PDA

View Full Version : grizzly will not ship to Taiwan

Tai Fu
05-13-2013, 4:04 PM
I tried to buy some stuff from Grizzly (bandsaw parts, etc.) and they sent me an email telling me that they cannot process any order with a final destination to Taiwan.

Is there some dirty deals going on between them and the supplier? The stuff's made here but we're not allowed to have them like I'm buying firearms or something?

Mike Hollingsworth
05-13-2013, 4:17 PM
experts at reverse engineering

Tai Fu
05-13-2013, 4:23 PM
Ok, it's not like I'm buying propriety technology or something... ANYONE can make a bandsaw or its parts, and some of those machines do find its way into consumers in Taiwan, and they're made here... it's just asinine. The only reason woodworking machines are harder to find is lack of demand... Taiwan is worse than Las Vegas when it comes to lack of hardwood... nothing of value really grows here and logging is illegal. I can buy much more complex and hi-tech CNC machines and mills/lathes/shapers/broaching machines/etc. just looking online.

Myk Rian
05-13-2013, 5:18 PM
You could always have someone here buy it, then ship it to you.
Would take a while, but it's one possibility.

Jim Becker
05-13-2013, 5:20 PM
There is more to shipping products to other countries than just...shipping the product. Companies make business choices and define their markets based on many requirements and considerations, including their ability to support a customer after the sale. It's within their rights to choose where they want to do business.

Jeff Duncan
05-13-2013, 6:18 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if you can find the factory they're built at, (think most of their stuff is made there?), and buy it locally....maybe for pennies on the dollar???

Otherwise maybe make some friends here and have them buy and ship it to you;)

good luck,
JeffD

Mike Cutler
05-13-2013, 6:47 PM
I tried to buy some stuff from Grizzly (bandsaw parts, etc.) and they sent me an email telling me that they cannot process any order with a final destination to Taiwan.

Is there some dirty deals going on between them and the supplier? The stuff's made here but we're not allowed to have them like I'm buying firearms or something?

I doubt it's a dirty deal. It is probably part of their, or our, ( meaning the US Government ) trade agreements between Taiwan and the US to provide local market protection. They may simply not be licensed by the Taiwanese government to engage in retail sales activities within your country.

Peter Kelly
05-13-2013, 9:11 PM
http://www.geetech.com.tw/geetechE/contact_us.html

I'd give them a call and see if they can point you to someone in Taiwan that you can deal directly with.

Mikail Khan
05-15-2013, 3:14 PM
They may not want to take responsibility for shipping to Taiwan.

I order my stuff from Grizzly who ship the stuff to my freight forwarder in Miami. They consolidate and ship the items to me.

MK

Tai Fu
05-15-2013, 3:22 PM
Wish they'd be a little more straightforward about it. I mean they say they ship international (but there's a 200 dollar minimum) but doesn't say which countries are excluded.

I got a friend to order the stuff for me...

By the way for freight forwarders, is there any way to ship heavy stuff out of the US cheaply? I mean with surface type mail or whatever.

Stephen Cherry
05-15-2013, 5:21 PM
Lots of the Griz production has gone to mainland china, which has a per capita income of 9k, moving away from Taiwan with a per capita income of 38k. For this, and other reasons, china and Taiwan should not be confused.