PDA

View Full Version : Recliner Hardware

Don Abele
05-16-2005, 8:21 PM
We finally have a good prospect on a house in the Boston area for my upcoming change of duty stations. That house has a huge unfinished basement that we would like to put to good use. One of those will be a dedicated home theater (which currently resides in our living room). I looked at the prices for reclining sofas and boy are they expensive. So LOML asked why I couldn't build one - recliners don't seem all that complicated. Well, I looked and didn't find a single source of information for building one or, more importantly, a source for the hardware. Any ideas?

Be well,

Doc

Jim Becker
05-17-2005, 9:28 AM
I remember this being asked on another forum site a few years ago and the answer was pretty much negative. Recliner mechanisms "seem" to be custom to the product/chair manufacturer. But I wonder if you couldn't salvage a few old recliners somewhere (of the same type/manufacturer) and use them to rebuild a more appropriate seating arrangement.

Congrats on the prospective house!

Larry Reimer
05-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Don, I think too that you're going to have trouble finding a recliner mechanism without going to a specific chair manufacturer and buying parts. ALCO Sales and Service sells parts for healthcare equipment. On their website catalog they list two different recliner mechanisms available as replacement parts. They're around $90.00 per chair and are made as exact replacements for a specific chair. Good luck on your search and I wish you well on your change of duty stationis.

Alan Schaffter
05-17-2005, 1:31 PM
Store or garage sales for a ratty old recliner with good mechanism.