PDA

View Full Version : Air Cleaner purchase, second thoughts and questions

Tim Morton
05-16-2005, 12:30 PM
I recently placed an order for the Penn State AC100o 3 speed remote controlled air cleaner and it was on sale for $259 plus $25 shipping. The I started reading and thought maybe this isn't a good purchase, but i figure it can't hurt and my goal is keeping dust out of the main part of the house. Abyway searching out more advice i came across a new one from Grizzly. Model is GO572 and it jhas the exact specs as the Penn State and with a cost of only $179 and shipping is $13. So the savings would be enough to have me call PS and cancel my order...does anyone own the grizzly, or have any air cleaner opnions?

John Branam
05-16-2005, 12:35 PM
I built my own air cleaner for my small basement shop. I used a 20" box fan and a furnace filter rated at .3 micron, with a simple frame to set them in cost me $20 and works real well. I am not sure if this is an option for you or not my shop is small and this set up does work really well for me but I am not sure if it would be as effective in a lrger shop.

Tim Morton
05-16-2005, 12:39 PM
I built my own air cleaner for my small basement shop. I used a 20" box fan and a furnace filter rated at .3 micron, with a simple frame to set them in cost me $20 and works real well. I am not sure if this is an option for you or not my shop is small and this set up does work really well for me but I am not sure if it would be as effective in a lrger shop.

Any option is possible for me, its a small basement shop about 20x25 and right now I am using a large heavy duty fan on the ground pointing up and blowing out the buik head opening.:D

Matt Meiser
05-16-2005, 12:39 PM
I have an older model Delta with single speed that I got for something like $100 on clearance at Lowes. Works great. If I hadn't found that deal, I probably would have made one from a furnace blower which you can usually find for cheap or free. Besides the remote, timers, etc, all these things are are boxes with a fan inside that draws air through a set of filters. Personally, I'd look hard into making one before buying. You can get filters from Grainger and probably a host of more reasonable places. For control, I'd wire it to come on with my shop lights.

As others will probably respond, these things don't help with the health aspect, but I do think it helps keep the shop cleaner.

Tom Saurer
05-16-2005, 1:13 PM
I have never used an air cleaner, and so I can't provide any reviews.

I have heard of one warning about them that I wanted to pass along. If the air cleaner keeps the dust suspended in the shop it will have a negative impact. The airborne dust will be then getting into your lungs.

Because of that, in my shop, I keep as many windows open as I can to blow the dust out. I also keep that area by the door into the house well swept.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-16-2005, 1:15 PM
Yep, doesn't help on the health aspect, But you know what, my shop looks cleaner and so does my house! It may have a layer of fine dust I can't see, but that's not the point.

One thing that is missing from all of these posts is that my eyes are much better with my air cleaner. It used to be while sanding (wearing a mask) that my eyes would fill up with so much dust, I would have to quit. Now with the air cleaner and vac hooked to the sander, I can sand with relative ease :) .

I like my air cleaner for what it is, keeps the shop cleaner :)

Tim Morton
05-16-2005, 1:19 PM
Yep, doesn't help on the health aspect, But you know what, my shop looks cleaner and so does my house! It may have a layer of fine dust I can't see, but that's not the point.

One thing that is missing from all of these posts is that my eyes are much better with my air cleaner. It used to be while sanding (wearing a mask) that my eyes would fill up with so much dust, I would have to quit. Now with the air cleaner and vac hooked to the sander, I can sand with relative ease :) .

I like my air cleaner for what it is, keeps the shop cleaner :)

The eye thing is what pronpted me to want one. I did alot of ripping 12" cedar this weekend down to 3.5" as well as lots of planing rough wood...and routing to ease the edges, as well as finish sanding...and while that is more than i would normally do on any given day...my eyes are still sore. I figure by the time I buy the wood and search out the filters and find the blower...plus the time I have to think that $179 is a fair price for the amazon truck to drop it on my porch...its DONE!!!

Michael Gabbay
05-16-2005, 2:12 PM
Tim - I bought the Jet AFS 10000B a couple of years ago for my basement shop (13x24) and it works great. My shop and house are cleaner. I turn it on while I'm working and set the time for 2 hours after I leave the shop. I finally got the electrostatic filter for mine. At the time you could get them for about $200. Any of the Jet,Delta, or JDS filters are fine. Now they all run around $250. They all pretty much filter down to .5 micron. I'd look at Amazon and get the free shipping.

Mike

Jeff Sudmeier
05-16-2005, 2:27 PM
Tim you have a point about the searching out. I happened to have everything I needed in my shop, so I had no searching to do. I had some plywood I scavenged from the house being built behind me (With permission). A buddy of mine works for an HVAC place and dropped off the 3 speed blower.

I guess I did have to buy the filters, but I go to the store I bought them from a lot anyway :)

Either way, just make sure that the air filter you get, uses common sized filters that you have available to you, to replace them. Mine use the standard 20x20.

Tim Morton
05-16-2005, 2:31 PM
Tim - I bought the Jet AFS 10000B a couple of years ago for my basement shop (13x24) and it works great. My shop and house are cleaner. I turn it on while I'm working and set the time for 2 hours after I leave the shop. I finally got the electrostatic filter for mine. At the time you could get them for about $200. Any of the Jet,Delta, or JDS filters are fine. Now they all run around $250. They all pretty much filter down to .5 micron. I'd look at Amazon and get the free shipping.

Mike

I bought the grizzly through amazon and it was $193 shipped. it looks exactly like the PennState AC1000 and seems to share the same motor as all the others you mention. I will add some sound dampening to the metal side plates and seal it up as best I can.

Tim Morton
05-16-2005, 4:22 PM
Email from Grizzly: back-ordered till at least July 1st:mad::mad:

Jeff Sudmeier
05-16-2005, 4:53 PM
Tim, Sorry for the let down.

I take it this is a sign. BUILD YOUR OWN :) Sorry to be so subtle about it :)

Really, I built mine in about 2 hours.

Whichever way you decide, you will be happy with an air cleaner in your shop.

Tim Morton
05-16-2005, 5:00 PM

OK..OK....I will take your advice advice and search out a blower motor. If i can find one around here I'm sure i can find some plywood to build a box.:D Leave it to me to build a bandsaw and then BUY a premade air cleaner.:cool:

Jon Baren
05-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Hello Tim,

I used this add about a month ago, even though it was from 10/4. PSI had no problem giving me the price of $189. for the AC1000. So far I really like it. When I leave my shop I set it for 2 hours and when I come back the shop if pretty much dust free. I bought it for the same reasons, dust in my eyes. I think it was worth the money I spent.

The Grizzly and PSI are the same unit.

Hope this helps.

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PSI&Category_Code=E-10186

markgoodall
05-16-2005, 11:37 PM
I built one years ago using a HVAC squirrel cage blower, but it was too large and heavy. I got a second smaller bower but before I had a chance to make a more reasonable sized air cleaner, Lowes was liquidating the original single-speed Delta air cleaners at $69, so I bought two.

They certainly collect alot of dust, and I wouldn't want a shop without them, but you still have to collect as much dust at the source with a proper DC system, and then not redistribute the dust into your shop by either having very good filters, or putting the DC outside the shop.

Happy Woodworking!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-17-2005, 8:13 AM
Tim,

No pressure to build it :) :) :) :)

If you do decide that you would like to build one. Just look up in the yellow pages for HVAC companies that seem to be smaller shops. The larger ones don't have time for you.

By calling around, I am sure you will find a place that will either give you a furnace blower or will sell you one real cheap.

Whatever you do, when you pick it up, take a 12ver of the local beer favorite along with you. Most likely the person helping you with the blower will give it away then :)

Good luck! :)

John Miliunas
05-17-2005, 8:34 AM
I built one years ago using a HVAC squirrel cage blower, but it was too large and heavy. I got a second smaller bower but before I had a chance to make a more reasonable sized air cleaner, Lowes was liquidating the original single-speed Delta air cleaners at $69, so I bought two.

They certainly collect alot of dust, and I wouldn't want a shop without them, but you still have to collect as much dust at the source with a proper DC system, and then not redistribute the dust into your shop by either having very good filters, or putting the DC outside the shop.

Happy Woodworking!

MARK????? IS THAT REALLY YOU????? Dude, haven't heard from you since Shep was a pup!!!:eek: Dang it, man! Really GREAT to see you're still around!:D Seriously, stop by and be heard more often. You have SO much to offer and I, for one, certainly miss your knowledge and GREAT sense of humor!!!:)

Oh yeah...The air cleaner. Built my own @ 3 or 4 years ago. I paid for my blower, though it was only $12.00 at a surplus store. 3-filter system, single speed, does a great job!:)

Mark, you come back now, you hear???!!!:D :cool:

Ron Kanter
05-17-2005, 1:30 PM
John,
Could you explain the 3-filter system you used.
A picture might be worth a couple hundred words.
Thanks,
Ron

"Oh yeah...The air cleaner. Built my own @ 3 or 4 years ago. I paid for my blower, though it was only $12.00 at a surplus store. 3-filter system, single speed, does a great job!:)"

Tim Morton
05-17-2005, 1:37 PM
Hello Tim,

I used this add about a month ago, even though it was from 10/4. PSI had no problem giving me the price of $189. for the AC1000. So far I really like it. When I leave my shop I set it for 2 hours and when I come back the shop if pretty much dust free. I bought it for the same reasons, dust in my eyes. I think it was worth the money I spent.

The Grizzly and PSI are the same unit.

Hope this helps.

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PSI&Category_Code=E-10186

Thanks...that helps ALOT!!! I emailes PennState and they are in fact willing to sell me the AC1000 for $189. I just have to do it online and use an ecode coupon they gave me. I think they would honor that code for anyone who wanted to place an order online ...so if anyone is seriously considering it, pm me for that code.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-17-2005, 2:28 PM
John,
Could you explain the 3-filter system you used.
A picture might be worth a couple hundred words.
Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

I used three filters as well. Basically you start out with the $0.50 filter, then a $7 filter and finally a $20 filter. The first two filters catch the largest particulate so that your most expensive filter doesn't need to be changed as often.

Here is a pic:
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albut49/100_7827.sized.jpg

Click on this link for the large version (http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albut49/100_7827.jpg).

As you can see I just have three filters separated by 3/4 inch runners. I replace the outer filter about every two weeks(blue). The next one I replace about every 6 months. The most fine one I have yet to replace.

Tim Morton
05-17-2005, 2:53 PM
Hey Jeff...I keep getting "invalid code" when trying to buy the Penn State cleaner...is that a sign???:D:D

Matt Meiser
05-17-2005, 2:57 PM
Tim, Tim, Tim. You could be done building that thing already! :D :D :D

John Miliunas
05-17-2005, 3:14 PM
Ron,

I used three filters as well. Basically you start out with the $0.50 filter, then a $7 filter and finally a $20 filter. The first two filters catch the largest particulate so that your most expensive filter doesn't need to be changed as often.

Here is a pic:
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albut49/100_7827.sized.jpg

Click on this link for the large version (http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albut49/100_7827.jpg).

As you can see I just have three filters separated by 3/4 inch runners. I replace the outer filter about every two weeks(blue). The next one I replace about every 6 months. The most fine one I have yet to replace.

Dang if that filter setup don't look familiar! :) :cool:

Tim Morton
05-17-2005, 3:18 PM
Tim, Tim, Tim. You could be done building that thing already! :D :D :D

I know I know...I even looked for a motor today. But for the record I'm building a side porch for LOML this week and the "not having to build the air cleaner" was because "I"M BUILDING A SIDE PORCH FOR LOML!!!":D:D:D

Jeff Sudmeier
05-17-2005, 3:48 PM
Hey Jeff...I keep getting "invalid code" when trying to buy the Penn State cleaner...is that a sign???:D:D
I don't know, but for me it sure would be :) If it is that much trouble to buy it...

:) :)

Either way, I hope you get an air cleaner soon! It sure is a pain when you know you want to buy something only to find out it is backordered! I had to wait a month for my DJ20 when I was told 2 weeks. Never fun!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-17-2005, 3:49 PM
Dang if that filter setup don't look familiar! :) :cool:
Hey John caught me!

In my hurry to post the pictures for you, I forgot to give him credit :)

The filter design came from looking at the filter set up in his shop :)

Tim Morton
05-17-2005, 4:15 PM
I don't know, but for me it sure would be :) If it is that much trouble to buy it...

:) :)

Either way, I hope you get an air cleaner soon! It sure is a pain when you know you want to buy something only to find out it is backordered! I had to wait a month for my DJ20 when I was told 2 weeks. Never fun!

its on order and will be here in 3-5 days, I finally got someone who would respond to my emails...if you want to get anything done at PennState try and get a hold of colleen ....sh's great. Anyway..$214 shipped to my house. Back to the porch project...thanks for all the help with this. Especially to Jon who clued me in to asking PSI to match a previous sale price, Thanks!!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-18-2005, 8:07 AM
Congrats Tim! Be sure to post pictures and a review once you get it up and running!

Good luck on the porch project, hopefully it goes better than trying to purchase this air cleaner :)

Greg Narozniak
05-18-2005, 10:06 AM

Did the same thing as Jeff. I was given a brand new ¼ hp motor and squirrel cage fan and built a case out of ½" ply and bought 16"x20" filters VIOLA.

The outer filter is a a cheaper brand from the depot (3 for 5.99 I think) then I have a Red 3m filter and then a Purple 3m and the second filter sees very little dust and the 3rd is completely clean.

Tim Morton
05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
And the 'saga" continues...or as has been mentioned "subtlely"(sp) here a few times "Here's your SIGN!!!" I recieved my AC1000 today in a pretty dirty and obvioulsy previously opened box. But I'm not all that freaky about such things normally, however opening it I find marks all over the unit and the remote is missing, AND the box of parts is opened and taped shut again.:( So, i call up PSI and tell them the story and was told by Doug I shuld call UPS and file a claim with them...I'm thinking HUH? But in my advancing age i think about what to do next. I tell "doug" that the thing to do here is obviously ship me out a new unopened unit and have UPS call tag this one and then HE can pursue it with UPS.:D Which is what they are going to do and I should have a new unit here in a couple days...to be continued. I wuld have been happy with a new remote and a few more bucks off...but when doug figured the best way to handle it would be for ME to call ups....

John Miliunas
05-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Well, bummer about the way you got the first one, but good for you in sticking to your guns on how they should handle the snafu!!!:) Pretty obvious that it was PSI's mess-up in the first place. I simply hate it when vendors blame UPS or similar for stuff which is clearly screwed up at the source, not thereafter! Good luck!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
05-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Tim,

Way to stick to your guns! I had a similar experience with Sears lately. This talk about me handling their error is a slap in the face.

Anyway glad to hear that PSI is making it right with you.

Tim Morton
05-26-2005, 8:25 AM
Well, the second one arrived yesterday and while it did seem to include all the parts, the condition was much the same as the first one, and the paint job was worse. But ya know, you can't always get what you expect in life, I called up and spoke to "doug" at PSI for a a little bit and to make a long story short, he agreed with me that the fit and finish of these products was pretty crappy, and there was not much he could do about it since PSI didn't manufacture them. That leads me to the conclusion that maybe nothing PSI sells is quality stuff,(who knows) and in the future if I buy anything from them i will know going in that the stuff is not well made. I'm seriously thinking about dismantling the unit and building a box for it because the metal is very flimsy (meaning the noise of the metal moving adds alot of noise to the unit). The foam that is designed to seal the metal frame of the internal filter is CRAP and fell off the first time i took the filter off to see what was rattling around inside the unit. So once i have enough drops to build a box i will and design it around filters that are available locally.

Now is PSI's , defense I never asked them to pick the unit up and cancel my order, if i had asked I'm sure they would have, I think they offer excellent CS, and in fact doug told me he is going to work on what he can do to make this right and get back to me...so maybe I will receive some filters in the mail who knows.

Anyway, for those reading this who are in the market for a Air Cleaner, I can't tell you what do do, but if you have the parts available locally..it would not be hard to build this unit yourself. if you decide to purchase the AC1000 from PSI, just know that you may have to work at sealing it up better and touching up the bare metal where the paint flakes off to prevent rust.

Would I buy it again? I don't honestly think so.