PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing Text

Martin Boekers
05-13-2013, 11:49 AM
I have a cutting job (vinyl) that the client was Papyrus, I think it may cause trouble cutting as it has a bucnch of jagged edges around
the perimeter. Is there an easy way to smooth this out?

Thanks!

Joe Hillmann
05-13-2013, 1:05 PM
I would try typing up your text, convert it to bitmap, convert the bit map to black and white line art then trace the bitmap. I don't have Papyrus in my selections of fonts so I cant try it out but that is how I often clean up signatures after scanning them in. It removes the blockiness of it.

Martin Boekers
05-13-2013, 2:14 PM
We think alike! I did try that, as well as bluring and resharpening in PS, but couldn't get a result that I like.

I could push and prod nodes, but there isn't enough money for the job to go through that much time. I was hoping for a quicker fix... :)

Joe Hillmann
05-13-2013, 2:37 PM
After replying I looked online to see what the papyrus font looks like. Is it possible to get your customer to switch to a different font? (you could point out to him that it is one of the most hated fonts other than comic sans.)

Here is a link to some fonts that are similar http://www.identifont.com/find?similar=papyrus&q=Go although the ones that look closest to papyrus are also jagged.

Ruben Salcedo
05-13-2013, 2:50 PM
Martin,

I'm not sure if you have the actual font or not, I have it... if you need it.

Anyways if you only have a bitmap of it here is how you may be able to fix it, for this to work in needs to have a transparent background layer, first may sure is in good workable resolution then hold the Ctrl key and click on the icon of the corresponded layer, this will load a selection around the text, go and select the lasso tool, now click "Refined Edge" at the selection tool bar, there you can adjust the smoothness of the edge feather etc, just concentrate in the "Adjust Edge" sliders... try it and see if this works for you.

Ruben

Martin Boekers
05-13-2013, 3:11 PM
Thanks for the idea Ruben, I forgot all about the refine edges.. This font has soooo many jagged, and deep edges, I just couldn't find a good compromise...

I have recommended other fonts an will push harder in that area.

Ross Moshinsky
05-13-2013, 3:39 PM
Convert to curves and then simplify?