PDA

View Full Version : grilling question

curtis rosche
05-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Ricks thread made me hungry, and its grilling season. So what rubs and marinades and glazes do you use? And what cuts of meat do you use? I know theres the typical ribs, and certain cuts of steak, but anyother cuts you use?

Glaze Ive been using:
2 pounds brown sugar
about 20 oz of Worcestershire sauce
about 12 oz of soy sauce
gralic powder
minced onion
crushed red pepper

sweet but with a tiny bit of spice.

Jim Rimmer
05-09-2013, 12:43 PM
In Texas, brisket is a very popular BBQ cut.

Eric DeSilva
05-09-2013, 1:28 PM
Well... Probably need to define terms first--to many, BBQ means grilling, and to others it means smoking. For grilling, I tend to like chicken (esp. using a rotisserie and vertical grill or "beer can" chicken) and beef--rib eyes, flank steaks and skirt steaks (for fajitas). Mostly when I grill I like thick cuts, and either use the America's Test Kitchen method of putting them in the oven at 200F until the center hits 95F then searing or cooking them sous vide and searing. For smoking, I'm a fan of pork--Boston Butt for pulled pork--although I do turkey breasts too. For some reason, I can't get brisket to come out well--I've been told even 12 hours is too short, so that may be the problem.

Don't have a rub handy, but I'll throw out this recipe for chimichurri, which is a South American sauce that is traditionally served with grilled beef and I really enjoy:

Ingredients:
1C Flat leaf parsley, packed
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2C Extra virgin olive oil
1/4C Red wine vinegar
2T water
1/C Red onion, finely minced
1t Salt
1/4t Red pepper flakes

Directions:

Process parsley and garlic in a food processor, stopping and scraping down sides, until the garlic and parsley are chopped fine (20 1 sec pulses). Transfer to a med. bowl. Whisk in the remaining ingredients until thoroughly blended. Let stand 30 minutes.

Greg Portland
05-09-2013, 1:47 PM
For chicken and pork rubs I use 1/3 sugar, 1/3 salt, and 1/3 spices as a starting point. For marinates I use 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 oil, 1/3 spices/herbs.

John Lohmann
05-09-2013, 8:06 PM
Try McCormick s Montreal Steak seasoning for beef, & or Dale's steak seasoning, keep it simple. A lot of people use Italian dressing, or just plain coke, I like rubs better than marinades, for pork butts rub it with yellow mustard & use whatever rub you like

Gary Hodgin
05-09-2013, 11:05 PM
I have quite a few recipes, but pretty much stick to the following for butts and ribs. I think this came from Chris Lilly.

¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
½ cup paprika
1/3cup garlic salt
1 TBLS. Chili Powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin

Tom Fischer
05-10-2013, 5:12 AM
I cook baby back ribs a few times each year on my Weber kettle grill.
Rub w/salt and pepper.
Five hours @ 240 degrees.
The new charcoal grills have thermometers.
I have an older one. Just take the thermometer out of the gas grill, and put it in one of the vent holes in the kettle grill.
Or just use a meat thermometer.
Adjust all the vent holes, keep the heat down.
Fuel is 2/3 charcoal, 1/3 applewood chunks. Pin cherry works OK too.
Refresh the fire 1/2 through.
I'd make them more often, but my Internist would be yelling at me :D

Harley Reasons
05-10-2013, 7:37 AM
As a Certified BBQ Judge (KCBS & Memphis in May), I've judged Chris Lilly's Big Bob Gibson team a few time in the past years. Chris is a master of the smoker and a friend of mine. Big Bob's also does a Coconut pie that is "Slap Yo Mamma" good.
I was the Pit Boss for my own team on the KCBS circuit for a few years. Having said that, the temperatures to shoot for when doing Butts is 225 degrees for about 8 hrs, for brisket, 225 degrees for about 12 hrs and for baby back ribs, 325 degrees for 3 hours.
On butts/briskets, get a Poulder remote probe thermometer, insert the probe in the thickest part of the meat, but not near the bone on a butt. Set the alarm to go off at 195 degrees for butts and 180 for brisket. Once you get your smoker to temp, DO NOT raise the lid, if you do raise the lid, add 20 min to your cook time for each lid raise.
For baby backs, after about 2-1/2 hours use the magic fork test (call it this and impress your friends), take a standard fork and stick in the meat between the bones, when it goes in and comes back out cleanly with out lifting the meat from the grill, your ribs are done. Remember, if someone tells you their ribs are "fall off the bone" tender, they're telling their ribs are cooked way over done.
Ribs were one of my specialties when I cooked on the circuit, I won the Tennessee state championship for best ribs in 1999 and in 2000 cooked in the world championship and placed seventh out of 200 plus teams.
Two cardinal sins for ribs is boiling them before smoking and wrapping them in aluminum foil. Always cook ribs using indirect heat even on a grill, fire on one side, ribs on the other side. If your cooking ribs on a grill, use a rib rack.
I'll try and find my old recipe book and share some of those w/ ya'll.

Larry Whitlow
05-12-2013, 10:55 PM
This isn't as sophisticated as the homemade brews you guys are talking about (I expect some of you will be rolling your eyes at this) I use Kinder's BBQ sauce exclusively. If I tried to change there would be a mutiny in the family and I would be forced to walk the plank. Kinders is a deli and BBQ place with several stores around the San Francisco East Bay. Their sauce is also at Costco and some of the major grocery stores here. I'm not sure if they are elsewhere. If I'm making burgers, I'll mix worchestershire sauce in with the ground beef. If I run out of store bought sauce for some reason, I've been known to mix Soy and Worchestershire sauce in a pinch. Maybe add a little ketchup.

Pat Barry
05-13-2013, 1:11 PM
I just did grilled shrimp and lobster tails on the grill for Mothers day. First time ever with the lobster and it turned out great with just bit of garlic butter. I found the recipe on the web with a quick search for lobster tail grilling. The shrimp I marinated in shrimp cocktail sausce with a drizzle of red wine vinegar and a dusting of garlic powder. I only regret I didn't make more. My wife was very happy with her Mothers day lunch.

David Weaver
05-13-2013, 1:15 PM
garlic butter, salt and pepper on every cut, doesn't matter what the cut is. I don't grill much, though. I'd rather pan sear the steak and throw it in the oven with a meat probe in it. Turns out perfect every time, and it's quick.

Even at that, cooks or someone said that searing doesn't actually do anything. They tried various methods and tested the steak, and what we think the searing does is all in our heads. I still do it, anyway. I can smell the steak for a while when I do it. Makes me feel better, but a better effect might be the oven first and then sear (since oven after sear softens the sear).

Eric DeSilva
05-13-2013, 1:31 PM
Even at that, cooks or someone said that searing doesn't actually do anything. They tried various methods and tested the steak, and what we think the searing does is all in our heads. I still do it, anyway. I can smell the steak for a while when I do it. Makes me feel better, but a better effect might be the oven first and then sear (since oven after sear softens the sear).

I think you may be thinking of the old saw that "searing seals in juices," which has been pretty soundly disproven. On the other hand, Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen and most other cooking authorities will continue to sear steaks because searing causes the Maillard reaction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction) to occur, which creates lots and lots of tasty flavors.

If you want to preserve the crust, try the oven first--ATK used to recommend putting thick steaks in the oven at 200F until the center hit 95F or so, then searing. Putting it in the oven first dries the outside of the steak (improving the Maillard reaction) and allows a very fast, very high temperature sear that results in virtually no gradation in doneness from outside to inside--especially avoiding the gray band between "sear" and "center" that is tough and chewy. The ultimate extreme of this is to sous vide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous_vide) the steak--vacuum seal the steak and submerge in a carefully temperature controlled water bath at 130F--then sear the steak with a MAPP gas torch. I actually do a lot of steaks these days using sous vide, but I still like the grill over the plumbing torch.

Prashun Patel
05-13-2013, 2:03 PM
That glaze sounds like what I use mostly.

However, I use a little cider vinegar, paprika and tobasco and I don't use the soy sauce.

For slow cooking ribs, my 'mop' is all the ingredients without the sugar until the last 30 mins.

Lately I've been adding dried ancho chili powder. Wow.

David Weaver
05-13-2013, 3:05 PM
Eric, i think you nailed what I read, and provided the part that I didn't think about (the flavor). At the time, i was focused on searing as keeping moisture in so that's all I could remember.

I'm a low brow eater, kind of stuck with searing because I liked the way it tasted and I could monitor what was going on with the garlic butter before putting the steak in the oven. Might try the torch tip, though. Thanks!

I can never get my stuff quite like ruths chris, and I am way too cheap to eat there on my own dime. but, man...whatever's in their garlic butter here and however the local chef prepares steaks is good.