PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun!

Bill Arnold
05-16-2005, 5:57 PM
Our local club, Florida West Coast Woodworkers, has a "2x4" contest each year. There's a fairly wide range of projects submitted from toys to turnings. Here are a couple of photos of my project, a plant stand (or side table or whatever).

The legs are laminations of 6, 1/8" layers. I resawed a section of the board to 3/8" thick slices and cut the pieces for the top. Finish is a little cherry stain topped with lacquer.

It got Third Place!

Nick Mitchell
05-16-2005, 6:04 PM
Great stuff Bill!

I love 2be4 contests :D

David Fried
05-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Funny, I just bought some 2x4s that look a lot like those legs!
That contest sounds like a fun challenge! The table is great!!
I would love to see what others did (hint, hint ;) ).

Thanks for the look.

Mike Parzych
05-16-2005, 10:19 PM
On one forum I saw pictures of lights some artsy fartsy type made from 2 x 4's. Apparently it was split, routed into "U" channels and then glued back together, with track lights inside. Gave off a weird sorta glow.

They were selling them to Fools in NY for $60 apiece, or some such outrageous figure.

Richard Wolf
05-16-2005, 10:23 PM
I hope you are not implying that people from NY are fools!

Richard

Corey Hallagan
05-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Bill, that don't look like 2 X 4's to me!! Nice work, hope you win!!

Corey

John Hart
05-16-2005, 11:51 PM
What a fun contest!...Best of luck..nice table.:)

Robby Phelps
05-16-2005, 11:53 PM
As always Bill wonderful work even with 2x4's.

Dale Rodabaugh
05-17-2005, 5:21 AM
Lookin good:cool: :cool: :cool:

Bill Arnold
05-17-2005, 7:28 AM
Thanks for your comments, guys.

... I would love to see what others did (hint, hint ;) ). ... Here's the link to our club's website page with all the entries:
http://www.floridawoodworkers.com/LatestNews.html

Jeff Sudmeier
05-17-2005, 8:21 AM
Bill,

Great job on your table! I would never guess it is from a 2x4. All of the other entries look great as well.

John Miliunas
05-17-2005, 8:58 AM
Simply amazes me the creativity so many folks have with that competition! Yours in no exception!!!:) Very well done, Bill and very deserving of a top place in the competition!:) :cool:

Jay Knepper
05-17-2005, 9:47 AM
Great job, Bill! One of the thrills I remembered when I first got some stationary power tools was in seeing how great even a 2x4 looked after being jointed and sawed. Your project really elevates the use of this humble timber.

Jim W. White
05-17-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm envious. Your club looks like a ton of fun!!

Nice job on the table, for what it's worth I think it was more worthy of the blue ribbon (first) than of third.
..Jim in Idaho

Bill Arnold
05-17-2005, 2:07 PM
I'm envious. Your club looks like a ton of fun!!

Nice job on the table, for what it's worth I think it was more worthy of the blue ribbon (first) than of third.
..Jim in IdahoJim,

Thanks for your comment. After the voting was done, every one who participated got up to 'show and tell' about our project.:eek: I took my table off the workbench and started describing it in detail, after which several guys commented that if they had seen the top of my table, they would have voted it for first place.:confused: Next time, maybe they'll get out of their seats and check out all the projects more closely.:rolleyes: Actually, it's kinda immaterial to me -- I enjoyed participating -- that's the most important thing.;)

Regards,

Mike Ramsey
05-17-2005, 3:53 PM
Mike are you from NY? And did you buy one of those?;)
On one forum I saw pictures of lights some artsy fartsy type made from 2 x 4's. Apparently it was split, routed into "U" channels and then glued back together, with track lights inside. Gave off a weird sorta glow.

They were selling them to Fools in NY for $60 apiece, or some such outrageous figure.