PDA

View Full Version : 200 dollars to register a 400 dollar trailer?

Stephen Cherry
05-15-2013, 5:29 PM
:confused:

I recently got a new, well used boat trailer for 400 dollars. Went to the MVA to get tags, and it was a total of 144 dollars for a 60 day inspection tag, and it will be another 51 dollars when I get a permanent tag.:mad: Does this sound extreme? It was 100 dollars just to get the title transferred!!!!

Jeff Monson
05-15-2013, 7:58 PM
Wow, that is outrageous, the last trailer I registered in ND was $28.00. I dont have to register my boat trailer here. I wonder how much the fine is for not registering it??

David G Baker
05-15-2013, 8:27 PM
Not sure what the cost is but in Michigan they now issue a one time cost for a life time tag.

Rich Riddle
05-15-2013, 9:59 PM
That is outrageous to say the least. Some states just need loads of money and can think of just about any mechanism to get it.

In Kentucky we don't even need to register any trailer that's a personal trailer, even a large car hauler. I have my large utility trailer registered because it goes with me all over and it's worth the $8 a year of so they charge just to have a "truck trailer" tag on the rear. One stop for even a brief period isn't wroth $8.

Jim Becker
05-19-2013, 4:06 PM
Every state is different in how trailers are handled. In PA, you pay sales tax (if a private sale to you) and for your tag which for a typical small trailer is inexpensive. (trailers are classified by GVR ratings) They also offer 5-year stickers; $60 the first time and $30 for renewal. Both my utility trailer and small horse trailer have the 5-year tags on them. I believe I paid a small title transfer fee, but I had AAA take care of things and it was super-minimal.

Jerome Stanek
05-19-2013, 6:09 PM
Here in Ohio the tags cost $25. for any trailer.