PDA

View Full Version : Another saw found me...

Chris Griggs
05-11-2013, 5:49 PM
The wife and I just headed out to the in-laws to spend tonight and tomorrow with her folks for mothers day. Stopped at a local flower shop to get a bouquet and I saw this old boy hanging on the wall. At first glance, I thought it an old beater just there for decoration, but walked over and gave it a look over to find it to be a wonderfully clean and stiff 22" 10ppi Disston (d-23???). Even better, not just decoration, it had a $15 price tag on it. So I pulled it off the wall and got it rung up....had to laugh when I overheard one of the flower arrangers say "hey, someone finally bought that saw off the wall. "

Anyway, the handle has a not so great repair and the blade has bit of a bend at the tip (both of which I can, but may or may not fix), but all in all it should turn in to a great user. It will make a nice xcut finisher, but I already have a 20" atkins I use for finish xcuts so this might become a rip finisher/thinner material saw. Anyway, should be nice to have around. Just goes to show you, it pays to remember mothers day....nothin super fancy not bad for $15

262099 262097 262098

Archie England
05-11-2013, 9:01 PM
congtrats, Chris. The solid wood handle suggests earlier but the nickel (or whatever) saw nuts suggest perhaps closer to a WW2 era. Without more blade shown, a "blind" guess would be anyone of the lightweight D-20-23s of that era. Nice grab.

Enjoy. BTW, you could file it rip to compliment your other crosscut.

Archie

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-11-2013, 10:17 PM
looks kind of a like one of the later "Victory" series saws, maybe?

Chris Griggs
05-12-2013, 9:43 AM
Yeah it's definitely a later-ish saw. Certainly nothing fancy...just a good ole user. The etch is still there but a bit hard to make out at present. Should become more visible with bit of polishing which may enlighten me to the specific model.

Chris Griggs
05-12-2013, 9:46 AM
Couple more pics...

Chris Griggs
05-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Okay, I just tried the cleaning thing with foil. I don't have any polish at the moment but rubbing the foil around on it was enough to clear the oxidation off the etch. Yep it says "D-23 lightweight"