PDA

View Full Version : Overstrike (ghosting) Problem

Peter Meacham
05-13-2013, 11:23 AM
I have a recently developed text ghosting problem on anodized aluminum - random places on table and random positions in a short line of text. I have cleaned all optics, checked for binding in X-axis mechanism. This is on an older Trotec262164 Speedy 1 which has been working perfectly for several years. Any ideas pls?

Scott Shepherd
05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Looks like it's splitting the beam to me. I know you said you have checked your optics, but have you looked at them with a magnifying glass? You might do that and make sure there's not some pit or flaw in the lens (or mirror). That looks like a classic splitting of the beam to me, but having said that, I've had it happen on our Universal and it ended up being the driver. I reloaded the driver and it fixed the problem. So I'd start with optics inspection, and then reinstall the driver, and if neither fix it, it's outside my limited knowledge.

Chuck Stone
05-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Looks like it's splitting the beam to me. .

That's what it looks like to me, too. And since it seems to come back
together as the head moves to the right, that tells me I should look
in the flying head for a crack or chip in the lens. But I don't have
that machine, so it is just a guess on my part.

John Salitsky
05-14-2013, 10:11 AM
I had the same problem with my Universal once and it was a worn out belt that was slipping slightly. It was only really noticable on thinner fonts or lines.

Peter Meacham
05-15-2013, 8:43 AM
Thanks for the inputs. I was thinking it was an electronic or laser tube issue because of the double firing. I would think if it was a mechanical issue I would get a shifting or sliding of the text, not a double strike. But I will take the x-axis apart and see if there is wear in the belt, bearings, etc.

Mark Sipes
05-15-2013, 4:29 PM
I had the same issue 10 years ago. It turned out the Cog gear on the X-beltr, which is glued in place on the spline had broken loose. And no matter what glue I used LockTite, LiquidMedal etc. It would not hold. Ordered a new drive gear and the problem was fixed. Look for play on the drive gear.....

It is the gear assembly that the belt drives not the motor itself.

Peter Meacham
05-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks Mark, I Will look at the gear assy when I take the drivetrain apart tomorrow.

Jon Colley
05-16-2013, 8:43 AM
From looking at the picture, I don't think this is a random effect. It appears that the text is OK in the center of engraving where it is engraving at higher speed but quite poor towards the edge when it is engraving at lower speed. I believe the K1 factor in the software needs to be adjusted. Proper adjustment of this allows the system to engrave properly regardles of the head speed. PM me and I will send you a procedure to verify this and do the adjustment.

George M. Perzel
05-16-2013, 9:06 AM
Pete;
Check for a loose lens or mirror and insure the beam path is perpendicular to the table.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Peter Meacham
05-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks George and Jon - PM sent to you Jon

Yuriy Karpov
05-16-2013, 5:51 PM
I have had the same problem with my ULS, the problem was faulty USB port.

Mark Sipes
05-22-2013, 5:59 PM
Ever find out what the problem is/was ??