PDA

View Full Version : With Enough Rope...

James Combs
05-10-2013, 6:02 PM
... and a little resin, you can make a nice looking pen.:D

CSUSA Artisan Slimline dressed in a very patriotic nylon rope. This is the first Artisan SL I have made. They come with a logoed(Dayacom German w/carbide tip) refill that writes several cuts above the typical kit refill.

Cast in Alumilite Clear, polished to 12000mm, Finished with a coat of Renaissance wax.
262050 262051

C&C welcomed.

Allan Ferguson
05-10-2013, 6:23 PM
I like the pen. Definitely different. Allan

Roger Chandler
05-10-2013, 8:34 PM
That is nice, JD!

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2013, 9:56 PM
That is just cool.

John Beaver
05-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Really clever and cool.

Dennis Nagle
05-11-2013, 12:57 AM
I've been sailing since I was 10 years old. This pen REALLY appeals to me. Can you explain the process you used? Very cool looking pen.

Jim Burr
05-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Ha!! Is there anything you can't cast JD? You should sell those blanks to Ed and Dawn!!

Josh Bowman
05-11-2013, 11:28 AM
JD, you have this casting stuff down! That is a nice pen and with so many different types and colors of rope, opens up lots of avenues Also I like the carbon fiber one.

Lee Koepke
05-11-2013, 11:38 AM
well, thats just too cool.
I guess its true, there is virtually nothing that can't be turned! Very cool

Kyle Hayes
05-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Thats a good looking pen

Keith Outten
05-11-2013, 8:08 PM
James,

Once again you have impressed everyone here, thanks.

James Combs
05-11-2013, 8:17 PM
I like the pen. Definitely different. Allan
Thanks Allan, I appreciate the comments.

That is nice, JD!

That is just cool.

Really clever and cool.
Thanks Roger/Bernie/John, appreciate you guys looking and your comments.

I've been sailing since I was 10 years old. This pen REALLY appeals to me. Can you explain the process you used? Very cool looking pen.
Hi Dennis, thanks for looking. I am planning on putting together a sort of tutorial on the way I do it, just got a couple more issues to iron out. I will post it in the author's forum and PM you when it's ready. Meanwhile you might want to visit the IAP's library, there is a wealth of info there on casting and pen making.

Ha!! Is there anything you can't cast JD? You should sell those blanks to Ed and Dawn!!
Thanks Jim, Ed and Dawns blanks are a definite inspiration to me. As I noted above I have a few issues with the process. This material was from a bundle of 1/4"x100' rope I picked up at Lowe's. First off I don't need to buy 100ft bundles, I found some on line by the foot and ordered 5' of several different colors in 3/8" OD, secondly I found that the 1/4"OD is a bit small even for 7mm tubes. I have a couple more also but I know what to do about them. I will post the results later.

JD, you have this casting stuff down! That is a nice pen and with so many different types and colors of rope, opens up lots of avenues Also I like the carbon fiber one.
Thanks Josh, the carbon fiber is nice but fairly expensive. One of the colors I mentioned picking up above is black, I am going cast a couple blanks using it and see how well it resembles carbon fiber. If it works I might have some faux CF to sell at savings over CF.

well, thats just too cool.
I guess its true, there is virtually nothing that can't be turned! Very cool
Thanks Lee, ;).

Thats a good looking pen
Thanks Kyle.

Kathy Marshall
05-12-2013, 2:49 AM
Very cool looking pen JD!

Russell Eaton
05-12-2013, 9:22 AM
Turning rope...who would have thunk it. :-) I did try to soak a sponge in thin CA glue and turn it...NOT my best idea. The pen looks sweet! Way to think outside the box.

Lee Koepke
05-12-2013, 9:26 AM
Turning rope...who would have thunk it. :-) I did try to soak a sponge in thin CA glue and turn it...NOT my best idea. The pen looks sweet! Way to think outside the box.

I have taken 1" squares of blue-jeans soaked them in CA. Painstaking process, but really cool result.

Grant Wilkinson
05-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Great looking pen. If you haven't already tried it, you can do similar blanks using ordinary plumbing flex stainless steel lines.

James Combs
05-12-2013, 1:46 PM
Great looking pen. If you haven't already tried it, you can do similar blanks using ordinary plumbing flex stainless steel lines.
Thanks Grant, yes I have tried the stainless steel braid (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?195341-It-Didn-t-Include-the-Kitchen-Sink-But-Close&highlight=), it definitively looks classy but is very hard to work with. However, copper braid (on a slimline) (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?196422-An-Abundance-of-Copper&highlight=), is OK to work with and plastic braid as above is even easier, one of the reasons I have moved in that direction. I can make some really nice slimlines with the plastic braid and save the metals and expensive carbon fiber for high end pens.

James Combs
05-12-2013, 1:55 PM
Very cool looking pen JD!
Thanks Kathy, appreciate you looking and the coment.

Thanks Russel for the comments. I recently cast a kitchen sponge (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?200115-Very-Spongy&highlight=) and a "Body Loofah" (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201691-A-Loofah-Casting&highlight=) in resin and they turned out decent. I could see doing it with CA as a rather long and inconsistent process, got any pics of the result?

I have taken 1" squares of blue-jeans soaked them in CA. Painstaking process, but really cool result.
Thanks Lee, your post reminded me that I have a couple old pairs of jeans in the shop just for that purpose but had forgotten about them. I will be adding them to my current to-do list.:)

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Leo,
I've never turned a pen and I suppose I don't have as much appreciation for well designed pens as I should. However, I have to tell you how I enjoy your imagination and skill shown in your pens. This is another unique beauty.
faust

Chip Sutherland
05-13-2013, 5:58 PM
I'm not much of a pen person but really, really like this pen. Nice job.

Russell Eaton
05-13-2013, 6:43 PM
James, I have no pictures, but it was not anything special. I used up 3-4 oz's of thin CA glue. No big loss, it was cool to see it smile while it cured. :-)

Tim Rinehart
05-14-2013, 4:59 PM
Really nice work. Just when I think someone has explored most of the materials one could expect something to be made from...I'm surprised again! Sharp looking pen!