PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw advice

Phil Labowski
05-12-2013, 4:59 PM
Okay, so the saw I picked up from the pawn shop wasn't the bargain I thought it was. The repair said that the muffler screw had been put in with lock tight, or something, because he couldn't get it out, but if he could he was sure he'd see a burned up piston. I know I didn't do it I never had the thing running long enough to burn it up! lol. On the upside I sent my father a text saying a wanted a new chainsaw cuz that one was a lemon and I got an unexpected answer. So now I need to know of a saw where cost and quality are both acceptable. I found a "Yard Dog" that comes with a 20" and a 14" bar/chain that falls under the $200 mark, but I've never heard of the brand. There was a Blue something that had the same deal with the 2 bars/chains. Also, why would you want a 14" bar if you have a 20"? Thanks in advance!

Jim Becker
05-12-2013, 8:07 PM
My advise to you is that it is actually less expensive to buy a more expensive saw the first time..."replacement" of a poor performing or dysfunctional chainsaw costs a whole lot more. I know that from experience. I bought a typical "homeowner" type 16" bar saw from a home center when I first moved onto this property. It was about $190 and had a "brand name" that I recognized. It didn't last very long, was hard to start and would have been expensive to fix because it would have had to have been sent way. (no, it was not in warranty at that point...long story) Lesson learned. I bought an 18" bar Stihl saw (.029 Farm Boss) after that for about $299. It starts easily, even after it's sat for months and cuts like a dream. I basically wasted $200 with that first purchase since it was unrecoverable.

So even if you have to add a few bucks to the kitty, buy a Stihl or Husquvarna chain saw and don't look back! And buy it from an independent dealer, not a big-box store. You want the saws that haven't had any features compromised to reduce cost.

keith micinski
05-12-2013, 8:12 PM
I have a 14" Husqvarna that I love and runs like a dream. It sounds small but I cleared and entire 1000 foot driveway and a spot for the house. It starts right up every time and has more then enough power. My only complaint is that the chain was changed during the model run and you have to be careful when buying a 14 inch chain because if it has the other manufacture date on it it wont work.

Gordon Eyre
05-12-2013, 8:13 PM
Amen to what Jim said.

Bill Bukovec
05-12-2013, 8:36 PM
Don't waste your money on a bargain saw. Like the previous posts said, it's a waste of money.

I bought a (from a dealer)Stihl that normally comes with a 16" bar. I upgraded to an 18" bar for 10 bucks or so.

It starts and runs beautifully. Some times I let it idle on the ground and just listen to it run.

There is nothing worse than a poor quality saw that starts hard and doesn't stay running.

Good luck,

Bill

Mark W Pugh
05-12-2013, 8:49 PM
Don't waste your money on a bargain saw. Like the previous posts said, it's a waste of money.

I bought a (from a dealer)Stihl that normally comes with a 16" bar. I upgraded to an 18" bar for 10 bucks or so.

It starts and runs beautifully. Some times I let it idle on the ground and just listen to it run.

There is nothing worse than a poor quality saw that starts hard and doesn't stay running.

Good luck,

Bill
Everything said here is exactly what I did. Can't go wrong with a Stihl.

Jim Andrew
05-12-2013, 8:59 PM
I have 2 Stihl chainsaws that I have had several years. Took one to my mechanic as the fuel was leaking out, and he said he buys a Poulan when they are on sale, and just runs it till it quits and then gets a new one. Says they last pretty well, and it is cheaper than owning a Stihl. Mine run about 400 each, and he buys an 18" Poulan for about 129. One thing I have done which has saved me lots of money, is to sign up with Bailey's, and I order my new bars and chains when they send out a sale catalog. Their chains are much better than the Stihl replacement chains. And you can order replacement parts and just about anything for forestry use.

Peter Kelly
05-12-2013, 11:00 PM
I found a "Yard Dog" that comes with a 20" and a 14" bar/chain that falls under the $200 mark, but I've never heard of the brand. There was a Blue something that had the same deal with the 2 bars/chains. Also, why would you want a 14" bar if you have a 20"? Thanks in advance!Probably because that saw wasn't ever meant for a 20" bar.

Save your money and get a Dolmar. I recommend the PS-510 if you're looking for something in the 50cc / 18" range.

Michael Mayo
05-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Another Stihl fan here. I had an 025 model which is known as a homeowner saw with an 18" bar and it works fine but didn't have the umphh to really cut big stuff fast. So I picked up a Stihl 044 70cc saw and it is a beast of a saw with a 20" bar on it. It made very quick work of some downed Oaks that my neighbor had after the Hurricane Sandy storm last year. Got the saw for a pretty good price $350 when all the saws in that range were listed at $600+ used. Great saws and if you take care of them and keep up on the maintenance they will last forever.

Matt Meiser
05-13-2013, 8:37 AM
I'm a big Stihl fan too, but there are several good brands of OPE. Find a dealer you like that's been around for a while and has a loyal following and buy what they recommend. By dealer, I mean a locally owned/operated business with a service department. Don't buy OPE at a big box store--someone should take it out of the box, check it over, adjust anything as needed, etc before you buy it, and be there if you need parts, service, or advise in the future.

In my immediate area, there are as many Stihl dealers as everyone else combined. Not that it really matters as I've bought nearly all my equipment from one dealer who I've done business with since I bought my first toy tractor from them at the county fair when I was about 6. Its still convenient though as I can pick up an extra trimmer spool, air filter, etc etc almost any direction I need to go rather than make a special trip (or even go 2 miles out of the way.)

I don't use my chainsaw much at all but when I need it I need it. I picked up an MS210 from one of the other local dealers which was a used-for-2-weeks trade in from someone who bought too small. I saved a nice chunk of money by giving up the factory warranty, but the dealer said he'd honor it himself if needed (it never was.) That dealer I'd known the owner (he's passed away now) since his son and I were in 1st grade together. The new owner of that business seems to be continuing on and I still use them for a lot of supplies or tractor parts because they are only a mile and a half from my house (less than a mile if I could cut across the fields.) The MS210 has done everything I needed--mostly storm damage cleanup.

I'm sure others will want to add/subtract from this list, but you might want to go check out dealers of some of the following: Stihl, Jonsered, Echo, Redmax, Dolmar, Husqvarna. Weingartz is a big dealer of a few of these brands that has a couple locations up your way. Don't really know much about them but it might be a good place to start.

Charles Wiggins
05-13-2013, 9:07 AM
My advise to you is that it is actually less expensive to buy a more expensive saw the first time..."replacement" of a poor performing or dysfunctional chainsaw costs a whole lot more. I know that from experience. I bought a typical "homeowner" type 16" bar saw from a home center when I first moved onto this property. It was about $190 and had a "brand name" that I recognized. It didn't last very long, was hard to start and would have been expensive to fix because it would have had to have been sent way. (no, it was not in warranty at that point...long story) Lesson learned. I bought an 18" bar Stihl saw (.029 Farm Boss) after that for about $299. It starts easily, even after it's sat for months and cuts like a dream. I basically wasted $200 with that first purchase since it was unrecoverable.

So even if you have to add a few bucks to the kitty, buy a Stihl or Husquvarna chain saw and don't look back! And buy it from an independent dealer, not a big-box store. You want the saws that haven't had any features compromised to reduce cost.

Jim already said just about everything I would have. I had a Poulan from a Big Box Store. It was fine until I had to stop it to refuel or turn a log or the like. Once it was hot it did not want to restart - never figured out why. This got really frustrating when I was trying to drop a whole line of trees along our driveway. I finally gave up on it and went and got a Stihl MS290. One of my best purchases ever.

If you're new to chainsaws you may want the Chain Saw Safety and Maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3E9799378A063DC6) from Stihl. No matter what type of saw you buy there is information in there that will help.

Bill Bukovec
05-13-2013, 1:35 PM
One thing I forgot to add.

I never use gas that has ethanol in any of my small engines.

I got that tip from a small engine mechanic.

Bill

Gregory King
05-13-2013, 3:00 PM
Phil, I love chainsaw work as I have my own woodlot. Husky for me and I have a 266 and a 45 models. One for big and one for small work. The best advice I can give you is to use the very best grade of gasoline and the manufacturers oil. I have a 10 liter can that uses a single can of the Husky oil. No way the mix can go wrong. Nothing burns a piston any quicker that a bad mix or cheap grade of fuel. Take care to wear the proper gear and keep the chain sharp. A dull saw is hard on both the operator and the saw. Greg

Earnest Riley Thornton
05-13-2013, 3:44 PM
I went to look for a local husky dealer in an attempt to get a pro-series saw. No dice the old husky dealer closest to me became a stihl dealer. I got them and a few of the other stihl dealers in the area to quote me a 50-55cc pro-series. I did not really care for the pricing.

So I went down to the local big box place with a gift-card and coupon code in hand and ordered a pro-series echo CP-550. I could live with the price I ended up paying. I will see how it holds up in the long run.

Matt Meiser
05-13-2013, 4:06 PM
So I went down to the local big box place with a gift-card and coupon code in hand and ordered a pro-series echo CP-550. I could live with the price I ended up paying. I will see how it holds up in the long run.

Now take it somewhere for service. A lot of dealers will put you at the end of the line for service on an item bought at a big box. Not sure if Husqvarna sells different machines at big boxes than dealers, but the big box Deere tractors are significantly lower quality. My dealer says they often end up "totaled" after a couple years. I don't get this as it seems like it just hurts the brand image.

Earnest Riley Thornton
05-13-2013, 4:16 PM
Now take it somewhere for service. A lot of dealers will put you at the end of the line for service on an item bought at a big box.

Are you suggesting over-paying to get in the front of the line for over-priced service?

Mike Monroe
05-13-2013, 4:17 PM
I call it the "Economy of Quality", purchase a quality tool only once. For my chainsaw money it's a Stihl. Own a 036 Pro and a 066 Magnum. Both have cut many cords of firewood over the years and I expect them to cut many more in the future. Don't neglect to invest in PPE also, chaps and a helmet with muffs and face guard.

Having said that, if you only cut a small tree down now and then, a throw away saw should suffice. I still recommend the PPE though.

Peter Kelly
05-13-2013, 4:26 PM
Having said that, if you only cut a small tree down now and then, a throw away saw should suffice. I still recommend the PPE though.Or a trip to the rental yard when you need the saw. I foresee the throw-away one not starting after it's sat for a while.

As above, avoid using ethanol gas.

Jerome Stanek
05-13-2013, 4:37 PM
Stihl recommends premium fuel and their synthetic oil and no sea foam.

Matt Meiser
05-13-2013, 4:50 PM
Are you suggesting over-paying to get in the front of the line for over-priced service?

As opposed to the high level of service you get from the big box?

Matt Meiser
05-13-2013, 4:51 PM
Or a trip to the rental yard when you need the saw. I foresee the throw-away one not starting after it's sat for a while.

Only problem with that is usually when you need it most is when everyone and their brother is looking for one!

David Weaver
05-13-2013, 4:56 PM
Now take it somewhere for service. A lot of dealers will put you at the end of the line for service on an item bought at a big box. Not sure if Husqvarna sells different machines at big boxes than dealers, but the big box Deere tractors are significantly lower quality. My dealer says they often end up "totaled" after a couple years. I don't get this as it seems like it just hurts the brand image.

The husky saws are the same saw if they have the same number. I would assume that the good dealers also sell the line of saws that start with 1xx. I don't know if the same is still true, but anything less than 3 as the first number, except maybe for a limbing saw with XP after the nuber (if there was one) wouldn't be that great unless it was old enough to be a 262 or a 288 or 2100 (those saws would all be a handful for anyone, anyway).

Long ago, I got a 350 when sears was clearing them out. Falls in the same range (mid grade) of saws as the MS 290 or the husky rancher, or dolmar 510. I'd get it at a dealer if I bought now, just because I appreciate the dealer model and the box stores are long past the point where they sell anything good cheaply. Our local pro places have the same price. Only thing I've needed, though, is a replacement fuel line, and need to go no further than the bench to fix that.

Mid grade saws like the 350 (or whatever it is now) and the MS 290 are as low as I would go, also. They are decent saws that aren't designed to throw away. The 350s have some muffler issues, but that's a separate discussion and a good user who knows how to tighten a nut can avoid them.

John Bailey
05-13-2013, 8:35 PM
I have both a Stihl and a Husqvarna. I tend to use the Husky most of the time as it's got about 17cc more power but only weighs about a pound more. You can't go wrong with either brand.

As others have said, unless you're going after a throw away saw, find a dealer. It's harder to find a Husky dealer, but I like their saws, so I drove a little further to buy my Husky.

For most, there is no reason to go beyond the farmer/rancher models. I've had the same model Stihl that Jim mentioned for 9 years. I heat my house with wood. It's paid for itself many times over. I also use it with my Alaskan Mini-Mill. It's never missed a beat. I've only had the Husqvarna for a couple of years, (576XP) but its become my go to saw because of its weight/power ratio.

Stephen Cherry
05-13-2013, 9:18 PM
I've got a stihl also, has always started and ran ok, but there may be other brands. As mentioned above, I think that Dolmar makes a good saw.

As for the bar, it's always good to climb with a shorter bar, and a long bar can cut bigger logs. And now that I'm older, lighter would be better also.

For fuel, I use normal, ethonalized regular unleaded, with stihl oil, and when I am done with the saw, I pour the gas out and put in some stihl premix that comes in the cans. Not cheap, but it's cheaper than a new carburetor.

John TenEyck
05-14-2013, 8:14 AM
You didn't state what your needs are and that makes all the difference. Occasional, homeowner type use can be met very nicely with almost any saw and the Poulan saws that some folks spit on are actually made quite well and run a long time. I wouldn't buy one if I planned to cut 10 cords of wood a year, every year, but they are fine for their intended use. You can never go wrong buying a pro saw - white handled Stihl saws, or XP model Husqvarna, and they are a pleasure to use, but you will be paying a lot more than needed if you don't plan or need to do a lot of cutting. Define your needs, then go from there. Then consider how mechanically inclined you are. If you like doing your own maintenance then a lower end saw from the BORG may be fine. If you don't know anything about chainsaws, and don't want to, then you should only buy from an authorized dealer where you can get them to do whatever service it needs. My last advise - don't buy too big. A 14" bar can easily cut down a 28" dia. tree. More importantly, a small saw is light and won't tire you out like a heavier saw.

John

John Bailey
05-14-2013, 8:55 AM
A 14" bar can easily cut down a 28" dia. tree. More importantly, a small saw is light and won't tire you out like a heavier saw.

John

John is correct about the weight. My two saws, Stihl MS 290 (56cc)and Husqvarna 576XP (73cc), are 13 lb. and 14 lbs. As I get older I find myself looking for a good 40/45cc saw that weighs around 10 lbs. That saw with a 16/18" bar would take care of all my needs except the milling I do.

Larry Browning
05-14-2013, 1:45 PM
One more vote for the Stihl fan here. I say even for the guy like me who uses a chainsaw maybe once or twice a year the Stihl makes since. Even if I haven't started the beast in over 2 years, it will start on the 2nd or 3rd pull and run all day. My one an only chainsaw I have ever owned is a Stihl I inherited for my dad. He bought it some time in the early 80s. When I first got it about 20 years ago, I took it to a Stihl dealer who gave it a good tune up and showed me how to use it. It has never failed to start and I think cuts better with a dull chain than most cheap saws do with a sharp chain. Plus, I think you might be able to find a used one at a Stihl dealer shop for not much more than a cheap home center model. Trust me, that used Stihl will be twice the saw as just about any other brand. Get a Stihl and it will be the last chain saw you ever buy.

Brian Brightwell
05-14-2013, 2:58 PM
John is correct about the weight. My two saws, Stihl MS 290 (56cc)and Husqvarna 576XP (73cc), are 13 lb. and 14 lbs. As I get older I find myself looking for a good 40/45cc saw that weighs around 10 lbs. That saw with a 16/18" bar would take care of all my needs except the milling I do.

John, how you liken the 576? I have a 576 AutoTune that has been porter by Mastermind in Tenn. It really rips

I work on saws quite a bit and like playing with them. Basically Stihl and Husky make two lines of saws they call the Pro and Homeowner or casual use saws. The pro saws have magnesium crankcases as opposed to plastic. The pro saws are better quality and have a better power to weight ratio. If you are not going to do a lot of cutting "homeowners" are ok. For most people dealer support is critical. I personally will not own an overweight underpowered POS that are some of the Stihl's and Husky's, but that's just me. Pro saws are easier to work on too.

If there is a good Dolmar dealer near you that would be my choice. Even most of the lower end Dolmars have pro features and are superior to low end Stihl & Husky. All the Dolmars I have owned have been very good. I feel sorry for people who pay good money for a saw and because it says Stihl or Husky on it think it is top of the line.

I payed $400 for my 2153 Jonsered which is a 346Husky. My 576AT was $700 powerhead only and $200 for the port work. I consider those very good prices for those saws.

John TenEyck
05-14-2013, 3:38 PM
No argument that pro saws are the best built, have the best power to weight ratio, and are easier to work on. From what I've heard the 576 AT is an incredible saw. But until the OP tells us what his needs are we are just speculating and offering personal preferences with no real knowledge of what would serve him best. And I would not count out a homeowner Stihl. I thought they were junk until my neighbor bought one, the little MS190 which looks like a toy. He knows nothing about chainsaws and doesn't want too, so he brings it to me for service. He runs the snot out of that thing. He must have a hundred hours on it over the past 3 years. All I've had to do is sharpen chains and blow it out with air now and then. It just runs and runs and with a sharp chain it cuts very well, and at 8.6 lbs it won't tire you out. Yeah, it's mostly plastic. So what? My brother has an old Poulan that he paid less than $100 for, which is also mostly plastic, that he must have 200 hours on by now. I rebuilt the carb. last year, after nearly 20 years, and fabbed a new chain tensioner for it. $12 total. It cuts like a maniac. Personally, I have mostly pro quality saws, including Shindaiwa and Husqvarna, but my Stihl landowner saw (MS 290) cuts pretty well, too, after I opened up the muffler and reset the carb. For what it was made for it does a fine job. Sorry, this was a long winded way of saying buy what fits your needs.

John

Dan Neuhaus
05-14-2013, 6:06 PM
I'm a property manager for a 1000 acre private estate and run a saw at least once a week and often much more frequently. Much of the property is wooded on steep slopes, with several winding drives. Anytime there's a storm, a tree or branch comes down that gets sawed up. I have 3 Stihls at work and reach for the 16" ms 260 pro most often. It's light and cuts great with a sharp chain. The big 046 only get broken out when something over 30" drops. Definitely can't go wrong with a mid range Stihl. That being said, at home I run a cheapo Husky and couldn't be happier. It's super light and starts every time. As said before its all plastic but as long as your not dropping it on concrete it will hold up fine. I also happen to have 5 or 6 vintage Homelite monsters and boxes of new parts I inherited from my grandfather who owned 2 Homelite dealerships.

Brian Brightwell
05-14-2013, 6:23 PM
Dan,I got to run a 750 Homelite, that saw would make a pile of chips in a hurry. I wouldn't want to carry it all day.

John T. you are right, we don't know the O.P.'s needs or budget. That is why I made no suggestions about a specific saw but talked in generalities.
A plastic crankcase is plenty strong but is too heavy and they don't hold screws well.

Dan Neuhaus
05-14-2013, 7:39 PM
Brian,
Your right, my brother kept a 750 with a 44" bar, that thing is a beast but pretty useless unless your a professional. Most of the saws I inherited aren't very exciting, a few 150's, a 240, a 330 and a 360. But I did get a 50's model 26 lst, your can almost ride the thing.

Gary Breckenridge
05-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Stihl is still the best chainsaw. Use 89 octane gas.

Larry Edgerton
05-15-2013, 6:45 AM

Ditto. I am thinking of picking up a 346XP for the light weight. I have a 357XP and a 392XP that I seldom use as I get older. We have a good dealer up here for husky, so I'll stick with what works. That dealer on Thumb Lake road, can't remember the name right now.

Larry

Ole Anderson
05-15-2013, 8:54 AM
Check out the chainsaw forum on arboristsite dot com.

Travis Newcomb
05-15-2013, 11:54 AM
I just bought my first house and asked to borrow my dad's chainsaw. He said: "It is Stihl in the shop..." so I bought a Husky of my own :)

Brian Brightwell
05-15-2013, 12:31 PM
I just bought my first house and asked to borrow my dad's chainsaw. He said: "It is Stihl in the shop..." so I bought a Husky of my own :)

That is Funny,Travis.

Gordon Eyre
05-16-2013, 1:21 PM
I have spent this whole week cutting down a thirty foot Locust tree in my back yard. I borrowed a Poullan chain saw from my neighbor and could never get it started. I wore myself out trying. I took the chain saw back and my neighbor said well I have another Poullan saw, try that one. I was able to get the saw started but every time I set it down it would quit. Thiis was very frustrating to say the least. I finally gave up on that dog and reverted to my trusty bow saw. I cut the entire tree down by hand and for the last few days I have cut up nearly all the branches into fireplace size logs. I got a lot of good exercise and for a 78 year old I think I have done pretty good.

Fifteen years ago I had a Stihl saw and never once did it give me the fits that these two Poullan saws have. Oh well, I got the job done and proved that an old man can still do what he has to do.

Maurice Arney
05-16-2013, 3:44 PM
I agree with others who say not to try and save money on a bargain saw. I will cost you more in the long run. I learned the hard way after going through several "bargain" store saws. I finally bought a Husqvarna 18" about five years ago and wish I had done so years before.

David C. Roseman
05-16-2013, 6:05 PM
I have spent this whole week cutting down a thirty foot Locust tree in my back yard. I borrowed a Poullan chain saw from my neighbor and could never get it started. I wore myself out trying. I took the chain saw back and my neighbor said well I have another Poullan saw, try that one. I was able to get the saw started but every time I set it down it would quit. Thiis was very frustrating to say the least. I finally gave up on that dog and reverted to my trusty bow saw. I cut the entire tree down by hand and for the last few days I have cut up nearly all the branches into fireplace size logs. I got a lot of good exercise and for a 78 year old I think I have done pretty good.

Fifteen years ago I had a Stihl saw and never once did it give me the fits that these two Poullan saws have. Oh well, I got the job done and proved that an old man can still do what he has to do.

Gordon, very impressive! I'd say, yes, you done good!!

My only concern is that you squandered a perfectly good opportunity to justify buying another Stihl. :D

David

Gordon Eyre
05-16-2013, 8:50 PM
Gordon, very impressive! I'd say, yes, you done good!!

My only concern is that you squandered a perfectly good opportunity to justify buying another Stihl. :D

David

I hear you David but I don't plan on cutting down anymore trees at my age. Course I thought that 15 years ago as well.

Brian Brightwell
05-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Gordon, when someone ask if I have a saw they could borrow, I saw yes I do but its broke right now!

johnny means
05-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Gordon, could I have some of whatever your drinking?

Gordon Eyre
05-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Gordon, when someone ask if I have a saw they could borrow, I saw yes I do but its broke right now!

I have done a lot of things for this neighbor so I didn't hesitate to ask. I have also baked him a loaf of warm wheat bread each time I bake it for my wife and I. I have been doing this for two years now (ever since his wife died).

It's just water Johnny, 6 to 8 glasses a day. :D

John TenEyck
05-17-2013, 1:56 PM
Gordon, that was pretty impressive to cut up the whole tree with a bow saw - not something I want to emulate any time soon. I'll bet the problem with your neighbor's saws had nothing to do with what brand they were; rather, the way they were treated or, more likely, stored. I'll bet he hadn't used them in a long time, but there was still gas in the tank. That's a sure recipe for the carb. gumming up, and so easy to avoid if you dump out the tank whenever you're not going to use the saw for several days or longer, and then run it at low speed until the saw stops. Sometimes the problem is a collapsed fuel pick up tube, a real problem with my Shindaiwas and some Stihl saws after our gasoline went to 10 ethanol. Ethanol swells and softens the rubber that was used in them. Two solutions here - either use pure gas if you can find it, or dump out the fuel and run it dry as described above.

John

Gordon Eyre
05-17-2013, 2:45 PM
Gordon, that was pretty impressive to cut up the whole tree with a bow saw - not something I want to emulate any time soon. I'll bet the problem with your neighbor's saws had nothing to do with what brand they were; rather, the way they were treated or, more likely, stored. I'll bet he hadn't used them in a long time, but there was still gas in the tank. That's a sure recipe for the carb. gumming up, and so easy to avoid if you dump out the tank whenever you're not going to use the saw for several days or longer, and then run it at low speed until the saw stops. Sometimes the problem is a collapsed fuel pick up tube, a real problem with my Shindaiwas and some Stihl saws after our gasoline went to 10 ethanol. Ethanol swells and softens the rubber that was used in them. Two solutions here - either use pure gas if you can find it, or dump out the fuel and run it dry as described above.

John

Your probably right John. So many people fail to take proper care of their tools. That is a good idea to dump the unused fuel.

Thanks for the compliment on cutting up the tree. Actually the exercise was probably good for me, especially since I have been on a weight loss kick the last three months. I am walking an average of 7 miles a day and watching what I eat. I have lost a significant amount of weight and look and feel much better.

Gregory King
05-17-2013, 3:07 PM
Just a humourous quick note on my 266 Husky. Bought it new in 1987, cut on the average of 3 cord per year for my own use and the last few years my brother- in law and I have purchased tree length wood by the long trailer load for cutting, splitting and resale as a side job that we enjoy. Anyway, since the day I bought it new it takes 5 full pulls on the cord no matter how long it sits idle between starting times. Every spring when I get it out, there seems to be someone around at that time and I can't help but mention " 5 pulls and she'll start". And it always does. Greg

Larry Edgerton
05-17-2013, 4:17 PM

Really! I cut wood to heat my house with hand saws back in the 70's. People used to ask me what was wrong with my right arm it was so much bigger than the left. Now I use a pro saw and a tractor, and its still harder. Hats off to you Gordon!

Larry

Greg Hines, MD
05-17-2013, 9:48 PM
I am also a fan of Stihl, though I do not have one. I bought a Husqvarna, with a 24" bar, off Amazon.com, and have had no problems with it. When I was at home, and also when I worked at the summer camp, we used Poulans and Stihls, and the Stihls were reliable and I had no complaints with them. Not the same for the Poulans, as they gave us all kinds of troubles.

That said, when we first got married, my wife gave me a Homelite el-cheapo saw with an 18" bar. And other than having to replace the sprocket bearing after about 12 years of use, it still works just fine. For a saw that I generally expected to last a year, it is going on 15 now and still works like a dream.

Doc

Ed Edwards
05-18-2013, 2:30 AM
Jim Andrews

When you said, referencing Bailey's, "Their chains are much better than the Stihl replacement chains" which chains were you refering to ??

Not trying to steal the thread, just looking for good info

Thanks, Ed:)

Matt Meiser
05-18-2013, 9:33 AM
You can't compare a 15yo Homelite saw to current production. I'm not sure if that's during the John Deere or Textron ownership period but they went rapidly downmarket during the early 2000's. I bought a string trimmer from the John Deere period that wasn't bad. Only reason I replace it was that it was a curved-shaft one and I couldn't trim around the pine trees at this house with it. Homelite is currently a Techtronics brand and I believe its a low-end Home Depot-only brand to supplement their line of Echo stuff. Apparently TTI doesn't support the old stuff either.

I was surprised (maybe disappointed is the word) to learn that Husqvarna owns McColloch, Poulan and Weed Eater. If they ever decide to sell them, I bet Stanley/Black and Decker would jump at the chance.

Brian Brightwell
05-18-2013, 1:26 PM
I ordered a new 562 AutoTune yesterday for a logger friend. $600 power head only. I am anxious to see how it runs. However,Auto tune saws take about 5 gallon of fuel to break in.