PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Epilog Scam ?

Kasey Maxwell
05-15-2013, 1:14 AM
this just raises a huge red flag......

www [DOT] ebay [DOT] com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230977934241

Gary Hair
05-15-2013, 1:44 AM
I think the scam is that the item is listed with the intention of the bidding to go to a ridiculous amount then the seller will contact everyone who made a realistic bid and offer them the machine for the $2,500 that they had for the "buy it now" price. They will say that the "winning" bid of $98,000 was a mistake and was retracted so the machine is still available. They will offer it to everyone and collect money from as many people as they can - there is no laser, never was, never will be. The price is so low that many greedy people will take advantage of it without ever thinking that if it's too good to be true, it usually is...

Dan Hintz
05-15-2013, 6:25 AM
That's one possibility, and I would agree if there was only one high bid... there are a bunch. In cases like those, I think its the thievery market "sorting itself out", so to speak. A few nice people realize it's a scam, so they start placing high bids knowing full well eBay won't hold them to it. The forum discussions around the practice are quite amusing (and surprisingly organized). The "seller" has to make a claim to eBay that "the last 20 bidders all fell through", which raises suspicion on their selling practices.

Cheryl Walsh
05-15-2013, 9:53 AM
That's one possibility, and I would agree if there was only one high bid... there are a bunch. In cases like those, I think its the thievery market "sorting itself out", so to speak. A few nice people realize it's a scam, so they start placing high bids knowing full well eBay won't hold them to it. The forum discussions around the practice are quite amusing (and surprisingly organized). The "seller" has to make a claim to eBay that "the last 20 bidders all fell through", which raises suspicion on their selling practices.

You can send a report to ebay thru their "scam" report email & they get it off pretty quick

Martin Boekers
05-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Contact the seller and tell them you will pick it up and pay for it then.....That usually gets them going.... ;)

Paul Phillips
05-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Wow, that is truly the most amazing deal I've ever seen, and not just for the Laser, did you see all the extras listed!? The extras alone are worth more than $2500.
The following items are included with the purchase of this laser at no additional charge:

EPILOG Lathe for engraving cylindrical objects (wine bottles, glasses, drum sticks, etc...)
Dedicated Laptop (Toshiba Satellite) for running print que, drivers, etc...
Graphic Design Software - Corel Draw, Photoshop CS
Comprehensive Library of High Resolution Graphic Art images formatted for etching/printing
All necessary shop tools (digital micrometers, calipers, etc...)
Over $1500 in anodized aluminum engraving blanks (dog tags, id tags, business cards, luggage tags, etc...) in various colors
APC Power Back-up PRO 1100
Fire Extinguisher (charged for use on electronics)
Delta Air Ventilation System and duct work for venting system exhaust outside

I can't afford not to get this! Lol ;)

greg lindsey
05-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Hell, if this is "real" all my machines are going up for auction today:rolleyes:

Jim Reinhard
05-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Could be that they meant to put $25000. relized to late to remove it ,Then had a friend bid it up so they would not have to sell it for 2500.

Jonathan Clement
05-15-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm not a laser engraver but as an eBayer I am interested in this thread. I googled the model of this laser and found what appears to be the same exact machine that is on eBay at this site and going for $4800. The photos are identical although I suppose they could be stock factory photos.

http://philadelphia.olx.com/epilog-helix-45w-laser-system-iid-504067144

Tim Bateson
05-15-2013, 1:25 PM
Interesting... this same laser - pictures & description including Paul's list above was sold on the 18th of March for $11,600. The item listed for this thread appears to have been removed as it's no longer listed in active or completed listings.

Jesse Anderson
05-15-2013, 4:34 PM
Damn, So those back stage Vip Passes for 3 people for the Justin Beiber Concert i just purchased for $75 dollars might be a hoax ?????

Gary Hair
05-15-2013, 8:11 PM
Damn, So those back stage Vip Passes for 3 people for the Justin Beiber Concert i just purchased for $75 dollars might be a hoax ?????

No, they are legit. I am the seller - please send cash to my address on record... I'll get them right out to you.

Dan Hintz
05-16-2013, 8:16 AM
No, they are legit. I am the seller - please send cash to my address on record... I'll get them right out to you.

I thought it was you paying the buyer to get them away from you? And $75 for Beiber tickets sounds like the buyer got the short end of that stick ;)

Rodne Gold
05-16-2013, 10:37 AM
He was just here in South Africa last week ..a whole vomitfest of Beleibers ... luckily my 16 yr old daughter has more taste ..she went to the Bon Jovi concert at the same venue the night before ...