PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man

Richard Jones
05-12-2013, 2:18 PM
Don't know if this has been posted or not. Incredible..............

"This is an Isle of Man camera video done really well. It lasts about five minutes.
Keep in mind that this is the last true motorcycle road race in the world. Each lap is 37.75 miles long with over 200 turns.And the record for a single lap is over 130 MPH. There are straight sections where the bikes hit over 200 MPH. It Is hard to imagine such riding speeds, but they do it every year at the end of May and have been doing so since 1907. There have been over 240 rider fatalities in the history of the event, but it is bigger than ever today. Two riders were killed during the 2012 events.The helmet cam video over the last minute or so of the clip is breathtaking. This event makes car racers look like a bunch of wimps.
Even Sir Jackie Stewart is amazed by what he sees. BTW, former Formula One World Champion, John Surtees won this event before he switched from motorcycles to race cars."Here's the video:

http://vimeo.com/53551115

Kevin Bourque
05-12-2013, 2:42 PM
Add this to the list of things I will NEVER try in my life!!! :D

Bruce Page
05-12-2013, 4:23 PM
I had a adrenalin rush just watching that!

Thanks

Bob Rufener
05-12-2013, 7:28 PM
WOW! That last part with the onboard camera really shows just how fast these bikes are moving.

Shawn Pixley
05-12-2013, 7:34 PM
That high speed shimmy gives me the willies watching....

Brian Ashton
05-13-2013, 1:46 AM
That high speed shimmy gives me the willies watching....

Ah speed wobble with a bit of a tank slapper thrown in there just to spice it up a bit. Makes you feel alive! when you make it out the other side. That kick of adrenaline makes you grab the throttle grip a a bit harder and give it an extra bit of twist... Loved the invincible 20s...

Jason Roehl
05-13-2013, 9:20 AM
Ah speed wobble with a bit of a tank slapper thrown in there just to spice it up a bit. Makes you feel alive! when you make it out the other side. That kick of adrenaline makes you grab the throttle grip a a bit harder and give it an extra bit of twist... Loved the invincible 20s...

Yeah, my '94 Katana 750 had a shimmy in the front wheel at about 140 MPH. Made for some pretty severe pucker factor the first time I hit it. No evidence of it by the time I was at 160 MPH...

Bob, that video really doesn't do those speeds justice watching them on a computer monitor. I found that, starting at about 130 MPH, I started to get tunnel vision--meaning that the scenery was moving by too fast in my peripheral vision for my brain to process it, plus I was covering ground so fast that I HAD to be completely focused on the road ahead--12 seconds ahead at 150 MPH is quite a distance!

I'm just glad to be alive. I got all that out of my system years ago. Unfortunately, I just got to see an old friend this weekend because he was in town for the funeral of one of his high school friends who lost control of his Harley at a very high speed, without a helmet. 39 years old, wife and two pre-teen boys.