PDA

View Full Version : Steam powered box making factory video

Bob Rufener
05-12-2013, 7:36 PM
This is a fairly long video ( almost 15 minutes) but it is fascinating to watch. All of the equipment in this wooden box making factory is powered by steam. It is still in operation and the machinery is quite innovative for its age. Not necessarily OSHA approved but I hope things like this are preserved so future generations can see this: http://www.youtube.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

Gordon Eyre
05-12-2013, 8:09 PM
Pretty amazing. I used to work in a box factory as a young man and even though that was approximately 60 years ago it would have been considered modern by the standards of this steam powered plant. A fun video to watch.

ray hampton
05-12-2013, 9:00 PM
I am not able to watch the movie, an ERROR OCCUR

Greg Peterson
05-12-2013, 9:42 PM
Fascinating indeed. And the production was quite good.

Rich Engelhardt
05-13-2013, 6:27 AM
I am not able to watch the movie, an ERROR OCCURYou may need to update your Adobe Flash player.
Go to Adobe.com and download the latest version.
Just be careful to uncheck the box that says install Chrome (unless you want it installed), otherwise it wll install Google Chrome as your browser and make it your default browser.

Lee Schierer
05-13-2013, 9:00 AM
You may need to update your Adobe Flash player.
Go to Adobe.com and download the latest version.
Just be careful to uncheck the box that says install Chrome (unless you want it installed), otherwise it wll install Google Chrome as your browser and make it your default browser.

Some versions of Adobe Flash Player try to install Mcafee which can screw up your computer if you already have a different virus protection program running. Watch for the box to uncheck during the update process.

Rick Potter
05-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Bob,

Thank you for sharing this video with us. Fantastic.

Rick Potter

David Weaver
05-13-2013, 12:16 PM
John Hartford would have approved.

Bill Cunningham
05-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Cool Video.. That digital temp gauge must have been one of the turn of the century models..:D
Kinda figured they would just wet a finger and check the sizzle like my mother used to do with her iron..:rolleyes:

Ole Anderson
05-15-2013, 8:51 AM
Absolutely fascinating. Thanks so much for posting. Very well done video, great sound and music, good lighting and videography. Any narration would have ruined it. I loved the dog, he knew exactly where not to put his tail. Best listened to with a good set of earphones.

Robert McGowen
05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
I loved the dog, he knew exactly where not to put his tail.

Maybe from experience? It looked like he had about half of a tail to me!

Jim Rimmer
05-15-2013, 1:22 PM
Loved the video. It was an interesting process. In my day job I am a safety manager so there was a lot there that made me cringe and I'm sure most of you saw it too. The one thing that really gave me the heebie jeebies was the long hair around all the pulleys and belts. :eek:

bob svoboda
05-15-2013, 1:56 PM
Very cool! Kind of scary though, seeing someone working around those spinning wheels, belts etc with long, loose hair flying around. I guess if common sense were more common, we wouldn't need agencies like OSHA.

Brian Elfert
05-15-2013, 3:10 PM
I am a bit surprised OSHA hasn't shut that place down already. Sure, I think what they are doing is really cool, but how could they pass an OSHA inspection? I have to imagine that OSHA doesn't grandfather in old stuff like that.

Chris Padilla
05-15-2013, 3:39 PM
Loved it and I, too, wondered about:

(1) Dog's rather short tail
(2) Woman's rather long hair
(3) Exposed gears spinning at mach 6
(4) Exposed wiring

I heard Led Zeppelin in the background...that works!!!

What?! No dovetails?? :D

OSHA would have a field day but I loved it...simply AWESOME!!

'Jacques Malan'
05-15-2013, 4:05 PM
It is a lovely video, I enjoyed seeing the dog (I miss mine terribly), but I am so glad it is not my workshop, the maintenance must be a nightmare.

Rick Potter
05-16-2013, 1:55 AM
I would guess that the place is on the National Historic Register, and perhaps gets an exemption?? It's also possible that everybody there is family?? Workers Comp would likely feint seeing the operation.

That being said, it's still awesome.

Rick Potter

John McClanahan
05-18-2013, 9:33 AM
That is soooo cool! Top quality video production.

The best part for me was the branding. Part of my job is making magnesium plates like that. Our customers use them for hot foil stamping on greeting cards. I quite honestly didn't realize the plates could withstand that abuse at that high of temperature. I just may have to make a brand for my better work!

John