PDA

View Full Version : sled for cutting compound staves

allan kuntz
05-15-2013, 8:31 PM
I would like to try my hand at staved segmented turning. My problem is I do not own a compound miter saw. Does anyone have a link that would show how to build a sled to cut these on the table saw
Thanks
Al

Greg Just
05-15-2013, 9:43 PM
I make a lot of staved coffee mugs and I made this sled a couple of years ago. It's not pretty, but it works for me. The hardest part of the process is getting the blade at 22.5 degrees. I have a 30+ year old Craftsman saw that works well, but adjusting the angle it trial and error. I have a digital protractor which helps a great deal. The board or fence in the first picture is adjustable so I can vary the width of the wood. the miter gage is set at 2 degrees. Let me know if you have any questions.

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Alan, cutting staves, either simple or compound, on a table saw is really not too difficult with a properly set-up sled. Just a panel of MDF, with two runners and a moveable fence will work. Regarding Greg's sled, to create coffee mugs, he doesn't need compound miters, so his set-up is fine. To do "compound" miters, the fence must be adjustable. Of course, the two angles (blade and fence) are determined by the number of staves and by the slope angle (from horizontal to vertical side). The correct set of angles can be determined on a calculator with trig functions; however, it's much easier to simply look them up on a chart. I hope this is not breaking the site rules, and I hate to sound like a salesman, but my Volume Three dvd has a complete lesson on compound miters.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-16-2013, 12:21 PM
I will be a salesman. Pick up Malcolms book, Art of Segmented Woodturning. It has everything you need to know. The DVD may be better though......

allan kuntz
05-17-2013, 6:41 AM
You are a good salesman as i ordered the DVD
Al