PDA

View Full Version : Value for '96 Stickley Library Desk

Brett Bobo
05-14-2013, 11:25 AM
What would you value a Stickley library desk at that is approximately 17 years old, in good condition, and made out of cherry? The specific model is the 91-1283-L, which has the keyboard drawer on the left side. I believe the original price was right around $1,200. In addition, I have a matching two-drawer file cabinet and I'd be curious about the value of it as well. I've only found antique dealers pricing these types of items, which are pricey, so I'm looking for a fair market value on both items.

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Mac McQuinn
05-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Brett,
I'm assuming you're referring to the newer Craftsman style Stickley pieces made in New York. I've seen Craftsman pieces recently, approximately the age as what you're describing although in Quarter-sawn Oak, selling for roughly 50-60% of their original price. Original paperwork, rarity & condition would affect this also. I own several of the newer pieces(15 years old) and would be satisfied to get this figure at this point. If you're hoping to sell and get a fair price, perhaps place them on a forum where people are familiar with the manufacture, style, materials and quality.
Mac

Richard Coers
05-14-2013, 3:03 PM
I'd say less than half. Maybe 40%.

John TenEyck
05-14-2013, 3:44 PM
Best bet is to get them appraised by a reputable person who handles Stickley.

John

Rich Riddle
05-14-2013, 4:04 PM
My thought is that it's like tools, the purchase price has nothing to do with it as much as the current selling price. There are many people who purchase a high-quality band saw, use it for a decade, and sell it for the original price or more. I purchased a Stickley library table last year and paid $2829 during the Stickley sale. The regular price for the Westcott Street Library Table in oak is $4881. It is model number 89-409-054 to give you a reference. Here is a picture Stickley posts:

Of course, it would depend upon condition of the piece. I tend to think used furniture is worth between 1/3 and 2/3 of the current price for high-quality furniture. Much depends on your location and demand.