PDA

View Full Version : LED Desk Name Plate

Mark Smith61
05-14-2013, 8:18 PM
262282I got the idea to make this on here. It's just sitting in an unfinished piece of walnut right now that I cut a dado in, but I'll fix that up and finish the base. The LED light strip is powered from a USB port on the computer and has six LED lights in it. This photo is taken with all the lights on and the blinds open and still the blue light really glows nice.

AL Ursich
05-14-2013, 8:21 PM
Very Nice....

Jeff Belany
05-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Where did you get the LED's powered by USB? Nice job!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Mark Smith61
05-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Jeff these are the ones I used: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Advance-Accent-Lighting-Blue/dp/B007TG5ECW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368630936&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+led+antec

Mark Smith61
05-16-2013, 3:33 PM
I'm going to try and do this without breaking the rules here, but if I do break the rules I'm sure somebody will tell me. :) I opened a wholesale account with the importer of these USB LED strips. Turns out they are just down the road from me. So I'm going to get an initial order of 100 of these in blue(50), red(25), and green(25). My intention is to custom make these signs for sale. But since the people on here already have lasers and don't need the completed signs I'll sell the light strips for a good price. (Better than Amazon's listed price) I also plan to make nice wood bases so if there is a market I can sell both the wood bases and LED's and you guys can make your own engraved acrylic. Send me a private message for more info.

Mike Null
05-16-2013, 4:09 PM
Mark

You're walking a thin line but since you have nothing to sell I think you're ok. But when you get something to sell in order to advertise it on this site you'll have to buy a banner ad. Listing in a thread or in the classified is not within the rules of the forum.

Mark Smith61
05-16-2013, 4:39 PM
Okay Mike I'll just leave it at this.

Vicki Rivrud
05-16-2013, 6:21 PM
Hi Mark,
Nice work, we do the same type except we use an acrylic grooved base.

Where did you find the usb connection other than Amazon?

Vicki

AL Ursich
05-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Send Mark a PM.

The Beauty of this is Computers are a easy power source or you could even use a stand alone USB Hub to power a few like a "OPEN" or "NEXT" Sign as well as desk Name Plates.

I am thinking Fire Dept Maltese Cross or EMS Cross.....

AL

AL Ursich
05-17-2013, 10:18 PM
I was a Wally Mart today and they had a big selection of LED units for 12 volt and USB's. CHEAP...

Mark Smith61
05-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Al I just looked through Walmart's website and the only USB powered lights I can find are computer reading lights. Did you find colored USB powered strips at Walmart?

AL Ursich
05-21-2013, 3:56 PM
My store had a big display of them in a few colors... Some could have been the Automotive Version and I just didn't see the difference in the plug... They were mixed...

Mark Smith61
05-21-2013, 5:27 PM
Mike, I got an inbox full of messages from people interested in these LED's. When I try to reply I get a message that says I can only reply to two per hour. I guess there is some type of limit? Anyway, I have the LED's in my shop. Can I post my own website URL here so people can just go to it and order them there?

Mark Smith61
05-21-2013, 9:34 PM
If anybody is interested in more info on these USB powered LED's send me an email at mark@markscustomwoodcrafts.com. I tried replying to some of the PM's, but this website restricts how many messages you can send in a given time period. So if you didn't get a reply to your PM, please email me.