PDA

View Full Version : Loose butt joint

Wade Holloway
05-15-2013, 5:42 PM
I am not really sure what I did wrong with this butt joint, somehow I must have starved the joint of glue. The end of the butt joint I have about 1.5 inch of the joint that if you hold it up to the light you can see the light through it and if you work it back and forth you can see it move. Most people probably will not see but I know it is there. The only thing I can think of is this part of the board has a little sap wood to it so maybe it absorbed more of the glue. I do believe it will come apart since I have 3/8" dowels every 6 inches, but I would like to see if I can fix the little crack in the joint. I thought about just trying to inject a little Super Glue into the joint and then do some fine sanding over the top of it. Anyone have any better ideas on how to fix it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark Bolton
05-15-2013, 5:47 PM
If your confident in the structural integrity of the joint you could just push, vacuum, or foil, some wood glue into the joint and sand it in. Often if you sand the freshly glue'd joint it will fill and take a little stain. If its a big gap it will show regardless.

pat warner
05-15-2013, 5:56 PM
Pull it home with a joint connector bolt and nut.