PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet doors - Press-in or Screw-in Hinge Mounting?

Julie Moriarty
05-10-2013, 1:15 PM
I have Blum 39C Soft Close hinges for the cabinet refacing job. The hinges came with both the plastic press-in & screws and standard wood screws. I've never use the plastic press-ins but the doors that are coming off all have them. And they held up for 26 years. But the doors are MDF core. The new doors are Honduran mahogany rails & stiles.

I had planned on just using the screws. Are the press-ins the better way to go or are they just for cored doors?

Alden Miller
05-10-2013, 2:15 PM
My preference would be to use the screws. Whenever I get the hinges with the press in fittings I just pull them off and use screws.

-Alden

Alan Bienlein
05-10-2013, 2:30 PM
Why not use the inserta hinges from blum. No tools required.

Jeff Duncan
05-10-2013, 2:34 PM
The plugs are infinitely better in mdf, its not even debatable, but even better are the Inserta's. The Inserta's can be removed and replaced quickly and easily so you can fit doors, then pop them off for finishing. For your solid wood doors I'd still go with the Inserta's or plugs, but it's not as dramatic an advantage. With just screws in hardwood you may have to re-tighten at some point down the road where you wouldn't with the plugs.

good luck,
JeffD

Julie Moriarty
05-10-2013, 5:06 PM
I already have the hinges. I've just never used press-in fittings when installing cabinet hinges. All the cabinets and doors I've built have been solid wood. The oldest is probably over ten years old, maybe closer to 15. I've never had a problem with the screws loosening. I've never seen plastic press-ins used in solid wood, but I had to ask.

Sam Murdoch
05-10-2013, 6:31 PM
Why not use the inserta hinges from blum. No tools required.

These are my favorites. No fastening needed at all and never any issues with not holding. They are especially good for setting up doors in the shop then removing them for transport to the install. A bit more money but well worth it.

Jeff Duncan
05-10-2013, 6:45 PM
Yup, I used to use the plastic plugs all the time....until they came out with the Inserta's;) If you look at pretty much any cabinet that's been made by a medium sized shop or bigger it has plugs, or these days Inserta's....they've been the standard for quite some time. Of course I have an insertion machine so it's just quick and economical to do them that way. If you haven't tried the plastic plugs before it may be easier for you to just use regular screws. Either way will get it done:)

JeffD

William C Rogers
05-11-2013, 5:15 AM
Julie

I use the plastic plug in hinges. I have the Somerfield's Easy Bore which drills all three holes. Blum has a tool to hammer in the hinges, but I just made my own out of wood. I haven't had any problem with them. IMOP they will hold better than just screwing into the wood and very quick to install. I was unaware of the Inserta and will look into them for the next cabinets I am building, but these work fine.

Bill

Michael Heffernan
05-11-2013, 6:07 AM
For MDF core doors, I would definitely use the press-in or Inserta hinges. Screws tend to fail over time. I need to replace a few screw-in hinges on my kitchen cabinet doors (MDF cores).
I use press-in or Inserta for all my cabinet builds, MDF or solid wood. Insertas are preferable as they easily go in and come out.
I have the hammer tool from Blum for press-ins. It bridges the hinge cup and has magnets to align it with the screw heads on the press-ins. Line it up and drive the plastic inserts home. You can make your own tool, but if you do a lot of hinges, the dedicated Blum tool is worth the cost. Don't try to press them in with just a block of wood. You risk deforming the hinge cup.