PDA

View Full Version : Help with engraving MILL-A-63576

Sam Wilkins
05-15-2013, 5:21 PM
This is my first post and I want to say I love this forum. I'm new to this business (not new to laser engraving) and this forum really helps. I have some parts that have a MILL-A-63576 coating that need to be engraved. I want to know if anybody has worked with this type of coating in the past. I know it is a type of anodized aluminum with a low friction coating, but I want to know if I need to make any special adjustments. I don't have any samples to test on so my first run needs to be spot on.

Mark Sipes
05-15-2013, 7:43 PM
It appears MIL-A-63576 is a corrosion resistance / dri film lubricant Teflon.... I don't think any special steps need to be taken except in insuring proper venting. But I have no first hand experience.

Gary Hair
05-15-2013, 8:10 PM
If Mark is correct about the teflon then you really do need to heed his advice to ventilate well - teflon emits nasty gasses when lasered. Teflon and PVC are the only two things my manufacturer specifically say not to laser!

Sam Wilkins
05-15-2013, 8:34 PM
That's what I figured, but I'm glad its only a short run.

Sam Wilkins
05-15-2013, 8:40 PM
Of course one of my first orders is on the forbidden list. I have a strong blower that works well unless i'm cutting for more than 2-3 hours straight, then it starts to smell slightly. Luckily these parts only takes a few minutes. Thanks for the advice.