PDA

View Full Version : Outside the box work bench

Paul R Miller
05-15-2013, 1:38 PM
262302 262303 262304 262301262306262305

This is the new bench I built last summer. I have to say that I’ve never had one of these and quite frankly, never understood what their attraction was. Then one day it dawned on me that I had spent my career building big things (boats) with power tools and that these were for building smaller things with hand tools. Then it all made sense and I decided I would build one.

My thought process for this sort of thing is a little different than some. I don’t ask myself ” How are these things made?” and go looking at examples or scouting for plans. My process starts with “What does it have to do?” and then plans the most interesting way to accomplish those goals. That and I love reinventing the wheel.

To make a long story a little shorter, I ended up with a rather different bench, more than a little influenced by my shipwright's love of the common wedge..

This may be a bench for you if:
1) You want a solid bench that’s easy to build with simple tools
2) You want a heavy rigid bench but don’t want to break the bank buying hardwood and hardware.
3) You enjoy having something a little different.

This is not the bench for you if you see building your bench as an opportunity to learn / practice fine joinery and at the end of the journey have a beautiful hardwood masterpiece as the centerpiece of your shop. I have nothing but admiration for those who view it this way…. but this isn’t the bench for you.

In my mind a good bench of this type was to hold work in vertical and horizontal positions that would allow work to be done on both the faces and the edges. It had to be heavy and it had to be rigid. If possible it should look nice in the bargain. Above all it had to have a very powerful grip. If I failed in that , I would truly fail…. I don’t think I did.

The photos show:
1) Planing a surface with the board held in one of the “8 Degree Vertical” wedge wagon vises.
2) Planing an edge with the portable deadman and the “8 Degree Vertical” wedge leg vise.
3) Planing a surface held in the two wagon vises.
4) Using the leg vise offset upward against a dog.
5) The plywood “guts” of the half-tops.
6) The plywood “guts”of the legs.

By now you will have seen that this bench is really plywood and only the trim is hardwood. That wood incidentally is arbutus (madrone) and it is used for the front, back and end boards and vises as well as the cosmetic top. The legs have been shamelessly veneered to look like solid walnut.

I have done a fair bit of pretty-ing up here but the main structure of this bench can almost be said to be buildable with a skilsaw and a hammer.

The structural joints are all interlaid layers of plywood that, when all assembled, resemble and have the strength of perfectly fitted finger joints but in any one layer they are all just butt joined.

There's a Sketchup is posted here (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=eac92d1e533271b452d9fc61873164a1) and videos of the vises in action here (http://youtu.be/liHVemMxGJQ) and here (http://youtu.be/Bj218m8QXmk).

Thanks for looking in and please ask questions, comment or criticize.

Paul

(http://youtu.be/liHVemMxGJQ)

Zach Dillinger
05-15-2013, 1:49 PM
Those vises are outstanding.

Chris Griggs
05-15-2013, 2:03 PM
Those vises are outstanding.

You can say that again. Thanks for posting the videos and the sketchup. I need a new end vise. LOVE THIS!!!!!

Definitely one of the coolest benches I've seen to date.

Tony Shea
05-15-2013, 4:56 PM
I love it. Def is a different animal using ancient technology in the vises. No broken wooden screw threads and an insane amount of force generated by these wedges. It may take a bit more time than a typical vise but I'm sure would become second nature after using for a while. But I think the extra time is far out-weighed by the coolness factor.

Jim Koepke
05-15-2013, 10:34 PM
I think you did end up with a fine centerpiece for your shop.

I am toying with the idea of a central tray. May stick with a tray along the back.

jtk

Leigh Betsch
05-15-2013, 11:27 PM
I like the plywood lamination. I've been also toying with the idea for quite a while.

Lornie McCullough
05-15-2013, 11:54 PM
I like everything about your bench!! And I watched your video's about hide glue, so now I am off to search SMC for hide glue tutorials......

Lornie