PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Question

Craig Matheny
05-13-2013, 4:27 PM
I have 2 epilog lasers and I would like to figure a way to put run timers on them so I can see how much time my employees are truly cutting hence accountability for them. So I would like to figure away to time the total run time for the machine when it is working just not turned on. I was thinking to pick up power off the tube feed or something of the like.

Doug Griffith
05-13-2013, 6:00 PM
Tube feed sounds like a good idea since it kicks on when the jobs starts. Just pick up off of the selenoid.

Craig Matheny
05-13-2013, 6:15 PM
Tube feed sounds like a good idea since it kicks on when the jobs starts. Just pick up off of the selenoid.
I figured the tube has I think an RF feed using rj45 connector and then it has a 110 feed to it I thought a jumper in there and be finished does that sound about right?

Doug Griffith
05-13-2013, 6:32 PM
I'm not sure of the voltage but that's not too difficult to figure out. You could probably just use a non-invasive current sensor to trigger a digital timer.

Scott Shepherd
05-13-2013, 6:40 PM
I don't know about any of that stuff (because I'm electronically ignorant), but an arduino with a photocell right in front of the LED on the board or tube somewhere that tells you the laser is running would work, I would think. Record all instances when the value is above a certain level.

Just thinking out loud. Then you could even record it and have it write it to a file, send it to the internet, save it on a drive, or display it on a LCD. I'd think you could have that working in about 30 minutes.

Craig Matheny
05-13-2013, 6:47 PM
I'm not sure of the voltage but that's not too difficult to figure out. You could probably just use a non-invasive current sensor to trigger a digital timer.

I was thinking more of a wye connector and pulling the 110-120 there and then to the meter and the other to ground See any issues there?

Doug Griffith
05-13-2013, 7:39 PM
That should work. It's just a solenoid after all. Read the voltage off it when you're in there.

On the subject of Epilog air solenoids, mine got clogged and my air assist fizzled out. It was from carbon. Probably because I used to have one of the cheap Chinese cloned Paasche compressors without a filter. Just a heads up for anyone reading this.

Chuck Vezzetti
05-13-2013, 7:41 PM
A power monitor will work, There is an example of one at Mcmaster,http://www.mcmaster.com/#current-recorders/=mqkgk0.
The one with a data logger. It will give you all of the power usage profile for the device that is connected to it. I haven't used this one but with proper setup you can record up to a week worth of data at one time

Doug Griffith
05-13-2013, 8:04 PM
I was thinking about doing something similar but lighting up a light to a relay to let me know when the job stops. Sometimes I'm making way too much noise to hear the little chuff as the solenoid switches.

Joe Pelonio
05-13-2013, 8:14 PM
Seems a lot easier to buy a $50 video camera and aim it on the machines, you can see it from your smartphone.

Dan Hintz
05-14-2013, 6:11 AM
Seems a lot easier to buy a $50 video camera and aim it on the machines, you can see it from your smartphone.

Seems even easier to just have employees you can trust... ;)

Mike Null
05-14-2013, 8:05 AM
My first thought as well.

Steve Busey
05-14-2013, 8:21 AM

And just "run time" could be a false metric if the users catch on - they can just use the slowest possible speed they can get away with, to show more machine time.

Or would you rather have an employee that quickly switches out the next object to burn, or one who takes an extra 30 seconds to ensure it's properly placed and aligned. The first guy might have more "run time" in a day, but more "do overs", while the second guy may have less run time, but higher quality yield. It's a balance, for sure...

Martin Boekers
05-14-2013, 9:53 AM
When the file is finished on the front control panel it tells how long it took.

You could make a sheet that they have to fill out with the time as it says on the control panel.M
ight not be a bad Idea as you could spreadsheet it to get actual laser time per job, for future reference.

Have you brought this up with Epilog? Seems like a good idea for future improvements.....

Mike Null
05-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Why not just measure their productivity? Surely you can tell by how many pieces they are producing.

Chuck Stone
05-14-2013, 5:06 PM

they can fool you. I had a manager who I would have (and did!) trust with
enough responsibility that she eventually got a 10% share in the store.
But she ended up going to jail after having let herself in the store at 3AM,
borrowing from the register bank and punching in a refund so the register
would come out right. I spotted it on the Z tape because I happened to
count the drawer at 10AM and it wasn't even up to starting bank.

AL Ursich
05-14-2013, 8:09 PM
Here is a slightly different way similar to a Current Monitor. A iSocket that you plug the machine into. The theory as with my CarveWright Machine, the Servo Stuff won't trigger it. But when the Cut Motor kicks in, it turns on another outlet attached to it. That would run a Dust Collector Relay. Once the Cut Motor shuts off, the 5 or 10 second delay then the dust collector shuts off. So IF the Laser would draw enough power to trigger the iSocket it could run a Hours meter....

Next up.... A Magnetic Switch like the Door Alarm Switches from Radio Shack and mount it in the machine and a small magnet to the Arm at home position. The theory again, is when the arm is away from Home Position it would run a hours meter....

BOTH could be Cheated.... But that is the Electronic Guy in me.... Omrom even makes a Fiber Optic Switch, a 24 volt switch with a high or low 5 volt output. It has a 24 inch 1/8 inch black cable that is the Fiber and when the beam see's the other end the circuit is active high or low. Block the fiber and it changes states... Used them at Sony Factory Automation in San Diego years ago.

AL

Omron Fiber and Proximity Sensors. http://www.directindustry.com/prod/omron/fiber-optic-photoelectric-sensors-15954-541881.html

Dan Hintz
05-15-2013, 6:14 AM
If you HAVE to do it, I would suggest a non-permanent solution... I believe it was mentioned before, but a photocell staring at the "laser on" LED would be the easiest way.

Bill Cunningham
05-16-2013, 9:26 PM
My TT has a 110v switched outlet for a blower or compressor that comes on as soon as the laser starts working. I thought all Epilogs had this! But I guess not..

Mark Ross
05-17-2013, 10:46 AM
On Epilog 36 EXT's there is a connector that we tap off of and it feeds an LED light to let the operator know when the machine is done cutting. A visual indicator for them to know its time to load more material. I think it is a 5 or 12 vdc signal. If you have 36 ext's let me know and I will upload a picture. We have been doing this since day 1 and one machine has years of use on it so we know it doesn't harm the machine.

Chuck Jarrett
05-18-2013, 8:00 PM
Craig,

I was hesitant to add my 2 cents in to your question, as I do not know how to add the equipment you are asking for. However having said that, I do know how frustrating it can be with employees sometimes. They can take us to our wits end. I do think both Dan and Mike make some good points, and to add to that, maybe you have good employees and they just need a coach to player talk with encouragement and expectations laid out before them. Maybe they are not such good employees and the best for both is they find another place to work. If I was the good employee that needed a pep talk (as we all do now and again), and I found out that I was being "monitored", I would be looking for another place to work. If on the other hand a not so good employee may initially work harder to ensure his "time" is justified, but somewhere down the road they will wreak more havoc than you can imagine. I am not saying this as a know it all, as I have made more mistakes both as a manager, and as an employer than I am proud to admit. I am still learning.

Is your truck a 56 wide window? Looks great.