PDA

View Full Version : Silver Chest Pics

Steve Wargo
05-17-2005, 8:35 AM
Here are a few shots of the piece I just delivered. This is the one in the images of Alan Turner and me. It is constructed of Mahogany and curly sycamore veneer. The feet are veneered with ebony, and the bead and stringing are ebonized maple. The legs are tapered on two sides (the inside) which creates a nice angled joint at the apron. The top chest lifts off with the handles and only rests on the stand. All molding and beads were hand cut with moulding planes, and the finish is planed, except for the veneer which is sanded. The piece is oiled (Tung oil) and the light portions are blond shelac and the mahogany received garnet shelac. The top is French Polished (the traditional way). Brusso quadrant hinges for the top and Eastlake period hardware as specified by the client. All in all, pretty pleased with this one.

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/SilChest1.jpg

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/SilChest3.jpg

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/SilChest5.jpg

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/SilChest4.jpg

Mark Singer
05-17-2005, 8:39 AM
Steve,

That is a beautiful piece! I love the proportions and subtle lines! It is really classic. Excellent workmanship also!

Dennis McDonaugh
05-17-2005, 9:14 AM
Beautiful Steve! I particularly like the bottomof the feet.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-17-2005, 9:16 AM
Steve, that really looks great! I really like the contrasting drawers.

John Miliunas
05-17-2005, 9:44 AM
"Pleased"??? Keeeeeripes, you should be!:) Very nicely done and I'm sure a piece which will stay with the recipient's family for any number of generations! Looks great!:) :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
05-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Excellant piece of work Steve!!! I love the contrast between the light and the dark woods. I find it really satisfying to look at pieces which have had most or all of the work done with hand tools. They have far more character and nicer textures than machine made pieces. Well done.

Steve Wargo
05-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Here is a better one of the curly sycamore and contrasting woods
http://madhunkyworkshop.com/SilChest2.jpg

Chris Daigh
05-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Sweet, I have got to build one of those.

Doug Shepard
05-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Very nice work and look. It's got nice clean lines and a simple look to it that really lets the wood speak for itself. Less is definitely more in this case.

John Hart
05-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Just got your email too Steve...Holy cow! What a gorgeous piece of furniture...It'll be around long after we're all gone.

Alan Turner
05-17-2005, 1:05 PM
Guys,

I had the privilege of examining this piece in person while it was being delivered, and it is an excellent piece of work. The carcase construction is of a type that I have never done. That is, the grain on the chest sides runs front to back, and thus the seasonal expansion will be the same for the carcase as the drawers. Pretty neat. I wonder if other pieces of this period are built with this same grain orientation. The drawer fronts are veneered over solid mahogany; and the beads are 1/8" which is a nice delicate proportion.

Bravo!

Marc Hills
05-17-2005, 1:53 PM
Wow, Steve.

That is just exquisite. You know, when you posted the picture of this chest and Alan's kneehole desk in your previous post, I inwardly thought "Those two pieces as as different as woodworking can be, yet they both really do stake out the far upper echelon of excellence."

Different style, different technique, yet it's all the same language, isn't it? Thanks so much for sharing.

PS: that beading detail around the drawer fronts really sets it apart.

Jim Becker
05-17-2005, 2:04 PM
Outstanding!!! I really like this piece a whole lot...everything about it, as a matter of fact.

Louis Bois
05-17-2005, 2:21 PM
Nicely executed piece Steve...I can see now why you mentioned on the chat forum that you're nuts about veneers...you certainly know how to use them to your best advantage. I may yet be persuaded to enter the dark realm of veneers:eek:...especially after seeing pieces like this!

Jon Olson
05-17-2005, 4:17 PM
Interesting piece...I have to say that the design is not my favorite but the execution of the piece is AWESOME. The color combos are perfect and very pleasing and the lines and joints are well down.

I'm sure the client will return for other pieces.

jon

Peter Mc Mahon
05-17-2005, 4:44 PM
New guy here. Beautiful job!

Steve Wargo
05-17-2005, 5:32 PM
Welcome Peter.

Jon,
Actually she just sent me an e-mail a few hours ago, and has another piece for me to do in the fall. Looks like another trip up east. Hope I can plan it when everything is turning nice colors.

Roy Wall
05-17-2005, 6:33 PM
Steve.
Congratulations on a terrific piece.... I like it!! Your work is excellent..

THe carcass construction.......... middle section is sliding dovetail (how'd you do that?) and.......is the top and bottom hidden tongue & groove???

AND...

what about the drawer glide/slides construction???? DOes it need to be integated with the carcass glue-up?

Terrific:eek: :)

Jim Becker
05-17-2005, 6:35 PM
Steve, could you show us a close detail shot of just under the top? There is something there that I can't make out clearly and I'd like to learn more. TYIA

Steve Wargo
05-17-2005, 8:30 PM
Roy,
The front stretchers are just dovetailed into the carcass. The carcass is actually long case miters with splines. The bottom rests in a groove which is only glued in the back about 2 inches and left to float in the front portion. This allows for wood movement. The top veneered panel rests in a rabbet fron the top and the 1/8" stringing is ofset one way on each side to make the difference in the rabbet less noticable. Therefore making the top and inside look to be nearly the same exact size panel. There are no drawer slides. Strictly wood on wood with a light coat of wax. The reveal is actually very small, maybe 1/32". The drawers are nicely piston fit and work perfectly, Thanks Alan, and I did touch up the bottom of the case at the hotel room.

Jim,
I have the images on CD at work, and forgot to bring it home, but will include a larger shot. You can PM any questions and I'll answer ASAP.

Thank you all for kind remarks.

lou sansone
05-17-2005, 9:05 PM
Guys,

I had the privilege of examining this piece in person while it was being delivered, and it is an excellent piece of work. The carcase construction is of a type that I have never done. That is, the grain on the chest sides runs front to back, and thus the seasonal expansion will be the same for the carcase as the drawers. Pretty neat. I wonder if other pieces of this period are built with this same grain orientation. The drawer fronts are veneered over solid mahogany; and the beads are 1/8" which is a nice delicate proportion.

Bravo!

Nice case steve even if I didn't see it.

To your point alan....., william and mary lowboys use this same type of grain orientation. The problem with them is the cock bead runs crossgrain to it in the front of most lowboys. That causes problems if one is not careful. I believe that steve solved this problem by putting the bead on the drawer rather than the case. For W/M lowboys that is not usually done though.

lou

Pam Niedermayer
05-17-2005, 9:23 PM
Truly lovely, Steve. Is the holding at the cabinet bottom part of the case or the base? If it's part of the base, is there a recessed area in which the case sits?

Pam

Bruce Page
05-17-2005, 9:37 PM
"All in all, pretty pleased with this one"

I would be in heaven!

Beautiful work!

Tom Stovell
05-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Steve,
That is a beautiful piece. From design to execution it is a winner.

Tom

Steve Wargo
05-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Pam,

The moulding is attached to part of the base and is rabbetted so there is ample glue surface. It actually works as a retainer so the chest can't be knocked off of the stand. The moulding was cut with my all time favorite moulder, and I probably use it to much, but I think it works here.

Lou,
The cockbead is applied to the drawer, and is glued crossgrain. The drawer front has a crossbanded backer applied in between the sycamore and solid mahogany, which in the past has worked well for me. I have on occassion, only nailed the vertical beads to allow for a small amount of movement, but figured that the size of these drawers would allow me to glue them.

Richard Danckaert
05-18-2005, 8:55 PM
Excellent Work!! Love the choice of woods.Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Steve Wargo
05-19-2005, 8:25 AM
Steve, could you show us a close detail shot of just under the top? There is something there that I can't make out clearly and I'd like to learn more. TYIA

Jim,
Need to get a shot of the top from the photographer, but it looks identical with the exception that the panel sits flush with the frame on the top. Hope this shows enough, I have a high resolution image as well, if you want it e-mailed.

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/images/SilChestLidOpen.jpg

Jim Becker
05-19-2005, 8:38 AM
Thanks, Steve...what interests me further is the molding detail right around the top of the aprons. It barely peeks out in the lower right of this latest shot. BTW, that nice detailing on the interior of the top is awesome and something that sets a truly quality piece of furniture apart. Every time the owner opens this case...it's as nice as the outside on the inside. Bravo!

Steve Wargo
05-19-2005, 8:47 AM
Jim,
Here's the best shot of the moulding I can pull out

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/images/Moulding.jpg

Thanks, Steve...what interests me further is the molding detail right around the top of the aprons. It barely peeks out in the lower right of this latest shot. BTW, that nice detailing on the interior of the top is awesome and something that sets a truly quality piece of furniture apart. Every time the owner opens this case...it's as nice as the outside on the inside. Bravo!

Jim Becker
05-19-2005, 8:57 AM
Is the one at the top under the "top" the same?

Steve Wargo
05-19-2005, 9:12 AM
If you're talking about the piece that sits on the lip of the chest no. That is only an 1/8" bead, that is cut the whole width of the side thickness. This hides the case miter and spline, and dresses up the top a little. The moulding on the stand is completely different, a nice bead into a cove. Only about 5/8" in total height. The rabbet on the back of the moulding is about 5/16" square.

John Motzi
05-19-2005, 6:47 PM
Steve,

This piece is extraordinary - really beautiful. I love curly sycamore - I have 2 boards in my shop just waiting for the right design.

Clay Craig
05-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Wow, I'm late seeing this, but I love it. The triangular splines (?) in the underside of the miters of the top frame are something new to me, and the inside of the lid is lovely.

You mentioned that the "legs are tapered on two sides (the inside) which creates a nice angled joint at the apron." So, the taper runs all the way to the tops of the legs, not just to the apron bottom? Sounds like quite a challenge - the aprons are m&t into the legs? Loose tenons or integral?

Finally, do you have a closer shot of, or source for those side handles? They are awfully nice (from what I can see).

Thanks,
Clay

Steve Wargo
05-22-2005, 3:14 PM
Clay,
The legs taper all the way to the top and the joinery is integral mortise and tenon. They are no harder to do than a joint that has 90 deg shoulders. Mark with a bevel gauge and saw on the line. The splines are not triangular, they are flat and the front of the case is actually the cut off of the angle sides. The handles are were totally specified by the client. They are from Van Dykes and they are listed under Eastlake Period hardware. Thanks all for the compliments.

Steve Wargo
05-31-2005, 8:26 AM
Just got the rest of the prints back from the photographer. Here are a couple more shots...

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/SilChestOpen.jpg

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/SilChestTopCorner.jpg

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/SIlChestDetach.jpg

Jim Stastny
05-31-2005, 2:55 PM
That is one EXCELLENT LOOKINING piece. My hat is off to you !!!!

Roy Wall
05-31-2005, 6:04 PM
Steve,

I may have missed this in the thread...
but what are the dimensions of the chest and the table. Also, it looks like the drawers are slightly taller from top to bottom.....is this a specific ratio? what are the dimenisons of the drawers?

Again - killer work!!:rolleyes:

Steve Wargo
05-31-2005, 11:01 PM
Roy,

The 2 drawers and the false drawer are all different sizes, getting smaller towards the top. I don't use a ratio, just graph paper and sketch them until I think they look good. The chest is 24" wide, and 14" deep. The overall height is around 45 inches. Thanks every for the kind words.

Clay Craig
06-01-2005, 9:52 AM
Steve,

New pics look great - I asked about the splines (??), and what I meant was the little triangles that can be seen at the front miters, on the underside of the chest's lid. You said "The splines are not triangular, they are flat and the front of the case is actually the cut off of the angle sides."

Maybe we're talking across each other - I am not sure what you're referring to, when you say 'the front of the case is actually the cut off of the angle sides.' So, first - what do you mean?

And second, were you referring to the same part I was - the 'triangles' visible on the underside of the lid? Either way, what's the construction of those pieces (splines or similar?)?

Finally, this is a more-or-less 'visible-details' piece, with no woods that are utterly beyond most people's experience. I won't presume to begin a 'poll' on your thread or your piece, but I do think it'd be interesting to begin a new thread, with these photos, and a single poll question -

"What Did Steve W. Charge For This Piece?"

(OTOH, maybe it's pointless as you'd rather not disclose the answer, which is absolutely your right.)

I'll throw in a first guess anyway - $1800. Just a guess ...

I could very well be way-low, I don't think it's likely I'm way-high ...

Just a thought - I think it'd be interesting.

Congrats again - I know the hardware was client-chosen, and the side handles may be a bit small in scale, but I think it is good-looking hardware nonetheless.

Clay

Steve Wargo
06-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Oh, those splines...:p. Actually Clay those are not splines. The little triangles that are attached to the underside of the lid are actually small triangle of wine colored felt to prevent the lid from getting scratched up. Nothing more than that. In your previous posting, I thought you were referring to the my case miters for the carcass. Thanks for the kind words.

Clay Craig
06-02-2005, 9:08 AM
D'oh!

I wondered why you'd have splines on the front edge but not the back, and why they'd be visible and triangular in any event ...

Felt pads ... naturally. Thanks.

Clay

Keith Hooks
06-03-2005, 1:58 PM
That's gorgeous! Those drawer fronts are oustanding. Nice work!

Steve Wargo
07-21-2005, 7:03 PM
I just got my letter from FWW. Should be put in an issue within the next 12 months.

Roy Wall
07-21-2005, 7:37 PM
I just got my letter from FWW. Should be put in an issue within the next 12 months.

I figured as much!!!:)

Congratulations Steve, well deserved!!

Don Baer
07-21-2005, 7:45 PM
Congrats Steve, well deserved.
I'll have to remember NOT to let LOML see that issue. She'll want me to make one for her.

;)

Jim Becker
07-21-2005, 8:11 PM
Congrats, Mr. Wargo!! Another "SMC-FWW Picture Club" member is born!!

Alan Turner
07-21-2005, 8:42 PM
Ahh. Another member of the quickly growing club of SMC first timers! Well deserved. Be sure to send your client a tear of it as it will make her feel proud she selected her maker so well.

Keith Christopher
07-22-2005, 2:37 PM
Well I'll say nice work also, but umm. pictures don't load for me. But based upon the comments and the commenters I have to believe these are awesome photos

Grats on getting into FWW !

Keith

Steve Wargo
12-27-2006, 5:53 PM
O.K. Here is the deal, This piece was sold a couple years ago to a customer of mine. However she has since moved, and it no longer fits the style of her new home. She hates to part with it, but can't justify holding on to it just for keep's sake. She asked if I knew anyone interested in it, and said I would post it for sale for her. I know we have a "for sale" section and will place a copy of this link in it as well. I'd like to keep this thread in this forum though so please, Mr. Moderator, if you must remove this for sale post please do so. I'm not going to post a price, but if you are interested or somebody you know is interested in the piece please drop me a note, and I can give you her contact information. She is in Rhode Island. Thanks. This is the piece that was in FWW about a year ago.