

Jim Matthews
05-23-2013, 6:45 PM
Kinda....But I would have to have one of those amplifiers that has a knob where I can turn up the TALENT to reach his level!

Just get the one that goes to eleven.
It works for Nigel (Tufnel, not Kennedy).

Edward Mitton
05-24-2013, 9:19 AM
...and I must remember to not stand too closely to those spontaneously-combusting percussionists!

Richard Gonzalez
05-24-2013, 2:56 PM
Welcome - I'm a little east of you in Elizabeth. I've got quite a few other woodworking friends in the area as well that I met through the local woodworking guild. Would be happy to get to meet you sometime! I've been collecting neanderthal tools for a while at local garage sales (there's and old pattern maker in Castle Rock that has a pretty good garage sale every spring) but haven't yet built any hand tool only projects.

Edward Mitton
05-24-2013, 3:28 PM
I know that old pattern-maker very well. I always stop and chat with him for a good while when I'm at one of his yard sales. He just did one last weekend. I picked up a Disston D-8 for a buck, a Goodell -Pratt eggbeater, and a few other assorted small antique tools. I 'm always one of the first ones there whenever I see those green signs goin' up on the street corners! Actually, I live only a few blocks from him, so his twice a year yard sales are always a much-looked-forward-to event. Even though he has a lot of nice tools at his sales, he told me he has taken to putting up some of his better stuff on e-Bay. The reason for this would surprise you. He says that most folks that visit his sales don't know a lot about the vintage tools, and he sometimes has difficulty moving them! A number of the guys that show up are mainly looking for things like socket sets, tool boxes, and the more main-stream common stuff. This is great for guys like you and me, who can walk in and find things like a box of old wood marking guages for a couple bucks each to look through, and our eyes light up. Incidently, I picked up just such a guage at his place a couple seasons back - a Stanley SW that looked barely used. He tells me he does a quick cleaning on most tools that he has out on his tables, but occasionally, he'll have a box that he recently acquired, hasn't had time to look through, and sets it out for 25 cents per tool. It was in such a box last week that I found a nice 4-way rasp that a little dip in the vinegar will turn into a very usable item.
I've been through Elizabeth quite a number of times. Nice little town. I have a friend that lives farther out at the next stop east of you.