PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly tools - Taiwan vs China

Maurice Arney
05-16-2013, 8:18 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a thread on it. My new shop floor is in and I will be erecting the walls soon. My first major purchase will be a new table saw to replace my old Hitachi C10FL. I'm looking at Grizzly (but not discounting other brands) because they put out decent products at a good price and so far their customer service has been outstanding. I've noticed that some of their table saws are made in China and some are made in Taiwan. Does anyone have a strong opinion either way about the country of origin? I mean are there any major differences, either real or perceived, in the quality of products from these two "countries?" Thanks!

glenn bradley
05-16-2013, 8:38 AM
I have machines from each with no real difference noticeable. Gizzly's control of quality is probably the real difference in their tools and others made in the same country or possibly even by the same supplier.

Doug Richardson
05-16-2013, 9:02 AM
I agree with Glenn. QC is pretty much the only reason one company succeeds and another doesn't in this global market. That and customer service..... :)

Phillip Gregory
05-16-2013, 9:26 AM
My Shop Fox W1820 (a Grizzly 0691 with a different paint job, made by the same company) is one of the Chinese ones. The fit, finish, and quality are good. I'd have preferred to have a unit made in the U.S. but that is nearly impossible today. The closest you can generally get to that is getting a unit with foreign parts assembled in the U.S. like Delta does with its current front-wheel left-tilt Unisaws.

Cary Falk
05-16-2013, 9:57 AM
I have a G0453 planer that is made in China. I was not quite up to the same fit and finish level as the other Grizzly Taiwan stuff I own. It wasn't horrible but noticable. The G0690 table saw is made in China but from what I hear it is very good fit and finsih wise. I have the G1023rl from Taiwan and it was fantastic.

Julie Moriarty
05-16-2013, 10:20 AM
With the reduction in prices on Hammer table saws, they are now competitive with a lot of China and Taiwan made saws. They have dropped their price for the K3 31x31 from $5,623.00 to $3,399.00. The 31x48 is about $300 more. I LOVE their sliding table! And they can be easily upgraded with accessories, if needed. From what I hear & read, you get excellent build quality and great customer service. I almost wish my table saw would quit on me so I could justify buying the Hammer. :rolleyes: If sending your hard earned money to China or Taiwan rankles your senses, Hammer is a good alternative.

Correction: it appears Hammer gets their parts from China. Another one bites the dust!

Igor Vasilenko
05-16-2013, 1:03 PM
As has been said above by others, there isn't much quality difference these days between both countries' products, but my only reason as to buying from Taiwan instead of China is due to the rough foreign policy China holds towards NATO, as well as some known human rights abuses of it's citizens.

Other than some political reasons, you're fine to buy machinery from either country.

Good luck with your purchase!

Maurice Arney
05-16-2013, 3:48 PM
Thanks everyone... I'll post another thread when I've made my decision and order a saw. Can't wait to move in to my new shop!