PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak Baby Crib

Wade Holloway
05-10-2013, 2:45 PM
Here are a few pictures of a crib that I finished a couple of months ago for my new Granddaughter. It is a convertible and will change into a toddler bed when she gets big enough for it and then later it will change into a full size bed, so it will change as she grows. I also made a changing table to match the bed that can be used as a book shelf later. Ofcourse I signed it but I also engraved a little prayer for her on the back of the Head Board. All the would was rough cut when I bought it and I planned it all down as needed. It is finished with a coat of Dark Walnut Danish Oil and then a couple of coats of Natural Danish Oil. I left off any varnish and used a hard burnish technique with the Natural Danish Oil. This way it should be easy to touch up if or when it needs it. I am currently now working on a Cradle and Changing Table for my first Great Grandchild that is due later this month. Thanks for looking. :)

Prashun Patel
05-10-2013, 3:55 PM
Really pretty. Congratulations on this and the two new additions to your family. Hope I can make stuff like this when I'm a ggf.

Bob Vavricka
05-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Wade, looks great. Did you put in all the slats before you finished it? That's what I did on the first one I built, but it made it tough to finish (waterborne lacquer). So on the next two I finished the slats before installing them. Using Danish oil was probably a good move. I have some touch up to do on one to fix some tooth marks--didn't get the gummi rail protectors on soon enough. Thanks for posting.

Wade Holloway
05-11-2013, 9:58 AM
Thanks Bob, yes I put the first coat of Danish Oil on the slats before I installed them, only the small spacers are glued in. Did not figure I would get to much movement with the small spacers.

Prashun thanks, as far as the great granddad stuff goes I told my son that I was going change our relationship and make him my younger brother because I was way to young to be a great granddad. :)

Joseph Montroy
06-04-2013, 2:46 PM
Wow, nice work on the crib! Where did you get the plans? I'd love to get my hands on them...
JC

Wade Holloway
06-04-2013, 3:00 PM
Thanks Joseph, if you do a search for "3 in 1 Convertible Crip" google should take you right to it. I think the full set of downloadable plans was only about 12 bucks. Good luck with your build I really enjoyed mine.

Joseph Montroy
06-04-2013, 4:17 PM
http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/B00286QYG8
Was this it? The headboard is different. Did it have different options, or did you just modify it to fit your taste? Thanks,
JC

Wade Holloway
06-04-2013, 4:59 PM
Yes that is it. Most of the time I will modify the plans to either fit my needs or my likes. In this case I did not want plywood on the bed at all, for some reason when you say plywood it just brings up "cheap" in my mine. So I just changed a few things where I did not need to use it. I also changed the design a little bit to make it look a little different. But overall it is done just like the plans say to do it. If you follow the instructions you will be fine. Good luck with your build.

Joseph Montroy
06-04-2013, 7:41 PM
It's funny that you mention the switch away from plywood, since I was just wondering how those plans were used for your solid wood crib! I agree 100% that in my mind plywood reminds me of inferior quality. Any tricks that you used when making the legs and short sides out of solid wood? I think I'm going to use a combination of quartersawn and plainsawn white oak for my build (which, unfortunately will have to wait until I finish my window sills and trim). Thanks,
JC

Wade Holloway
06-05-2013, 10:49 AM
That bed in White Oak will be beautiful. As far as the legs go they are pretty much straight forward, it is just a 3 board glue up to make the legs. Just follow the plans on the legs and you will be just fine. The only thing that I remember being the least bit tricky was marking and drilling out all the holes for the different set ups. It is pretty important that you get them right and you will have to hunt for all the exact measurements on them.

jim sauterer
06-05-2013, 1:07 PM
great job wade i built the same bed for my first granddaughter last august.looks great.

Gordon Eyre
06-05-2013, 2:53 PM
Very nice build Wade.