PDA

View Full Version : Wood Coasters

George M. Perzel
05-17-2005, 6:34 AM
Hio All;
Does anyone have a source for good quality wood drink coasters-solid wood or wood with cork? Thanks
George

John Hart
05-17-2005, 7:30 AM
George,

There's got to be a gazillion places to find coasters but I think right here on SMC might be a pretty good resource as well. I need to make some for myself in the next few hours...days....uh...sometime in the near future. :D I'm going to make a matching stand and all that. It's something that's been on the to-do list for far too long.

Aaron Koehl
05-17-2005, 10:37 AM
George,

Have you considered corian coasters? Very nice and elegant, and laser engraves beautifully-

Ken Nelsen
05-17-2005, 2:11 PM
George,
I purchased about 200 maple coasters from www.studioworkshop.com about a year ago. They're about 3-3/4" diameter X 3/8" thick and comes with a lacquer finish. Cost was about $1.75 ea.

Mike Ramsey
05-17-2005, 3:47 PM
Hi George, if i knew that your were needing wood coasters i would have saved all the turnings i have been attempting lately.:o

George M. Perzel
05-17-2005, 7:21 PM
Thanks guys!
John- Yea, there's a lot out there but tough to find quality wood ones
Aaron- sure would consider corian-do you have a source?
Ken- thanks-exactly what I'm looking for; but in walnut or alder-will contact them.
Mike- good idea, send them on down!
george

Jerry Allen
05-17-2005, 8:51 PM
I really can't understand how someone with your talent, equipment and proximity to a mill can be looking for someone to make him coasters. There must be something you're not saying, like you need more than you care to make.

Here's some quick scans I did for you, just in case.
Of course, inlay would be nicer.
You can make them fretwork or engraved.
Cork is at the auto parts store.

George M. Perzel
05-18-2005, 8:06 AM
Hi Jerry;
Thanks for the kind words and the designs , but not quite what I'm looking for.
I need about 100 good quality wood coasters that can be engraved, similar to that shown below. Prefer walnut, cherry or alder with lacquer or poly finish.
Yeah, I can cut circles with the laser but then need to sand the edges and finish them-a lot of repetitive, boring work-the kind I'm not good at!
I would also consider corian or cultured marble, such as shown below, if I could find small tiles/pieces.
Anyone have a source for such? Thanks
George

Ken Dolph
05-18-2005, 9:12 AM
George,

Contact me if you'd like some details.

Ken

Aaron Koehl
05-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys!
Aaron- sure would consider corian-do you have a source?
george

George,

Northwind Associates (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22) is a sponsor of SawmillCreek (link goes to Manufacturer's Forum) and a supplier of corian products. Send me an email to discuss pricing.

_Aaron_