PDA

View Full Version : opinion on The Wood Whisperer?

John Piwaron
05-12-2013, 9:23 AM
Does anyone have an opinion on the site known as "The Wood Whisperer?" Membership rates look expensive. Is spending that much worth it?

Julie Moriarty
05-12-2013, 10:01 AM
He has a lot of free access there, including videos, that have helped me a lot. He seems knowledgeable and conveys the information well. Actually, I never even looked at membership. Everything I was looking for was free.

Jordan Lane
05-12-2013, 10:18 AM
he's not the cheapest nor the most expensive either( there are different levels of membership)..contest posting is reliable and on time, meaningful and easy to understand. I've been a member for awhile and am thoroughly pleased and would highly recommend it.

Myk Rian
05-12-2013, 10:43 AM
By education, he's a chemist, and has turned that into wood-working.
He does know what he's talking about, but I don't spend money to learn it.

Matthew Hills
05-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Does anyone have an opinion on the site known as "The Wood Whisperer?" Membership rates look expensive. Is spending that much worth it?

He has a lot of episodes from his original, free podcast, and he still produces some of that.
The memberships were originally a year-long subscription in which you got whatever projects he squeezed in. He's since switched to a pay-per-project model.

I'd recommend watching his earlier free content and deciding for yourself if you find his instruction helpful and what the value is to you.
His production quality has improved from the earliest episodes (which were already pretty decent, IMO) -- adding HD video and sketchup models.

Matt

Mark Carlson
05-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I watch all his free content and join when hes doing a build I'm interested in. His videos are excellent.

glenn bradley
05-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Interesting, I never noticed the membership thing. Different people approach the craft different ways. If you are one to follow commercial plans as opposed to drawing up your own I could certainly see some value to membership. Having the plans and videos to watch someone working from the same plans could be very helpful. As to the level of commitment versus what you get for your money, that would have to be decided by you. Do you want access to all the plans? Do you want to be able to email Marc personally? That sort of thing.

Justin Chen
05-12-2013, 1:08 PM
I really enjoy his content and his teaching style. Was perfect for a beginning looking to learn.

Matt Meiser
05-12-2013, 2:54 PM
I like the format of the old free content--here's highlights of a project and some tips on the trickier or unique parts. The full builds are too tedious for me. I'd pay for old style content but not new.

I like his approach to the videos and they are really well done.

Steve Rost
05-12-2013, 8:36 PM
I agree you should watch the old free content first. His presentation is good and his knowledge is good also. I wouldn't pay for it. I have seen only one video that I have used. His video on setup of a jointer worked for me. I thought I could set up a jointer but following his method I raised my game to another level. So, what is that, one out of a hundred?

Alan Schaffter
05-12-2013, 10:17 PM
He appears to know what he is doing, but frankly I never understood his following- probably because he is young, Gen X/Gen Y and I'm not, and of course there is that soul patch thing- I don't get those either. I also think he is (or was) very derivative, essentially repeating in his internet videos (or is that podcasts??) what other, much more talented woodworkers and cabinet makers, have done and documented for years in magazines, books, VHS tapes, and DVDs. For instance, his video about making a torsion box table copied David Marks who he credited (and did a short apprenticeship with), but he used the same overly time consuming method to cut the interior web pieces rather better, quicker and more precise method.

He is trying to make a living from woodworking/woodworking education, which is hard to do today. It is at least hard to make a decent living, until you have achieved a certain level of fame. Most nationally known woodworkers also design tools and accessories, write books, shoot videos, give lectures, and teach at their own or other WW schools to supplement their income. I will say he is better than most of the wannabe woodworking videographers and bloggers that are proliferating the web. Many of them primarily like to hear/see themselves talk, and like that Stumpy guy who hangs at Lumber Jocks, think they are the latest comedic incarnation of Norm Abram.

Jim O'Dell
05-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Marc is a pretty interesting guy. I've visited his site many times, but I too never saw the membership part. He is a David Marks protege of sorts. Has his own take on things though. Marc used to be a member here. I'm sure he is too busy with his business, forum and videos to take part here any more though. Jim.

Peter Aeschliman
05-12-2013, 11:19 PM
He's a really nice guy (I emailed with him way back when I think he was getting his start), he's entrepreneurial, and he's doing what many of us wish we could be doing. I paid for the Roubo build and I thought it was worth the price I paid. Criticize him all you like, but the proof is in the pudding- he's making a living doing what most of us dream about while reading these forums, sitting in cubicles and staring at meaningless spreadsheets and emails.

To the OP, Marc has tons of videos on his site for free. Watch them and make the decision for yourself. Members of this forum can tell you their opinions, but it just comes down to whether you like what he has to offer. Only way to know is to consume the content he's made available and form your own opinions.

scott spencer
05-13-2013, 5:12 AM
I like it. Marc's excellent, and has some great wwing insights. Nice site IMO.

Harold Burrell
05-13-2013, 7:32 AM
To the OP, Marc has tons of videos on his site for free. Watch them and make the decision for yourself. Members of this forum can tell you their opinions, but it just comes down to whether you like what he has to offer. Only way to know is to consume the content he's made available and form your own opinions.

I really don't know if it could be said any better...

Harley Reasons
05-13-2013, 8:08 AM
I like a lot of what Marc does, I've built a version of the torsion box table and use it everyday. I met Marc in person at the Atlanta Woodworking show a few years ago and got to talk with him at length. Very personable and IMHO knowledgeable about the woodworking subject matter. I've looked at some of his paid builds but haven't tried any of the sing alongs. FWIW, that same year Norm Abrams was at the show and since I knew he was going to be there, I took along his book and got it autographed. Who knows, could be worth a fortune one of these years. :D

John Piwaron
05-13-2013, 8:16 AM
Cool.

So the point is that a paid membership gets you a plan and the hand holding to build it. An excellent way for beginners to learn. That really is awesome. Plus the option to buy individual plans and hand holding if something in particular "hits the spot." That's pretty flexible on his part.

Plus, the free part of the site has plenty of interesting things for everyone, member or not.

I was just wondering. I don't think I'm at the beginner stage any more. :) so plans with attendant hand holding aren't particularly interesting. FWIW, I don't say "hand holding" to mean a bad thing, it's just that sometimes, at some point, getting specific how to do it advise is both necessary and a good thing. I just don't need too much of that at the moment.

Bud hill
05-13-2013, 11:06 AM
I am a member of the Wood Whisper for the last couple years. As a newbie I was looking for instruction on all things wood working. I've went to a couple wood working schools for one week classes. That is expensive. I've found that the Wood Whispers videos are just as good for a lot less money. I go back and refer to them a lot when I have a problem. I've only built a couple of the builds but that really doesn't mater it's the basic principles that he explains that I use the most. Also his videos are technically very well made. Some of the others I've seen are not so good.

Jim German
05-13-2013, 12:19 PM
I like the videos that are free, however there really isn't a whole bunch of content there. It also seems like the recent videos are basicly ads, either for the 'Guild' membership, or for products from his sponsers.
I'd consider the membership, but its ridiculously expensive in my opinion.

Alan Schaffter
05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Fee-based Online WW clubs/forums and online magazine subscriptions have had a tough road- many folks don't want to pay for what is free on other sites and many would still rather have paper in hand. One reason I will never sign up for FWW online.

Frank Trinkle
05-13-2013, 2:32 PM
I have watched many of Marc's free videos. The Jointer tuning was one of the best. I have contemplated buying the workbench plans alone, but really didn't feel I'd get my money's worth by subscribing to the "Guild".

I have YouTube subscriptions to a few other woodworkers who, while not in the same league as Marc, have great videos and some great self-deprecating humor as well. Watching all of them, including the WW gives me a well rounded view of the field, and some fun besides.

Included in my YouTube selections:
Woodworking for Mere Mortals - Steve Ramsey. (really fun, and some neato projects that are very easy... especially magic tricks) He also produced "Mere Minutes"... FUN!
Peter Parfitt - The "Brit". Lots of great info, and reviews of products. Not so many actual projects but his info is great.
HalfInchShy - A lot of really good tool and technique info. I am especially interested in copying his SawStop Saw modifications
This Woodwork - Alex Harris, a teenager with a lot of talent. Never negate the fact that you can learn from the young! He's got a hell of a future in front of him!

All together, along with random videos, I don't need the paid subscriptions...at least for now. Never say never!

Curtis Myers
05-13-2013, 8:01 PM
I never used the paid content. I learn something new every time I watch one of his podcasts. I really like his style.

Michael Dunn
05-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Marc is absolutely awesome. I've emailed him several dozen times and I always get a response no matter how irritating I can be with all my questions. He even shipped me a free DVD after I shipped him a hardware package for a 3 in 1 crib he planned on building. I was unable to get to it myself so I have it to him. Sadly, he too, was also unable to find the time.

I've learned a TON from his site. I find his videos enlightening and humorous. Cheesy at times, but humorous.

Three thumbs up for Spags.

eugene thomas
05-14-2013, 10:50 AM
He has some good info but nothing that if look in you tube, here or in multipal of other places cant find answer. And not coast big $$$$ to get the info.

Jim Rimmer
05-14-2013, 1:53 PM
He has hundreds of free videos that are very good. I haven't joined the Guild and probably won't. The free stuff has slowed down since he recently moved and his wife had a baby.

Jeff Monson
05-14-2013, 2:25 PM
I applaud Marc for being able to make a living at something that he enjoys. I have not subscribed to his guild, but I have looked through the photo galleries and watched a couple of video's. Good for him is all I can say.

Chris Fournier
05-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Not to be a Net Nelly but buy the right books, say $1500 worth and you'd never need to confer with the web ever again. The net is not spitting out new information. I does provide information in a "new" format but don't forget that the old timers amongst us read books and got through it just fine. Shucks, some folks just learned by trial and error! A book is on your shelf, at your finger tips, lays open for reference on your bench and will be there forever. A book is also produced in a way that cost money and meant that the content was scrutinized before investing that money in it's production. Web material - not so much. Use both and you're driving.

Ask George Wilson about the Net and how it helped him hone his skills.

Jeff Monson
05-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Not to be a Net Nelly but buy the right books,

Wouldn't say your are being a "net nelly" at all Chris, 90% of what I have learned has come from books. I agree there is nothing mind shattering on the web, just rehashing out information in a new format. You have to admit, it is nice to see different techniques in action, rather that just a picture?

Peter Aeschliman
05-15-2013, 5:33 PM
Seeing somebody actually go through the motion of doing something, especially hand tool work, is a much more effective medium for education. But things like how to tune up your machines, how to build a bandsaw fence, which finishes to use for what, etc can all be handled in books.

And of course, the best method of learning is to do it yourself. But videos do have advantages over books in some cases.

Vince Shriver
05-15-2013, 9:09 PM
It's hard not to like Marc - I've never tried, so I really don't know how hard it would be. I agree with you, Peter; watching how something is done is much better than reading about it. His pod casts are most informative.

Alan Schwabacher
05-15-2013, 10:34 PM
I don't think it's fair to criticize Marc for presenting material that's not new: he's not pretending to teach something that nobody else knows how to do. There are plenty of good books and other sources of info, but the clear and detailed video presentation is an approach that some prefer. Marc has posted so much free content on his website that anyone considering paying can know exactly what they are getting. He does a good job of presenting things clearly and filming his presentation well.

Art Mulder
05-15-2013, 10:37 PM
... and like that Stumpy guy ...

Whew, at least I'm not the only one. I've tried to watch his stuff, but I just don't get the humour.
Too bad, the projects look pretty well done.

Bobby O'Neal
05-15-2013, 10:54 PM
I think he does great stuff. Bottom line, he has a desire to build and spread the craft and teach others and does it at an extremely high level of quality. I am very thankful for what he does.

John Rovnan
05-16-2013, 7:05 AM
I watch all the free content. The projects/guild is a little expensive but he has a new pricing model I believe that is per project. Marc is knowledgeable and presents the material in an interesting way. Every person who does instructional material is going to cover the basics, everything is built upon them.

He should be commended. When I found him, it was like, oh cool, a younger guy who likes comics and is into woodworking! Same with Tommy Mac. Anything that draws new people in is good to me.