PDA

View Full Version : Corel X6 quit importing .DWG files

Jeff Greer
05-14-2013, 5:19 PM
Out of the blue - blam - "unrecoverable error" error message. I have imported bunches of .dwg files and now nothing!!! Trying to actually contact corel for help is next to impossible...any ideas???

Gary Hair
05-14-2013, 6:46 PM
Post a file and see if anyone else has problems.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-14-2013, 6:53 PM
It could be a corrupt .dwg file. Do you receive the same error with any and all dwg files now? Have you updated X6 recently? (Was the last time you imported a dwg prior to a service pack update?)

Since installing X6 on a fresh, clean install of XP, I have had a lot of problems importing and exporting files and crash on a regular basis. While the computer is more then the bare minimum tech specs required, X6 is just too much for my old computer. I'm going to have to break down and buy a new computer one of these days so that I have much more memory and a much beefier processor to handle X6. (The old computer runs just fine with Corel X3...)

Jeff Greer
05-14-2013, 9:31 PM
It has been working just great, until today..it opened once when I first start the machine but then after the 1 no more...it never did it before. Corel told me the copy of x6 is a pirate copy even thou it is registered with them...I think they are killing from a far..

Mark Ross
05-15-2013, 8:54 AM
If the file came from AutoCAD, is it possible you have a new version of AutoCAD that Corel does not recognize yet? AutoCAD is famous for changing the file structure. I always try to make sure my DXF's and DWG's are AutoCAD 2000 file format to avoid compatibility issues.

Jeff Greer
05-15-2013, 9:40 AM
It wont open older files that I have opened in the past either...not good. I think it has been electronically neutered.

Mike Null
05-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Try the repair function on Draw (add and remove programs) and see if that solves the problem.

Jeff Greer
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the idea Mike N. - I tried it and no good. I really think it had to do with a windows update - I am using 7. No other idea why it wont work now. Oh well - time to spend the $479.00 for a new Corel x6

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-19-2013, 9:14 AM
This is correct. Corel has a strange liking for AutoCad 2000 and does not like DXF and DWG files saved in newer versions.
Ask the owner of tyhe file to save it as autoCad 2000.
Should work then.

Kevin L. Waldron
05-19-2013, 7:58 PM
Jeff,

In our business we use dwg/dxf files and basically nothing else and then process through Corel to our laser. We have had so many problems with version 6 that we have stopped using 6 and have continued to use version 5 with success.

We have the latest and greatest computers with high dollar graphics cards, loads of memory...... for doing our 3D cad/cam stuff. It's not your computer but Corel 6. Even dwg /dxf files from Corelcad want work about half the time and for the most part we don't use Corelcad........ but just for the sake of testing we have.......... Corel has been little help and a poor overall attitude trying to resolve issues (you file a problem ticket...... they answer.. you tell them what is going on..... we will get back to you or we will forward this to another level of problem solvers...... next level has no answers they offer no solutions and after a couple of days, weeks they drop you saying that the problem has been resoloved .... we've done this at least 6 times we've also been on the phone several times to tech support).... not sure why they have changed so much other than the craving for money....they use to be very good about solving problems and offering solutions...... been using Corel..... since the 80's I think ....

Version 5 works great. Send us your file and we can try translating it in other formats if you like, we have a number of cad packages although dwg is usually one of the smaller files compared say to a dxf.

Blessings,

Kevin