PDA

View Full Version : Dining table design

tom blankenship
05-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Greetings all!

I am building a dining table. The top is 66 inches X 35.25 inches X 1 inch thick. It is made of red oak, 6 boards glued along its length.

My concern: the aprons along the long dimension and separated by 57 inches. Is this distance too long for proper support of the oak top?

Thanks in advance.

tom

Steve Jenkins
05-16-2005, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=tom blankenship]Greetings all!

I am building a dining table. The top is 66 inches X 35.25 inches X 1 inch thick. It is made of red oak, 6 boards glued along its length.

My concern: the aprons along the long dimension and separated by 57 inches. Is this distance too long for proper support of the oak top?

Tom can you clarify that a bit? Are there no aprons running the length of the table?

tom blankenship
05-16-2005, 1:00 PM
Yes, there are aprons running along the length as well. These are 29.25 inches apart. The aprons are 4.25 inches wide and 1 inch thick. The legs are 29 inches tall and 3 inches per side. The top will be attached to the aprons with table buttons, inserted into mortises cut into the aprons, to allow for expansion.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks.

tom

Steve Jenkins
05-16-2005, 1:03 PM
Your support for the top will be fine. Make sure that you allow for expansion on the width of the top when you fasten it to the aprons.