PDA

View Full Version : spalted wood

Denny Davis
05-09-2013, 9:52 PM
Looking for some help on turning punky wood. Is wood hardener going to give me the results i want?
Doing a bowl and salt n pepper mills to match, first experience with this wood, but its beautiful.
Thanks in advance for any help
Denny

Bruce Pratt
05-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Life is too short to turn bad wood. Unless it is spectacular, and I mean reallllly spectacular wood, it is probably not worth the effort. Find/trade for/make some wood that is less spalted.

Jim Burr
05-09-2013, 11:27 PM
This has been just about hashed to death...Search function is your friend. Punky stuff can be stabilized, wood hardener is in worthless in this application since only 30% of the solids are deposited, and those that are, are polys. Better to have it stabilized if you want to use it.

Dan Forman
05-10-2013, 3:27 AM
Depending on how punky it is, a coat of wiping varnish applied before the final cut can stabilize it enough to cut cleanly if it's not too punky. You might try that on a small piece before getting too involved in it.

Dan

robert baccus
05-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Do a soak in thinned (acetone) polyester or epoxy resin in a vinyl bag. It will soak overnite into the punk. Foolproof. (rough it out first)