PDA

View Full Version : Ugly log turns into a Blue Ribbon winner

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-16-2005, 9:34 PM
Several weeks ago, someone posted a picture of a bowl with a comment something like... It would look better if it wasn't spalted......

Well, several months ago, I was given this REAL NASTY log. It's was about a foot long and only seven inches in diameter. Looking at the end, all I could see was insect tracks and a little spalting. UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first picture is the other half of that log. Haven't done anything with it yet.

It is finished with French polish.

I found that there is a nail in the log...........didn't hurt my tools. Must have been really soft steel.

Thanks for lookin'

Bruce

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Now that is pretty wood. The bowl and finish aren't too shabby, either. Thes question is, What happened to the rest of the log? (-:

John Hart
05-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Wow...That turned out really nice Bruce! It makes me reconsider burning my old destroyed Cherry tree. So what kind of tree was that anyway?

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-16-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm goin' back to that woodpile to see if there is any more. I believe that it is Ash.. Very Spalted and Wormy....Several lost their heads over it..... as I was turning it.

HeHe,

Bruce

John Hart
05-16-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm goin' back to that woodpile to see if there is any more. I believe that it is Ash.. Very Spalted and Wormy....Several lost their heads over it..... as I was turning it.

HeHe,

Bruce

heh heh....That must be quite the sight to stick your head out of the hole and see this big guillotine coming at you!!:eek:

Jeff Sudmeier
05-17-2005, 8:09 AM
I am sure they didn't feel a thing!

Bruce, that bowl looks great! The spalting and worm holes are wonderful.

Jim Becker
05-17-2005, 8:54 AM
Turners all know that there is no such thing as an "ugly log"...just a log in bad clothing. Remove the clothes...and...you forget your first impressions... ;)

Ted Shrader
05-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Bruce -

Ugly? What ugly? That bowl is gorgeous. Beautiful wood, form and finish.

Well done,
Ted

Fred LeBail
05-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Very nice bowl Bruce, like the story of the ugly duckling. I love turning Spalted wood because you never knew what the next cut will reveal .

Mark Singer
05-17-2005, 11:40 AM
BeautifuLLLLL !!!!!! I love it!!

Ernie Nyvall
05-17-2005, 6:27 PM
Well that's the prettiest ugly log I've ever seen. Good job Bruce.

Ernie

Ed Scolforo
05-17-2005, 6:43 PM
Bruce: Beautiful piece of wood and a nice job tirning it!

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-17-2005, 8:16 PM
The "UGLY" was tongue in cheek, Jim. I agree......................there is NO UGLY LOG!

John, they only had a "BLink of an eye"; I turned it starting at 500rpm and ended at 1250.

It's a wonderful feeling, when something turns out like this did. Nature puts the beauty there. I was lucky enough to reveal it.

Thanks for your kind words, folks.

Bruce

John Hart
05-18-2005, 9:13 PM
Hey Bruce...I went out back and got a piece of wormy Pear and put it on the lathe thanks to you!! The thing is turning out pretty nice.....but geeeeezzz!! talk about worm guts!

Every now and then I'd get splattered...then I had to dig their little corpses out. In the end, it'll be worth it.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-18-2005, 10:49 PM
I saw your Pear bowl. It is beautiful.

Bruce