PDA

View Full Version : A Carbon Fiber Roadster

James Combs
05-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes I know it sounds like a waste of carbon fiber but this is another prototype trying out a new method(to me) of casting braid. This one came out so well I wish I had used a higher end pen for it. It will also be a carry and show-off pen since I didn't pay a lot of attention to the turning detail, looks like I overturned the finial end quite a bit. I was using an old set of worn BTC bushings without measuring. I will be detailing the casting method later in the casting forum over on the IAP, got a couple little issues to tweak first.

A gun metal Apprentice Roadster Cast in Alumilite Clear, polished to 12000mm and finished with a lite coat of RenWax.
262070 (http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachments/f13/94585d1368224286-carbon-fiber-roadster-img_6531_0_2_detail.jpg)

C&C Welcomed.

Jim Burr
05-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Glad you upgraded the kit JD...you work deserves it!

Jamie Donaldson
05-13-2013, 7:41 PM
Yes I know it sounds like a waste of carbon fiber but this is another prototype trying out a new method(to me) of casting braid. This one came out so well I wish I had used a higher end pen for it. It will also be a carry and show-off pen since I didn't pay a lot of attention to the turning detail, looks like I overturned the finial end quite a bit. I was using an old set of worn BTC bushings without measuring. I will be detailing the casting method later in the casting forum over on the IAP, got a couple little issues to tweak first.

A gun metal Apprentice Roadster Cast in Alumilite Clear, polished to 12000mm and finished with a lite coat of RenWax.
262070 (http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachments/f13/94585d1368224286-carbon-fiber-roadster-img_6531_0_2_detail.jpg)

C&C Welcomed.
The carbon fiber looks great JD, but I'm trying to figure out what happened to the photo? The center is sharply rendered, while the top and bottom of the pen appear to have either camera or subject motion? Makes no sense that part of the image is still while outer areas are moving, unless you were zooming during the exposure?

James Combs
05-13-2013, 8:28 PM
The carbon fiber looks great JD, but I'm trying to figure out what happened to the photo? The center is sharply rendered, while the top and bottom of the pen appear to have either camera or subject motion? Makes no sense that part of the image is still while outer areas are moving, unless you were zooming during the exposure?
Hi Jamie, I was thinking it looked a little out of focus myself. No, there is no intended motion in the photo. Here is another one I took at the same time and it doesn't exhibit the blur although it is a little blue where I forgot to turn off the shop lights. I am thinking that something happened in the HDR processing of the original 3 images during the alignment process. Instead of aligning the 3 images it misaligned slightly in the vertical. If you look closely at the top of the original posted photo there appears to be a ghost of another finial above the clearest one. This is not the first time I have seen it happen.

BTW I appreciate the observation. Sometimes when I am working with prototype processes I tend ignore photo quality.:D

Jamie Donaldson
05-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Aahh-haaa JD, the HDR did the dirty deed! What software are you using?

James Combs
05-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Aahh-haaa JD, the HDR did the dirty deed! What software are you using?
Corel PaintShop Pro X4, HDR is new to this version, may have a bug or two I'm guessing.

Dennis Nagle
05-14-2013, 1:10 PM
I really like that look. Good job!

Dale Coons
05-14-2013, 1:24 PM
could also happen with a small fstop (very shallow depth of field) or macro mode and the pen at an angle--the bottom of the pen is too close to the lens to be in focus, the top too far away, while the center is just right.

Jamie Donaldson
05-14-2013, 3:53 PM
A lack of depth of field would not cause the image to have ghost portions at the top and bottom like this example. DOF drop-out causes a progressive softening of the image planes.