PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations on a general purpose finish

Andy Pratt
05-14-2013, 2:10 PM
I am looking to move toward having one "go-to" top-coat/line of top-coats that I use for most of my work and wanted to get advice on what options are out there that meet my criteria. I have tried a variety of commonly available clear finishes and I'm ready to move up to something I have to special order if it gets me what I'm looking for, so don't worry too much on price/availability with your recommendations. My typical work includes bathroom/kitchen cabinets and hardwood furniture. I will use a different finish for table-tops so don't worry about it being used for that.

Must-have criteria:
- Can be brushed or wiped on (I do not have a spray setup and won't have room for one for some time).
- Can't be on the really bad side of the spectrum in terms of smell/harmfulness to breathe. Even when I ventilate as much as possible my finishing area allows some fumes to go into our living space, so I don't want anything too severe (i.e. poly fumes with open windows have never been a problem, but brushing lacquer fumes were way too strong).

Would-like criteria:
- Can complete a finishing schedule in 1-2 days
- Available in high gloss and at least one lesser gloss option
- Decent shelf life once opened

Random criteria:
- Looking for something other than polyurethane.

Thanks,
Andy

Everett Fulkerson
05-14-2013, 8:41 PM
The class of finishes you are looking at getting into are not going to perform very well without being sprayed. With that said, I switched to Kemaqua Lacquer, from Sherwin Williams, 3 years ago and have used it every since. Waterbased, dries to recoat in under and hour and can be bought in gloss, 60 40 and 20 sheen. It can also be tinted to any color they sell. Its about $55 a gallon.

You don't need as much space as you think to set up a spray rig, especially an HVLP system.

Be Good
Rhett

David Hawxhurst
05-14-2013, 9:49 PM
you should looking to spraying. spraying offers a much larger selection of finishes that are fast drying. i am currently using a two part finish from delta labs, can usually re-coat in less than an hour and complete three or fours coats in a day easily. i do most of my spraying outside.

Andy Pratt
05-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Rhett, thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into that. I'm used to using oil/alcohol based finishes so switching to water is something I'll have to think over carefully.

I really wish I could spray, but it is just not feasible right now. We have plans to expand the building to make a spray room but it is at least a few years off. Cold, long winters here prevent me from spraying outside at least 6 months of the year (and in the summer you've got insects, leaves and dust blowing around to worry about) so I really just need to leave spraying out of the equation for now. Even if I could do it in the summer by setting up an enclosure I'm still stuck using some other method in the winter.

My desire for a fast drying finish is a want, not a requirement, so if I should be looking at more slowly drying finishes (waterlox?) please let me know.

Thanks,
Andy

Alan Lightstone
05-15-2013, 2:48 PM
The problem with Waterlox (and all varnishes in particular) is that they aren't quick. Beautiful, but slow. I think of finishing schedules taking weeks, not 1-2 days. I know people will chime in here saying that they can do it far more quickly (and I have no doubt that the more talented ones here can and do), but in my hands, I can spray and be done with lacquer or WB finishes in 1-2 days AT MOST, but count on weeks for Waterlox.

Andy Pratt
05-15-2013, 5:10 PM
Thanks Alan, I was reading up more on waterlox and it sounds like it had quite a strong smell to it as well, so that may be out given my situation.

I've heard a few people say that the target coatings em2000 finish is their "go-to" for most projects, on the target website they mention that you can brush/wipe their finishes on (possibly after adding one of their additives). Anyone have experience using a target coating with a brush?

Alan Lightstone
05-15-2013, 5:52 PM
I tried EM2000 side-by-side with Waterlox on some Sapele, and liked the Waterlox far, far better. That being said, I'm kinda anti-Target Coatings finishes right now, as spraying EM6000 gave me fits. I'm having much greater success spraying General Finishes Water-Borne finishes, and clearly easier with lacquer.

Personally, I don't mind the Waterlox smell. Far better than Pre-Cat Lacquer, for sure.

I'm certainly not an expert, but an amateur gaining experience in a hurry, so YMMV.

Prashun Patel
05-16-2013, 9:11 AM
Try shellac. It is great on so many levels. It is also more durable than the internet would have u believe. But that is for you to test.

Andy Pratt
05-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. After doing more research and looking at all of my options I feel like there isn't anything out there that really fits the bill for what I need in a brushing/wiping finish. I feel a bit sheepish to say so now after saying I couldn't do it twice but I'm reluctantly going to try to work something out where I can try spray finishing.

I looked at some of difficult situations others have overcome with arranging a spray area and I realize that I'm better off than I had thought now that I see some of the tricks they are using. I wouldn't have looked into this if you guys early in the threat hadn't pushed me toward it, so I owe you a thank you for doing that.

I ordered an HVLP spray gun and some WB finishes and I'm in the process of setting up a spray area. I'll be posting another thread on this so I'll leave the rest for that.

Thanks,
Andy

John TenEyck
05-21-2013, 2:08 PM
I spray shellac and WB finishes in a temporary spray booth in my basement shop year round. I hang 6 mil plastic from the floor joists and put old sheets on the floor. I exhaust the overspray out a window using the fan from my 1200 cfm dust collector. I've been doing this for about 3 years now and love being able to spray year round with no temperature, humidity, or dust issues. With a little thought, I'll bet you can set up a similar arrangement. Your desire to have a fast finishing schedule leaves out wipe or brush on products except shellac or padding lacquer, but there are several very nice WB spray products these days that should meet your needs.

John

Alan Lightstone
05-22-2013, 8:50 AM
I have built both a temporary spray booth with 6mil plastic sheeting, and now one that breaks down, becomes an assembly table, and has a large, explosion proof fan. So, as you realize there are benefits to spraying, you can get more and more elaborate. And mine is in a very crowded 2 car garage converted into a workshop.

Basically, it is doable, but takes effort and forethought.

I still use a variety of finishes (shellac, General Finishes Water-borne finishes, Waterlox, P&L 38, Spray pre-cat lacquer). It depends on the piece I'm working on. Each has its place, and you will get better with some than others.