PDA

View Full Version : Finally, some shop time.

Doug Herzberg
05-11-2013, 5:00 PM
It's been a busy winter for everything but turning. The Iowa blue pine I got in December is starting to check, so I've been madly roughing blanks to try to save it. I found one I roughed around Christmas and decided to turn it to finish so I could have a little fun. We'll be going back to see my mom in a few days, so I think I'll gift this one to the neighbor who told me about this wood.

About 9-1/2" x 3-1/2" French polish, buffed with carnauba wax. Sorry about the photos; guess that new camera ain't so great. C&C welcome.

Allan Ferguson
05-11-2013, 5:57 PM
Very colorful bowls. Like the shape.

jwjerry w kowalski
05-11-2013, 6:09 PM
Doug, that's some stunning looking wood and by turning it thin, it is very elegant looking.

Harry Robinette
05-11-2013, 8:28 PM
Doug
I'd say you used your little bit of shop time very well. Really like the shape and the wood is beautiful.

Roger Chandler
05-11-2013, 9:10 PM
Glad to hear you are making shavings, Doug. Nice bowl!

Curt Fuller
05-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Doug, glad to hear you're getting a little shop time. I always enjoy seeing what you make. Not many people turn pine and I personally kind of like the stuff. This is a beautiful example of the nice colors and grain that can be found in pine. Very nice bowl! Thanks for posting it.

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Doug glad to see ya got some turning time. That wood is beautiful as is the bowl.

Kathy Marshall
05-12-2013, 2:40 AM
Great looking bowl Doug! Nice form and pretty wood.

Doug Herzberg
05-12-2013, 9:44 AM
Thanks, everyone for the comments.

David C. Roseman
05-12-2013, 5:20 PM
Beautiful, Doug! Hadn't heard of Blue Pine. It really does have a blue cast in the pics, and great figure. Here in No. VA we mostly see Eastern White Pine, which is, well, white.

David

Baxter Smith
05-12-2013, 10:54 PM
You have made some very nice things from that pine Doug. This is another one of them!

Doug Herzberg
05-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Beautiful, Doug! Hadn't heard of Blue Pine. It really does have a blue cast in the pics, and great figure.

David

David, the blue is a stain caused by a fungus that accompanies the Mountain Pine Beetle or IPS Beetle. I don't know if the beetles have migrated to Iowa or if this is a different critter, but the result was the same - dead tree. You don't want blue pine if you can avoid it. If you want some of the wood, send me a PM. If I don't have anything good left, I'm sure I'll come across some again.

David C. Roseman
05-13-2013, 10:09 AM
David, the blue is a stain caused by a fungus that accompanies the Mountain Pine Beetle or IPS Beetle. I don't know if the beetles have migrated to Iowa or if this is a different critter, but the result was the same - dead tree. You don't want blue pine if you can avoid it. If you want some of the wood, send me a PM. If I don't have anything good left, I'm sure I'll come across some again.

Thanks, Doug, very generous of you to offer. Out of curiosity, I did some reading on invasive bark beetles in the U.S. There are evidently several species favoring pine trees that are a growing problem in different parts of the country. Especially the Mountain Pine Beetle and IPS Beetle in the west. Found this link where an enterprising vendor is marketing some nice looking Blue Pine as sustainable wood. http://www.sustainablebusinessoregon.com/articles/2012/06/sustainable-northwest-wood-debuts.html

I know there are pine bark beetles that like Eastern White Pine. I personally haven't heard of the affected wood being especially good for turning, but I don't see why it wouldn't produce some interesting figure.

David

Eric Gourieux
05-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Doug, these are great. The color and grain are beautiful. You did a particularly good job on the inside of the bowls where we often get the notorious tear-out. Forms are great.