PDA

View Full Version : 13" Ridgid Planer Cutterhead jammed

Jon Ruud
05-11-2013, 2:15 PM
Mod. 4330 Planer, running smoothly while planing 1/16 deep on 8" wide,clean, KD poplar. Head jammed. Any advice on where to start the diagnostic process. Could it be the feed roller transmission? I don't want to be tearing into this blind.

Roger Pozzi
05-12-2013, 9:39 AM
First thing; check the dust hood to be sure it hasn't loosened. The hood holds a cutterhead lock button down when installed. It is on the left side (standing behind it), just in front of the dust hood screw.

Jon Ruud
05-12-2013, 4:35 PM
Thanks for replying, it's not the cutterhead lock. The cutterhead will rotate with great difficulty. Motor still good, but momentary start results in squealing at cutterhead drive belt. I'll start tearing it down today.

Ron Lindner
05-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Let us know what you find, mine could be next

Todd Hyman
05-13-2013, 1:31 PM
Yes inquiry minds want to know! :eek:

Jon Ruud
05-13-2013, 2:29 PM
The cutterhead shaft bearing on the drive pulley side failed, sucking the inside grease seal. The seal became completely 'involved', jamming the head. I've never seen this type of failure, but a Jag mechanic said that this is not that unusual in catestrophic failure. I'll pull the bearing today, wish me luck.

Jon Ruud
05-13-2013, 10:42 PM
OK, the bearings are replaced and the machine is back to running well. My bearing person suggested that I replace the bearings with 'dust proof' ie rubber sealed bearings. He claimed that fine dust mixed with the grease which comprimised lubrication = heat = grease breakdown. The pair of bearings cost $15.00 in Tucson. If anyone wants the bearing R&R sequence, let me know, I'll write it up here.