PDA

View Full Version : Sneak peak at my new bench

Bill Wyko
05-09-2013, 8:55 PM
Been on this for quite a while now. Got the tail vise & bench front vise on, now for the twin screw tomorrow. Still have a long way to go but I've come a long way too. I'll be doing a how to install on the Veritas vises, these things are amazing. I can't believe how well they clamp with the slightest of effort. With my other bench vise at home, I practically have to stand on it to get 1/2 the holding power of these Veritas vises. There really is a huge difference in quality & grip over the less expensive ones. Either of the 2 require less than 1/8 turn to lock any project down solid and the feel is incredibly positive, no flex felt in any way. (Could be the 3" thick Jaw:D but I think it's the vises.)

Andrew Hughes
05-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Looks nice Bill is that bulbinga?

Victor Robinson
05-10-2013, 3:02 AM
drool. looks great, can't wait to see the finished bench!!

Rick Markham
05-10-2013, 5:21 AM
Sloppy woodworking as usual Bill :rolleyes:! Better send that hunk a junk my way, I will gladly add it to the burn pile :eek: (It will look nicer in my shop)

You Suck! (In a totally awesome way)

Bill Wyko
05-10-2013, 12:09 PM
LMAO, thanks guys, I built the jaw last night for the twin screw that goes at the other end. I'd say it's heavier than a Honda. The top is probably reaching the 250lb mark, getting really difficult to flip when I have to work on the bottom. The legs are done, just waiting for some more 8/4 maple to come in so I can make the stretchers. Slow far slow good.

Jeff Monson
05-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Sloppy woodworking as usual Bill :rolleyes:! Better send that hunk a junk my way, I will gladly add it to the burn pile :eek: (It will look nicer in my shop)

You Suck! (In a totally awesome way)

Well stated Rick!! Bill definitely puts the "s" in suck. Bill, kidding aside your bench looks great. Make sure to post up some pics when you get some finish on it.

Julie Moriarty
05-10-2013, 1:56 PM
You really do some nice work Bill! Now, I have this little project in mind and I wonder if you would stop by and do the whole thing for me. ;)

Bill Wyko
05-10-2013, 2:30 PM
Thanks again my friends, Julie, that's what i call WTBC....Will That Be Cash? If so, I'll get started right away LOL.

Bill Wyko
05-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Got the twin vise on today. I was so concerned that this was going to be difficult, it was actually a breeze. All 3 of these Veritas vises are incredible, so positive, smoothe and they tighten up so wonderfully. 1/8th turn and all three are the same, locked on and ready to hold for the duration.

Andrew Hughes
05-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Looks great, still curious what the dark wood on the side is?
It sure takes a lot of clamps to make a decent work bench.Decent clamps aren't cheap.One could spend as much on clamps as wood.Looks like you are still working on the stretchers.I see holes were wood shall go

Bill Wyko
05-10-2013, 11:53 PM
The wood on the sides is Bubinga. My friend owes me the wood for the stretchers, suppose to get it next week. I thought the vises were going to be a big hastle but Veritas has very clear precise instructions. Just follow them step by step and it's done, each step is simple too.

Tai Fu
05-11-2013, 12:17 AM
So is the bench safe to use without stretchers? Won't it tip over or something?

Is there any benefit to having an insanely thick top? I just completed a top that's 2.5" thick and most commercial metal wood vises wouldn't work if it's thicker than this because it only has brackets to fit a 2.5" top.

Bill Wyko
05-11-2013, 2:05 AM
The bench isn't really in use yet, I have a board clamped from one side to the other to hold it still for now. My bench is 2-1/2 thick as well, the sides are skirts that will have additional supports for holding long pieces. These Veritas vises are designed to be used with a skirt, this allows a deep clamping surface. Here are some more pics of the front vises depth & the tail vise. I'll be doing some how to's on their installation. I still have to do the pins that the wood rests on and make the HDPE screw slides under the bench. Our fellow BOTL (Brother Of The Lumber) Jim Matthews hooked me up with a nice sized piece to allow the screws to glide even smoother. Thanks Jim, more on this step when I do the how to, a key to a smooth vise that has a heave jaw.

Bill Wyko
05-11-2013, 5:27 PM
A little of today's progress.

Bill Wyko
05-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Tomorrow it goes in for surface sanding, then finish. looks like this weekends projects will include building the stretchers. Still have to drill the dowel holes & build the little tool boxes for the end of the tool tray but over all, I'm almost done. Later on I plan on building some drawers under the bench as well.

Bill Wyko
05-16-2013, 12:45 AM
More progress tonight, got finish on the bubinga for the tool tray & installed it. Also got the HDPE under the Veritas twin screw that Jim Mathews hooked me up with. Thanks again Jim, this works fantastic. You may notice the tool tray has gaps on either side & the screw holes are slotted. This is done to allow wood movement to be directed towards the center of the bench. This should prevent any problem with the condor tails coming apart.