PDA

View Full Version : Medal of Honor Project Gloat

Jack Norfleet
05-16-2005, 9:29 PM
On a couple of my earlier posts, I mentioned that I was tasked to build a Medal of Honor display for a fallen soldier that died in Iraq. Attached are a couple of pictures from the ceremony. The display was a simple dovetailed box (Leigh D4) made out of white oak. The glass is laminated per Army regulations for shatterproof glass. The woodworking was rather simple but the honor was great. The other picture show my daughter Jessica, the Governor of Florida and myself.

Martin Shupe
05-16-2005, 9:39 PM
Jack, I am sure you were honored to build such a case, and your skills did it justice. Thanks for paying tribute to this fallen hero in your own way.

Don Abele
05-16-2005, 9:55 PM
Jack, thank you for taking the time and effort to put forth such a fine display case for this prestigous medal. But more importantly, to further honor SGT Smith in allowing his medal to be displayed proudly and with dignity. It must have been a real honor for you to have been selected for such a noteworthy task. Again, congratulations and thank you.

Be well,

Doc

Roy Wall
05-17-2005, 1:10 AM
Jack,

This is a very touching project. A great tribute to this soldier, and a constant reminder of the price of freedom.

Thanks for sharing....

Keith Christopher
05-17-2005, 2:31 AM
What's the back story of this medal winner? Beauty case and such an honor for you ! Having been a soldier for many years always bothered me that only walls wear that ribbon not soldiers. Often makes me wonder what we lose to society when a person of that caliber passes. Yes the price is very high indeed.

Dale Rodabaugh
05-17-2005, 5:14 AM
You did a beautiful job,and you should feel honored,to have been chosen for the task.You and your daughter look very good standing there with the Gov.Keep up the good work.

Don Abele
05-17-2005, 6:42 AM
Keith, here's the White House official press release:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/04/20050404-5.html

Be well,

Doc

John Hart
05-17-2005, 7:00 AM
Jack,
It's nice to know that a fellow Creeker had the opportunity to participate in honoring a great hero of our country, and that you did so with good taste and fine artisanship. I just makes me swell with pride to read of such selfless behavior and gives me hope that our future is not bleak, but fueled by the awesome dedication of our young heroes.

Thanks for the link Don.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-17-2005, 8:17 AM
Jack,

You did a wonderful job on this display case. In a situation like this, you want the medal to do the talking, not the case. I think your design fits the bill perfectly.

Congrats on the honor of making this case!

lou sansone
05-17-2005, 8:40 AM
nice job

I have had to build somewhat similar cases for folks who have died. It does give one a stange sence of wonder and makes one pause in reflection to the uniquness of man ( and women ) within the cosmos. Some might maintain the humans are simply an assembly of matter and energy, similar to a frog or a blade of grass or pond alge. But when confronted with the work at hand ( making a case to display for all of time the memory of that individual ), it seems absurd to think that what you are memorilizing is nothing more than a blade of grass or some alge.

lou

John Renzetti
05-17-2005, 9:37 AM
Jack, Great job on the display case. It does a lot to honor the memory and the valor of Sgt Smith. I'm sure his family appreciates the work, care, and craftsmanship that went into its creation.
All the best,
take care,
John

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2005, 9:45 AM
Jack .....excellent work for an extraordinary person!

Jack Norfleet
05-17-2005, 9:48 AM
We had dedicated our organization to SFC Paul Ray Smith shortly after his death because we wanted to honor a fallen soldier from Florida. It just happened that he was nominated for the MOH. My first woodworking project was creating shadow boxes for his memorabilia to be displayed in our main conference room. Looking at them now, I am kind of ashamed at their quality and wish that I could remake them. That project did, however, get me hooked on woodworking and started me down the slippery slope.

The front of our building has a memorial area dedicated to SFC Smith with his portrait and various thoughts penned by his family. The display in our conference room was filled by his family and gives a touching insight into his life. It is filled with family pictures, gifts from his kids, medals from his career and condolence letters from dignitaries all over the nation.

My daughter has a special connection with the story as she won the oration contest in her class speaking about SFC Smith and his actions. She and SFC Smith's son got along very well during and after the ceremony. They had the run of our building and it was touching to see them just acting like kids. SFC Smith's son is 11 years old and just wants to be a kid.

If anyone is interested in the story behind SFC Smith, the offical army site is here: http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/.

Jack

Jason Tuinstra
05-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Jack, thank you very much!

Ted Shrader
05-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Jack -

Exceptionally well done. The simplicity is very elegant. I can only imagine the great pride you must feel in honoring one of our nation's heroes.

BZ,
Ted

Jim Becker
05-17-2005, 10:41 AM
That project is beautiful, Jack, and most appropriate for the task. It has great understated elegance that really makes the award stand out for how special it is. Congratulations on getting the call to make it!

SMC Avitar for you is attached below...

mike malone
05-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks Jack. Very Classy.
mike

Dan Gill
05-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Jack, that is a beautiful job, and I'm sure it was an honor to make it.

Keith, not all Medals of Honor are awarded pothumously, but most are. We do have some living recipients. But I agree, we lose a superior individual when we lose a recipient.

I can recommend a book called "And Brave Men, Too", about recipients from the Vietnam war. Chilling, awe-inspiring accounts of incredible bravery and sacrifice. I believe there is also a sequel that may be titled "More Brave Men", but my memory may be faulty - it has been many years.