PDA

View Full Version : double sided adhesive circles

Martin Boekers
05-10-2013, 5:22 PM
I am looking for some double sided adhesive to make doing the coins a bit easier. I'd say less than 1.5" and no smaller than .75" diameter.

The thinner the better!

Lee DeRaud
05-10-2013, 6:00 PM
Johnson Plastics has PSA sheets, http://www.johnsonplastics.biz/detail/M37/1/1/SHT330 (roughly the same as 3M 467) ...cut your own, to whatever size you really want.

Joe Pelonio
05-10-2013, 10:50 PM
I always keep rolls of 6" and 12" 3M 467-MP on hand for sticking on the back of acrylic and Rowmark before cutting to mount letters/signs. For your situation, I apply it to left over backing that I save from plotter vinyl, to stiffen and protect the adhesive side, then laser
cut to exact size.

Chuck Stone
05-11-2013, 9:47 AM
Can you get some SpeedTape locally?
It's double sided, pretty thin. Roll a strip
out onto wax paper and cut your circles
on the laser?

Isaac Clarke
05-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Polydots are what you need :)

Martin Boekers
05-11-2013, 3:22 PM
Thanks all for the ideas, I am trying to make this simple and quick as possible.

I have some double sided tape that I am cutting small squares from, but this takes a bit of time.

I am using this to adhere the sublimated discs to the coin blanks I posted about. JDS sells 1.75"
(for 2 in discs. I have contacted them about doing smaller runs now that they have a product that needs it.
That may take time though. In the mean time I will order some of the sheets Lee recommended and cut
them on a plotter. This will save quite a bit of time!

Not sure if Poly Dots and glue dots are the same, but I will check into that too!

Scott Shepherd
05-11-2013, 5:24 PM
[QUOTE=Martin Boekers;2108119] In the mean time I will order some of the sheets Lee recommended and cut

/QUOTE]

Cut them on your laser, not the plotter. Works fantastic. We go through 20-30 sheets a month of that SHT-330. Love it.

Martin Boekers
05-11-2013, 5:36 PM
[QUOTE=Martin Boekers;2108119] In the mean time I will order some of the sheets Lee recommended and cut

/QUOTE]

Cut them on your laser, not the plotter. Works fantastic. We go through 20-30 sheets a month of that SHT-330. Love it.

What are your settings?

Michael Hunter
05-11-2013, 6:31 PM
For a similar tape I use S 19%, P 4% F 2500.

This is to cut the tape sandwiched between two layers of backing paper
Low power because I cut intricate shapes - for simple circles it could probably be rather faster with a bit more power.

To kiss-cut the tape only it would be P 2% and probably a bit higher speed.

Lee DeRaud
05-11-2013, 6:35 PM
What are your settings?(scratches head) You'd think I'd know that. :cool: I recommended it because, unlike some other similar adhesives, it has a liner sheet on both sides, making it a bit easier to handle. But it dawned on me when you asked that question that I've never cut it by itself, I apply it to a substrate and then cut everything at once: the settings for the substrate alone always work. I'd start with the settings you'd use for card stock or even paper.

Scott Shepherd
05-11-2013, 7:13 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Shepherd;2108147]

What are your settings?

I'm afraid my trotec settings won't do you much good. It cuts like posterboard you buy from the drug store for kids projects. Low power and fast speed works just fine. I can't tell you the number of things I've used that stuff for. Some times I apply it to the sheet first, other projects, I put it on the honeycomb table and cut it into shapes. Try it, you'll like it. Plus you only have to buy 1 sheet for $4 or whatever it costs now. Add a sheet or two to your next order. It's one of the only items I remember the part number for.

Martin Boekers
05-14-2013, 3:11 PM
Thanks for the idea, this works great! I get about 250 to a sheet so that's good for 125 coins!
I already can see more uses for this. :D